Canada - Russia Statistical Analysis (not expert)

Fulcrum

I've rewatched the game in great detail, paying attention to positioning,EVERY pass, ind. performance. I've wrote an in-depth analysis from a Russian fan's point of view, BUT I critically looked at Canada (and found they were great).

Feel free to skim through it, some interesting stats there. Let me know what you think...

http://ncritic.blog.ca/

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
I didn't read your blog in depth but browsed through it. What the stats say is that Canada got the results they wanted from their game plan whenever they play a Russian team. Lots of puck pressure, speed and aggressive forecheck to cause turnovers and keep the play to the outside and neutralize Russian skill with strong board play.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Nice work on the stats, Fulcrum. As you can tell by my username, I am a big fan of hockey statistics. I wish the IIHF had more of them. I didn't see any "Time On Ice" stat on their site and though they do keep faceoff stats there doesn't seem to be any game report that lists them.

As we have only played the one game you can tell from the overall faceoff leaders that Canada did dominate the Russians on the draws. In fact the highest percentage that any Russian center posted on the night is 46%. Looks like another area that Russia is going to have to work on if they want to win this tournament.

Fulcrum

Thanks.

Faceoffs is something all the future Russian teams will have to improve on if they want to win consistently. Not sure its something they can do in the span of this tournament though.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
i'd like to see something like your error list for the canadian team. Pretty useful info, gives a bit of perspective.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
You know what would be an interesting stat? Pass completions. I was just thinking the turnovers stat lacks context in a way. A guy who plays only 2 minutes probably doesn't make any turnovers (Or maybe one big one that leads to his benching. Lol), so that needs to be cross referenced with playing time, or how many succesful passes he makes. I also don't think that stat exists anywhere in hockey so you could be the first.

Fulcrum

I'll see what I can do. Certainly pass completions would be a bit more daunting- full time job :)? hehe

Perhaps not EVERY pass, but opportune passes- leading to shots, breakaways, advantage moments. I find that if these stats are read carefully, provide a depth perspective of where the game needs to improve. As we all know, Blue lines are key to games, and when you get into professional (NHL) hockey, posession losses on the blue lines are game changers most often.

I'm hoping to do a preview for some Canada and Russia games based on some more unique stats.

Thanks for the feedback!

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
imagine if they recorded every player's passing percentage in hockey. And added in interceptions. Everyone could have a passer rating like nfl qbs.

that would probably take another stat-keeper or 2 at every game though.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I've rewatched the game in great detail, paying attention to positioning,EVERY pass, ind. performance. I've wrote an in-depth analysis from a Russian fan's point of view, BUT I critically looked at Canada (and found they were great).

Feel free to skim through it, some interesting stats there. Let me know what you think...

http://ncritic.blog.ca/

Good job brat. Keep it coming for tonight's game please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad