Canada Cup 2005 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
Has anyone heard of or have any knowledge of this story concerning Canada Cup 2005 from Aug. 31 through Sept. 4? I had not heard of this event until I saw this posted on www.icehockeypage.de, a German hockey website. If it is true, is this tournament being run by the NHL or NHLPA, and is it contingent upon a new collective bargaining agreement between the players union and the league? Thanks for any help or answers related to this.

Canada Cup 2005
Written: 23-02-2005, 18:03 by Paul Juergen
The German national team meets in the Canada Cup 2005 31 August until 4 September - in the group of North America the following opponents:
31.8. - Canada
1.9. - USA
3.9. - Slovakia
Possible play places are Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver

in the European's group play:
Sweden, Finland, Russia and Czech Republic
Play place: Prague

Two groups (first place teams) play the final game, which is to take place at the play place of the North America group.

It is intended that the NHL will become certified players.

Jaysfanatic*

Canada Cup.......that's gotta be wrong, cause we had the World Cup last year, and they renamed the Canada Cup to the World Cup.....maybe Germany is a year behind :dunno:

svetovy poharu

Dec 7, 2004
My memory just recalled reading something about a month or so ago (I believe on Slam Sports) where the NHL players union discussed organising an international tourney in the event they could not reach an agreement with the owners. It was, if I remember correctly, to be held in late Spring in non-NHL arenas in North America and major venues in Europe. I never heard anything more about it until I saw this story the other day on the German website. Thought perhaps someone on this forum may have read or heard something related to this story in North American newspapers or websites.

I was wondering if perhaps this tournament was to help fund the Players Union or to prepare the players for a possible training camp in 2005 if the NHL and NHLPA somehow came to an agreement over the summer. As I said, I find it very unusual that I have not read anything about this Canada Cup 2005 in North American press
but rather on a German hockey site.

monkey_00*

First, Alan Eagleson owns the rights to the name "Canada Cup" as well as the trophy and those jerseys that Canada use to wear.........this is why the tourney is now called World Cup and Canada has to resort to using the jerseys that the juniors hockey team uses...............

Secondly, the NHLPA has something up their sleeves...........they are planning to have a major tournament involving their players maybe to challenge for the Stanley Cup........if not Stanley they want to have a tournament of some sort........back in 1994 when the players were locked out they had a 4-on-4 tournament involving their players and they played that tournament here in Hamilton Ontario at the Copps Coliseum.......the tourney consisted of NHLers from 4 regions: Ontario, Quebec, Western Canada and a Team USA........Ontario defeated Quebec in the Finals.........they may decide to do something this time like that '94 tourney except they would add more teams, one from every province in Canada and the American players might be split up in two regions: USA-WEST and USA-EAST.......might even add teams from Europe too: Sweden, Czechs, Russia, etc.....and it would have to be in non-NHL Arenas like Winnipeg, Quebec, Hamilton, Cleveland, Houston and Vegas.............some sort of tornament is in the works.........trust me on that one.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad