Can You Name 10 Centers Definitively Better than Tavares?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
Seguin
Bergeron
Kuznetsov
Mackinnon
Scheifele

There’s 10. As well as Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, Backstrom, and Getzlaf all being right there as well.

For the record I think he is a top 10 C (8-10 range), but since your post sounded whiny that he isn’t a unanimous top 10 C, it was pretty easy to think of 10 that have stronger cases than JT does.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I keep hearing that Tavares is a top 10-20 Center.
So I challenge thee to name 10 that are without a doubt better than Tavares right now.
The list has been provided multiple times in other threads. Do a search.
In the top 30 players in the NHL for example he is currently being voted as the 15th best. Which puts him just inside the top 10 centers. The list will change from year to year and different people will have different views.

Reactions: Morrison

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
Seguin

Bergeron
Kuznetsov
Mackinnon
Scheifele

There’s 10. As well as Matthews, Eichel, Barkov, Backstrom, and Getzlaf all being right there as well.

For the record I think he is a top 10 C (8-10 range), but since your post sounded whiny that he isn’t a unanimous top 10 C, it was pretty easy to think of 10 that have stronger cases than JT does.
Nope to the bolded. And while MacKinnon had a great season, I think he has to repeat what he did to be definitively better.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Kopitar
Stamkos
Seguin
Bergeron
Kuznetsov
Mackinnon
Scheifele

I agree with your list for the most part but I don't think Stamkos is any better than JT.

I would add Barkov to that list and move Stammer on the HM list.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Nope to the bolded. And while MacKinnon had a great season, I think he has to repeat what he did to be definitively better.
I agree scheifele is on the border there, id take JT. Also agreed MacKinnon needs to repeat.

But personally I’d definitely take Seguin/Stamkos over JT if starting a team.
I’ve always voted that way over the past decade of JT-Stamkos polls

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Yay, let's talk more about the Leafs!

As for the topic...

1. McDavid
2. Crosby
3. Malkin
4. Kopitar
5. Scheifele
6. Bergeron

Those are the 6 that I can say definitively are better.

You could make strong arguments for...

Seguin
Matthews
Eichel
Barkov
Mackinnon
Stamkos

With that being said, I have trouble with valuing Tavares because I think he dragged a lot of players in NY up, and I am really curious to see how he does facing 2nd pairings and being on a more skilled and better overall team.

If I had a gun to my head, I would say he's the 10th best C as of right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I agree scheifele is on the border there, id take JT. Also agreed MacKinnon needs to repeat.

But personally I’d definitely take Seguin/Stamkos over JT if starting a team.
I’ve always voted that way over the past decade of JT-Stamkos polls
I don't see a single argument for Seguin really, besides age, but even then the age difference between the two is only 1.5 yrs. Tavares has produced similar or better numbers while having generally worse linemates, and is also far better defensively.

Stamkos has more of an argument, but I think post-leg break Stamkos is not as good, and definitely not as well-rounded of a player as JT. Even this year, playing mostly with Kucherov (who has shown he can produce without Stamkos) ,and being surrounded by much better talent overall, Stamkos finished with 2 more pts than Tavares.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The group of centers that I think are definitely better would be McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and Bergeron. I might add Barkov and Kopitar there too. Tavares is in a big heap of #1Cs that are all fairly similar after that, where arguments could be made for either side. I have to say, some of the names mentioned here are guys I'd struggle to see how they could be considered definitely better.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The group of centers that I think are definitely better would be McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and Bergeron. I might add Barkov and Kopitar there too. Tavares are in a big heap of #1Cs that are all fairly similar after that, where arguments could be made for either side. I have to say, some of the names mentioned here are guys I'd struggle to see how they could be considered definitely better.
I think that’s fair. There are a group who will change positions based on how they have performed recently. I’d have him ranked around 10 but I can’t say that there are 9 others definitely better. Maybe 6 I would say then JT is somewhere in the next group of 5 or 6.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
The group of centers that I think are definitely better would be McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, and Bergeron. I might add Barkov and Kopitar there too. Tavares are in a big heap of #1Cs that are all fairly similar after that, where arguments could be made for either side. I have to say, some of the names mentioned here are guys I'd struggle to see how they could be considered definitely better.
Seguin is really the biggest head scratcher I must say.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Barkov and Kopitar have a case if you take into account their last year performance. I don't feel the body of work extends beyond that. Not saying that they won't continue to play that well though.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Would you prefer the more recent poll that said people here thought the Leafs were never going to make the playoffs in Babcock's 8 year tenure? How about the one for them missing the playoffs last year because they "never got hurt the first year they made the playoffs". How about the poll discussing Eichel vs Matthews until it was made obvious that Matthews is better? Should I keep going?

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Would you prefer the more recent poll that said people here thought the Leafs were never going to make the playoffs in Babcock's 8 year tenure? How about the one for them missing the playoffs last year because they "never got hurt the first year they made the playoffs". How about the poll discussing Eichel vs Matthews until it was made obvious that Matthews is better? Should I keep going?
I could care less about those polls since they seem to be clearly made to piss off leaf fans and not to be taken seriously, except for possibly the Eichel vs Matthews one. Its just that some people can't take any criticism of their favorite player without feeling like its an insult.

Brownies

I don't think there are 10 center definitely better than Tavares but yeah, some names can be argued from years to years. As stated above, a guy like Mackinnon would need to repeat to be put above without hesitation. Personally, I take Tavares before Stamkos, but who am I. I don't know if I'd rank a guy like Getzlaf above Tavares, but it's definitely arguable.. etc.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

Matthews and Eichel are pretty comparable players in a sense of production.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
5 guys obviously better

McDavid
Crosby
Bergeron
Kopitar
Malkin

5 Guys Id' take before JT today

Scheifele
Matthews
Barkov
Mckinnon
Kuznetsov

5 Guys I expect to be better over the next 5 years and would choose over JT

Eichel
Point
Trocheck
Barzel
Hischier and/or Dubois

Guys in the same class as JT include Stamkos and Giroux. Elite 1st line centers but no longer top 10 in the league.

I am sure I have missed a few obvious ones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad