OT: Canada qualifies for Rugby World Cup

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Any other rugby fans here?

Canada defeats the US 13-11, for an aggregate of 40-20 over their two-game qualifier to advance to the 2015 Rugby World Cup in England. They will be in a pool with France, Ireland, Italy and one other European team tbd.

Canada is currently ranked 14th in the world, and has seemed unable to make the jump to the upper echelon of world teams. One or two victories at the world cup would be a pretty big deal, advancing to the second round would be huge.

My friend is the strength and conditioning coach for the team, so I occasionally get some inside info. For instance, the team stayed at the same hotel in Toronto as Hulk Hogan, who later lost in a staged arm wrestling competition with Mayor/Chris Farley-impersonator Rob Ford.

Go Canada!

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Never had any knowledge of or interest in the sport before, but I really got into it during the 2011 World Cup. I'll definitely be looking forward to 2015. :nod:

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
I can't say I'm a rabid Rugby fan, but I played in middle school and high school and I watch the big tournaments. Pretty excited about this win, Canada showed very well at the last world cup and and I think the team has real promise to maybe pull an upset win.

Aphid Attraction

Jan 17, 2013
I can't say I'm a rabid Rugby fan, but I played in middle school and high school and I watch the big tournaments. Pretty excited about this win, Canada showed very well at the last world cup and and I think the team has real promise to maybe pull an upset win.

Canadas biggest need is a world class goal kicker (based on 2011) Without one they will always struggle somewhat, with one I think they have the ability to knock over the "six nations" teams from time to time. IMO If Canada have converted all their penalties they would have beaten France in 2011 and booked a place in the next round.

KiwiNucksFan

Dive Dive Dive
Feb 19, 2013
Auckland
Congrats to you guys :) I was impressed with the team in 2011, particularly the game against Japan. I think you guys will beat the european qualifier and maybe Italy.

Ziploc has your friend heard anything about the Super Rugby expansion into North America in 2016? It was talk about down here earlier in the year but nothing since.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Good that we're though but it was an expected result and would have been very disappointing to lose to the US.

I was in NZ for the 2011 World Cup, went to several games, and it was amazing - the atmosphere around Napier for the Canada-France game was unreal and it might be my favourite sporting experience ever.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Congrats to you guys :) I was impressed with the team in 2011, particularly the game against Japan. I think you guys will beat the european qualifier and maybe Italy.

Ziploc has your friend heard anything about the Super Rugby expansion into North America in 2016? It was talk about down here earlier in the year but nothing since.

He says he's heard some rumours too, but it would take an awful lot for it to happen, especially by 2016. So he says it's possible, and would be awesome, but not likely right now.

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
A pretty sloppy game by us Canadians. Our defense outshines our offense in my opinion. Seems we won because the yanks couldn't get their sh$t together and score a try.

Admittedly a rugby noob, but love the game and wish it were bigger in Canada

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Not crazy about the group we're in. Finishing 3rd (and automatically qualifying for Japan 2019) will be a much taller task than in 2011. Looking forward to the Pacific Nations Cup and the test vs. Scotland next summer. Win the tournament and go punch for punch with Scotland and I'll like our chances of beating Italy in the group stage.

Either way, good stuff boys, let the beard growing begin! :handclap:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Kleeberger is on the roster for the BC Bears this coming weekend in Langford. Friday vs. Ontario, Monday vs. Atlantic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad