GDT: "Canada Day Massacre" | Free Agent Frenzy | 7.1.19 | 10 AM MST

Who will the Oilers sign in free agency?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
They're not adding a defenseman my dudes. It's not happening. Or at least, if they do, it won't be a real ticket. Million or less in the depth pile/veteran #7 sort of deal and that might happen later in the week.

I don't think you buy out Sekera on the 30th unless you know you'll spend the money. I have no idea how that will shape out, but I expect them to spend 6-8M dollars tomorrow not including Mike Smith.

Reactions: Zaddy

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Why are so many people saying Alex Chiasson.

I really don't see it unless that ask is way down from what people are thinking. He's more likely to score less than 10 next year than he is to score 20. His number would have to be in the 1 range.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
He's not an elite or even a great player, but he's definitely better than Russell and he'd be at least the second best d-man on the Oilers right now.

I vehemently disagree with the notion that he'd be better than Klefbom or Nurse, whichever you're suggesting he's better than. I honestly think he's an average second pairing defenseman with huge holes in his game. He makes more errors than ANY Oiler defender and that's saying a friggin lot.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
We will end up with pair of veterans in Vanek, Pominville, Boyle and Smith. That would be a Holland kind of thing to do to get some veteran leadership and I would be ok with that.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I vehemently disagree with the notion that he'd be better than Klefbom or Nurse, whichever you're suggesting he's better than. I honestly think he's an average second pairing defenseman with huge holes in his game. He makes more errors than ANY Oiler defender.

Neither Klef nor Nurse are consistent either. Gardiner brings more consistent offense than either of them and is probably on par with Nurse in terms of defensive brainfarts (Klef is more consistent in that regard).

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Neither Klef nor Nurse are consistent either. Gardiner brings more consistent offense than either of them and is probably on par with Nurse in terms of defensive brainfarts (Klef is more consistent in that regard).

I watched a ton of the Leafs the last two years (not my idea) and I don't agree. Gardiner is one of the most awe-inspiring mess-up machines going.

There is obviously offensive dimension there, but he's not a strong puck mover. He's really one dimensional in ways that Klefa and Nurse aren't. I'm not even sure I would trade Adam Larsson for him at the same money because I don't think he was that much better than Adam Larsson this year. They hated him until they lost him and replaced him with nothing, but even then...

People really underestimate how assy the Leafs defense was. I believe it was worse than the Oilers, at least until Muzzin.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I watched a ton of the Leafs the last two years (not my idea) and I don't agree. Gardiner is one of the most awe-inspiring mess-up machines going.

There is obviously offensive dimension there, but he's not a strong puck mover. He's really one dimensional in ways that Klefa and Nurse aren't. I'm not even sure I would trade Adam Larsson for him at the same money because I don't think he was that much better than Adam Larsson this year. They hated him until they lost him and replaced him with nothing, but even then...

People really underestimate how assy the Leafs defense was. I believe it was worse than the Oilers, at least until Muzzin.

I think we've gotten somewhat immune to Nurse's brainfarts as Oilers fans, because we see them on a game by game basis. His game isn't really any less chaotic than Gardiner's. Klef brings more stability (although even he makes some mind boggling defensive brainfarts sometimes) but he doesn't have the pure offense to his game that Gardiner does.

On balance I'd still say Gardiner would be the second-best defenseman here. Depending on the game he might be better than Klef, Nurse or both.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Okay we're obviously going to sign Chiasson, so how much is it going to be for?
tenor.gif

Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nyquist to a contract people aren't going to like
Nichushkin on a 1 year
Roslovic for Puljujarvi

Are my guesses.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Why are so many people saying Alex Chiasson.

I really don't see it unless that ask is way down from what people are thinking. He's more likely to score less than 10 next year than he is to score 20. His number would have to be in the 1 range.

Because Connolly was rumored to be his successor for weeks, and now that we can't afford him, the spot now remains open for him.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Smith has been reported already - so he's here - Talbot is taking his place in Calgary. Corey Perry on a cheap 'show me' one year deal, and maybe re-sign Chaisson.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I can see Holland calling up Vanek after missing Connelly.

While I think the Sekera buyout is to open up a spot for Jones, I can still see them chasing Strålman to help bridge the gap.

Finally, I can see a cheaper LH shot like Panik, Brassard, or Fippula. Maybe Granlund if the others price themselves out.

I'm not a massive fan of Smith, but he does check a lot of the boxes I wanted for the backup (cheap vet/ ex-starter signed for 1 year). Leaves the door open for Starrett or possibly Wells or Skinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad