Canada - Ivan Hlinka Champions (Part II)

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Steve Spotts comments on Sweden after win.....

Canadian head coach Steve Spott revelled in the victory after the game. He accused the Swedes of videotaping Canadian practices and went on to criticize their general demeanour at the tournament.

"I can tell you I really believe the Swedes won their gold medal last Monday," Spott said. "The way they handled themselves throughout the week, it was a little bit surprising to me. They just did things that I thought were uncharacteristic of them."

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Beating Canada is such a big deal, and makes other teams so happy even if it isn't a medal rounds. To me, that is the ultimate compliment.

DrPabloRamirez

Nov 23, 2010
My amateur all stars of "Piestany" group (USA, Finland, Russia, Slovakia):
Andrei Vasilievski (Russia) - Ville Pokka (Finland), Teddy Doherty (USA) - Jusso Ikonen (Finland), Alexander Barkov (Finland), Vincent Hinostroza (USA)

Other interesting players:
Finland: D Rasmus Ristolainen, D Niklas Tikkinen, LW Teuvo Teräväinen
Russia: RW Denis Kamaev, C Arseni Khatsei, C Bogdan Yakimov
USA: D Ian Brady, RW Brendan Silk, C Cristobal Nieves, LW Jordan Masters
Slovakia: C Marko Dano, C Matej Paulovic

I expected more from Alex Galchenyuk and Mikhail Grigorenko.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
My amateur all stars of "Piestany" group (USA, Finland, Russia, Slovakia):
Andrei Vasilievski (Russia) - Ville Pokka (Finland), Teddy Doherty (USA) - Jusso Ikonen (Finland), Alexander Barkov (Finland), Vincent Hinostroza (USA)

Other interesting players:
Finland: D Rasmus Ristolainen, D Niklas Tikkinen, LW Teuvo Teräväinen
Russia: RW Denis Kamaev, C Arseni Khatsei, C Bogdan Yakimov
USA: D Ian Brady, RW Brendan Silk, C Cristobal Nieves, LW Jordan Masters
Slovakia: C Marko Dano, C Matej Paulovic

I expected more from Alex Galchenyuk and Mikhail Grigorenko.

Check your PM ;)

vezna*

glad canada won. couldn't bear to handle the arrogance from the europeans if we lost

mdonah

Feb 11, 2008
Does anybody know why the Hlinka tournement is not televised
in Canada at least the final I have a tradition to email the
sports channels and ask why they respond by not responding
great customer service

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Here is my article on how some of Canada's players did throughout the tournament.

Aye TourettesGuy,

I tried to post the following question 3 times but it did NOT stick...

I have heard mixed reviews on upcoming drafts. Some say the next couple years will be weak while others say, while there are no Crosby's, Stamkos's or OV's, 2012 is the strongest in years.

What do you think?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I do not mean this as a jab against the Swedes (I really don't) but...

As someone who watches International Tournaments and was there at the WJR's in Buffalo I have to ask...

Why are the Swedes so confrontational now?

They come out of the gates like a house on fire and then spend the remainder of the tournament taunting / trashing other teams. Then they fold before / in the finals.

The Russians USE to do this but seem to have learned their lesson after being served humble pie year after year.

Swedish teams are so deep and talented...

Why not just direct all that energy into winning Gold?

(* You know what, I am going to start a NEW THREAD (WEW HEW!!!) asking exactly this. *)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Aye TourettesGuy,

I tried to post the following question 3 times but it did NOT stick...

I have heard mixed reviews on upcoming drafts. Some say the next couple years will be weak while others say, while there are no Crosby's, Stamkos's or OV's, 2012 is the strongest in years.

What do you think?

I beileve it will be a really strong draft, think of it like the 2008 draft.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
fantastic footage! Thank you DrPabloRamirez :handclap:, couldn't stand that UStream crap.

His Beardliness*

As someone who watches International Tournaments and was there at the WJR's in Buffalo I have to ask...

They come out of the gates like a house on fire and then spend the remainder of the tournament taunting / trashing other teams. Then they fold before / in the finals.

The Russians USE to do this but seem to have learned their lesson after being served humble pie year after year.

(* You know what, I am going to start a NEW THREAD (WEW HEW!!!) asking exactly this. *)

While Sweden have a lot of talent we don't have the depth to match Canada obviously because we have a lot less hockey players. Sweden can beat Canada sometimes and i guess we beat Canada more in round robin because every game against Canada have to be played like a final.

Why Sweden may be more confrontational now is maybe because we've moved focus from Finland as a rival to Canada. Also Canada can be huge gaping *******s when it comes to hockey so Sweden is just responding.

Dosing

Sep 10, 2010
Edenryd

Yea being a bit to blunt can be a problem for swedes from time to time:laugh: On the other side of it canada can be very insecure when it comes to hockey(see buffalo), which is why the 2 dont mix that well. And most swedes in hockey have learned this so ofc theres gonna be some stupid kid now and again pulling something to see the reaction.
As for folding the biggest problem is swedish kids dont face the "do or die" situation as often or early as chl players which has been a big problem on junior level, but on the other hand it gives some that otherwise would have been out of the game a chance to become something.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Canada can be huge gaping *******s when it comes to hockey so Sweden is just responding.

LMAO!!!! Really?

I will take your word for it because, as a Canadian, I just see it as Canadian heart and desire.

Thanks for your input. It was insightful and made me laugh (in a good way).

:)

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Yea being a bit to blunt can be a problem for swedes from time to time:laugh: On the other side of it canada can be very insecure when it comes to hockey(see buffalo), which is why the 2 dont mix that well. And most swedes in hockey have learned this so ofc theres gonna be some stupid kid now and again pulling something to see the reaction.
As for folding the biggest problem is swedish kids dont face the "do or die" situation as often or early as chl players which has been a big problem on junior level, but on the other hand it gives some that otherwise would have been out of the game a chance to become something.

Fair enough but I also see the Swedes being confrontational against other teams as well.

I do have to disagree about the insecure in Buffalo comment. I was there and thousands of us Canadians stayed and applauded the Russian kids after the won.

Canadians expect to win every international tournament. You can't fault us for that. But, at the same time, I think we are very sportsmanlike on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad