Canada Fail

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I just read that TSN and Sportsnet lost EPL rights starting next year. It’s now going to be online on DAZN.
Oh great...
I hate Dazn with passion they are awful but I would have no other choice than pay for them next year.

That's awful for Sportnet and TSN. They will probably fill their empty schedule with horse races, Nascar, Golf and Curling now.

Reactions: CNote

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Absolutely terrible that there will be close to no football on tv. I remember 15 years ago watching games from England Spain Germany Holland Italy every saturday. And Euro Cups both Champions and UEFA. This might help stop the progress of the sport in this country to some degree.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I refuse to pay additional monthly fees for a streaming channel when I already pay a lot for cable. Illegal streaming it will be for me.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
What sucks is that it used to be so easy to enter any sports bar/restaurant and just watch a CL match anywhere in the city thanks to TSN and Sportsnet. None have DAZN as of now and they likely won't pay for a subscription anytime soon as long as DAZN doesn't have exclusive NHL rights

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I refuse to pay additional monthly fees for a streaming channel when I already pay a lot for cable. Illegal streaming it will be for me.
I'm likely going to cancel the TSN/Sportsnet sports package now. No point in having it for hockey, and I don't watch any other sports on it. If DAZN work at all, which I have heard is questionable, I'd consider paying for it.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I'm likely going to cancel the TSN/Sportsnet sports package now. No point in having it for hockey, and I don't watch any other sports on it. If DAZN work at all, which I have heard is questionable, I'd consider paying for it.
Thats exactly what I will do. Cancel my tv subscription, keep the most cheap basic TV package and get only Dazn.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I haven't had a TV in a few years, so I'm possibly very wrong on this, but don't cable packages which include NBC have the US Premier League feed?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I haven't had a TV in a few years, so I'm possibly very wrong on this, but don't cable packages which include NBC have the US Premier League feed?
Only when NBC is showing a game on their main channel, which isn't every weekend, and when they do it's only one game. You can't get NBC Sports in Canada.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

How do you plan to watch hockey then?

My wife also watches cable TV. We tried Netflix and didn’t like it. Netflix getting much more expensive in Canada as well (like 18$ a month taxes included I think)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How do you plan to watch hockey then?

My wife also watches cable TV. We tried Netflix and didn’t like it. Netflix getting much more expensive in Canada as well (like 18$ a month taxes included I think)
I cheer for an out of market team, so I rarely ever watch games on TSN or Sportsnet. Gamecenter or streams will do fine.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
This is very very bad. Losing the champions league, Championship and Serie A was a huge blow but this is an absolute hammer blow. How is this half assed group managing to do this? Simply awful quality , feels like a local cable production.

Going to force me into DAZN and away from cable. Hard to believe.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
As a liga watcher this is great news. Once bars start offering this it's a lot better in the long run.

Although DAZN need to improve it's not as bad as some are making it out to be.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This is very very bad. Losing the champions league, Championship and Serie A was a huge blow but this is an absolute hammer blow. How is this half assed group managing to do this? Simply awful quality , feels like a local cable production.

Going to force me into DAZN and away from cable. Hard to believe.
My feeling..

Sportsnet and TSN paid almost nothing in the past for the football rights (CL, EPL) compared to other similar market.

This company originating from the UK (Dazn) with online platform offer an appropriate fee
to the rights and then TSN, Sportsnet used to pay so little for their football rights refuse to match and enter a bidding war.

The good news about Dazn getting the rights. I don't need Sportnets and TSN anymore. They will have all the major soccer games from EPL, CL, la liga, Serie A, Ligue 1.

The bad news Dazn stream are awful and lagging like shit when it's a major event.

My final take if Dazn provide quality stream without interruption it's fine and worth my money. If not... It's better going illegaly and not pay for a shitty stream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad