Canada Russia Summit Series - Junior Edition

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
@ Zine : Russian names are very difficult for most Canucks...But off the top of my head...I recall guys like Radulov, Voloshenko, Shirokov, Makarov, Varlamov , Mayer , Khodobin ( sp ? )

All Playing in the ADT Challenge...and certainly I recall Rad, Vol & Shir all being mainstays on ur Russian WJC squads ...Makarov was quite the nifty little player ( with of course a famous father ! ) , and Mayer caught my eye too ( particularly his German Sounding name ) + he also often appeared on the goal scoring sheet... so surely everyone of these guys were Russian WJC regulars as well...Varlamov was ur goalie in one of the Gold Medal Games wasn't he ?

I did glance briefly at a couple Russian ADT rosters...and man a lot of those names looked damn familiar as well ...I was too lazy to look up Russian WJC rosters to cross reference them + a lot of those names are bloody difficult for a Canuck...but I'm sure quite a number of those names I saw...who I didn't mention ...likewise played on Russian WJC teams ...perhaps not the same year they appeared in ADT...but at the very least the next year

Btw...I also read a news interview in rushockey.com...about a year ago...where the Russian Junior Coach ( Popikan sp ? ) speaks glowingly about the ADT Canada Russia challenge...how its a great prep for the WJHC & helps expose his young guys to a completely alien/ more physical style of hockey...He also decries the fact that RSL teams refuse to release their U20 RSLers for that ADT Challenge despite him seemingly pleading for them to do so..Now maybe some of his squad did play games in RSL...But my understanding is that the U20's who stuck in RSL, rather then being sent back down to their jr team counterparts... were never released for this ADT tourney...

Zine

Of course it matters wether they're split squads...since split squads ( in theory ) but for the awesome depth we have in the CHL...wouldn't be as strong...Granted a lot of our top level juniors do play in the tourney ( Not on the same team mind u ) ...but so do a lot of urs as I pointed out...

My main bone of contention is ur claim that this was a Russian C or D team vs. Canuck A teams...that's a bit of a stretch !....U look at an average " Q " Adt Challenge game roster & u've got maybe 2 or 3 guys that end up playing for our Nats...Compared to our nats ...who also include WHL, OHL, NCAA and even the odd U20 NHLer ...Team Q ' split squad ' is certainly a C Team...

Now these Q guys are playing Russian Selects who likewise have a few guys who end up playing for the Russian Nats...Yet u imply that the teams dont compare....Well If they don't...that's mainly because we Canucks have much greater depth of talented Juniors than u Russians Do ...Like I said before

Zine :

Oft times the guys that play in both games are on the bubble ...( Eg Sam Gagner ) and Hockey Canada and the WJC coaching staff etc...wanna get a better look at them

Zine: Russia NEVER sends any of their best players..…..not even close to it.

Really not even close ? What Nonsense ! Radulov, Voloshenko, Shirokov, Makarov, Varlamov , Mayer , Khodobin ....That's just the names I can remember...but remember Russian names are tough for us...Plenty o names I can kinda remember but I'd butcher them for sure....+ I'm not gonna bother to look them up...Coulda gone to iihf.com & checked past Rus U20 rosters as well...But I didn't/couldn't be bothered

ZINE :

Well again ur Jr Coach Popikhin thought ADT was important for RUS Jr Development ...There's been plenty of A and B level players in those lineups who did end up on Russian Nat teams...Despite the fact that u seemingly...only feel secure ( since they usually get clobber by CHL squads ) in calling them C or D teams

To Reiterate : only a few guys from a Q ADT game roster ( for example ) end up on our Nats...Ergo...I could easily make the argument that this was only our C or D team...Thing is ...because of our tremendous depth...we Canucks could put 6 teams together easily...that'd be capable of beating the RUS WJC Nats ' A ' Team...on a given night...

By Comparision, a true RUS C or D Jr Team...imo...would probably get beat 10-1 even by a Q split squad...

LIKE I SAID BEFORE OUR DEPTH OF JR TALENT...IS PROBABLY 5 TIMES WHAT IT IS IN RUSSIAN...DOUBT THAT'S ANY EXAGGERATION EITHER

NOSTROVIA/CHEERS !

I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. And as a Canadian, it's rather embarrassing.

toastman344*

RUSqueelin :
I don't think you ( BLS ) have a clue what you are talking about. And as a Canadian, it's rather embarrassing.

Really ? Wanna give me a for instance their sm****ss ? Or r u just blowin smoke ? Btw ur handle sounds RUSsian...U mean to say ur Canadian ???

CHEERS

jc25

Jul 5, 2007
New York
mms://a846.l3156036845.c31560.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/846/31560/v0001/reflector:36845|036845|6akc

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Super_series.gif

ss_team.jpg
[HOME PAGE]

Game 1

can.gif
Canada 4

rus.gif
Russia 2

CANADA LEADS SERIES 1-0.
[GAME SUMMARY]

Series_42943.jpg
[TSN STORY]

Links:

SlavaKM

Jan 1, 2007
Washington DC
I just visited Montreal, Canada last weekend. It was my first ever trip to Canada.
And if Russia loses the tourney, i won't be too dissapointed...Canadians are cool peoples.

CB420

Aug 13, 2005
Edmonton,AB
Impressive game today, Jonathan Bernier man, was solid, when called upon he closed to russians off on every chance they generated. Seemed like the russians still want to controll the puck, but they arent creating as much as i though they might. Russians are known for being great skaters, seems like they wanna do everything 2 on 5, like little give and goes all game, that eventaully were broken up, shots everything mostly from the outside, not letting them stickhandle in the slot, walk in off the half boards, Russia even resorted on a 5 on 3 to taking one-timers from the D in an umbrella, not much chances down low behind the net, what most Russians love the puck down low, more of an overload. Canadian D are blocking a buncha shots though. Cherapanov played better today, "Keep ur head up 7!" he had a few shots on net nothing spectacular though.

Nice goal by Perron, slick hands in tight wearing the Russian Dman on his shoulder, just gettin a peice of it wit the backhand just enough for the puck to glide in.

We dominated the faceoff circle today again, no decision, Russian centres just can't match up with us right now. Doughty, Alzner, played good ,stood out a bit. Thing's started to get a bit more intense through the ladder stage of the 2nd and into the 3rd to finish the game. Bit of frustration on the Russians part, i always considerd Nemchinov as a competive player in his NHL'er days , remmeber him mostly with New Jersey, good role player, he's gonna have to get his boys fired up or look at comming back to Canada down 4-0 or 3-1...should be another fast paced hard hitting game Friday, then saturday, looking forward to it.

Bobby Lu

Feb 7, 2007
Are we using this thread for GDT's? It looks like no ones started one for Game 3...

Or has everyone lost interest in this series already? This has been a pretty good game so far...

useless series

Utter domination by Canada. It hasn't even been in Canada yet on the smaller ice surface where they can play more of an North American style game. Not to mention the crowds will be outstanding to give them a boost.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Game 3 - August 31, 2007

can.gif
Canada 6

rus.gif
Russia 2

CANADA LEADS SERIES 3-0.
[GAME SUMMARY]

turris_super_hor.jpg
[SPORTSNET STORY]

perron_36943.jpg
[TSN STORY]

Links:Commentary:
  • I saw large parts of the first two periods and must say that this is a very severe mismatch. The Russians have their moments but they don't have a guy who makes you go "WOW". And this is on home ice!

Could this be an 8 game sweep? I guess the game in Winnipeg will mathematically clinch it for TC if that's the case.

goatt

Aug 17, 2007
Is there a place I can see stats from the whole tournament? I found it somewhere yesterday on TSN....and now of course I can't find it again.

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
useless series

Utter domination by Canada. It hasn't even been in Canada yet on the smaller ice surface where they can play more of an North American style game. Not to mention the crowds will be outstanding to give them a boost.

Couldn't agree more. Just came back from the 8-1 spanking in Winnipeg. I'm happy I saw the series clincher, but in game 5?

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
As a Canadian fan, I have to say, this sucks. I watched a bit of one game and I wasn't excited at all. I'm not trying to rub it in, its just a massive mismatch. I don't quite know why. Such domination.

Nas_Bert_Morr*

Decent game today. Russia might actually squeak one out.

Giuseppe Sallo

ELE-VAT-ED
Apr 20, 2007
Back to L.A
twitter.com
Finally the russians showed up, and came to play. A 4-4 draw is decent but the refs missed some crucial calls in the end.

Man, Kyle turris is impressing me with his quick hands. He has an amzing ability with that quick release.

Easily the best game of this tourney!!!

JetsFanInVic2011

Formerly devils1983
Aug 22, 2004
Victoria, BC
Hey don't post anything in favour for the Russians on the SportsNet site...they'll delete it. I tried and I was booted from it. Censorship at its best on that site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad