Speculation: Can we strike it rich again with the NCAA and get top Dman Christian Folin?

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I want him for tampa desperately lol and have watched followed since vancouver almost signed him last year.

I love this kid so if detroit got him that is also cool think he is a little behind what dekeyser was but the kid can play is solid run the power play in future etc.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Probably better than Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Lashoff. Doesn't seem like much competition to me.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I would plug him in over Lashoff, he is terrible.
Lashoff is probably a better NHLer right now than Folin, tbh. We're talking about a guy who needs some AHL time still.

Anyway, we shouldn't get our hopes up. There hasn't been even the slightest peep that Folin is interested in coming to Detroit. On the prospects board they're claiming he's got his eye on Philly, which makes sense considering their defense is a dumpster fire right now.

Detroit Sports*

Lashoff is probably a better NHLer right now than Folin, tbh. We're talking about a guy who needs some AHL time still.

Anyway, we shouldn't get our hopes up. There hasn't been even the slightest peep that Folin is interested in coming to Detroit. On the prospects board they're claiming he's got his eye on Philly, which makes sense considering their defense is a dumpster fire right now.

I know. I am hoping the Swedish connection makes him want to come here.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
From what I've read on him it seems as though he will be a bottom 4 stay at home defenseman, anyone seen him live?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think he wants to be higher up the food chain than he'd be in Detroit. Marchenko and Sproul would probably be in his way, and he's not NHL-ready yet.

XO, Backman, Jensen...

Yeah, the question isn't whether Folin would be better than Lashoff or Kindl, or Quincey who shouldn't be here next year...it's where does he slot in among the guys we're looking to promote in the next couple of years. If we want to leave a spot open for a promotion next year, while also signing a guy who is clearly an upgrade to the top4 (which Folin isn't, if we're being honest), do we just give that spot to Folin or do make him fight for it with our other prospects? And is he interested in fighting for a roster spot?

If we didn't have so many young D on the cusp of promotion, or maybe if we didn't have Smith or Kindl, I'd be more up for this. Or if he's openly willing to go to GR for a year to sort things out.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
cant see an over-ager(sp), undrafted NCAA route kid wanting to sign with detroit IF he feels or is being told he is almost NHL ready

our defence prospect cupboard looks as deep and as talented as our forward prospect pool did this time last year suggessting they too will make as much of an impact in the coming months/years as the nyquists, tatars, jurcos and sheahans have(let alone mantha who i think is and will be the best of the bunch)

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
cant see an over-ager(sp), undrafted NCAA route kid wanting to sign with detroit IF he feels or is being told he is almost NHL ready

My guess is that DeKeyser was given a promise to get regular ice-time if he signed with Detroit. If Folin is good enough, he will probably get the same promise, which is a kind of promise the organization previously have kept. If he is top6, some kind of injury to one of the lesser d-men would work it out. Holland is a log jam artist.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
No room for him - no way to make PT promise either in GR let alone in Detroit given the defencemen depth in the org.

I'd focus on that Russian forward that grew up in Datsyuk's home town.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
No room for him - no way to make PT promise either in GR let alone in Detroit given the defencemen depth in the org.

I'd focus on that Russian forward that grew up in Datsyuk's home town.

Which Russian is that?

IMO we're pretty stacked at forward too -- almost reaching a point where you have to consolidate two or more players in return for a single elite one.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I would plug him in over Lashoff, he is terrible.

You're probably going to be very disappointed if they sign him then. He's no better than Lashoff as it currently stands. He's going to need some time. Dekeyser types don't appear every year.

Folin moves the puck really well but unlike Dekeyser and even Western's Morrison, I'm not sure he'll be able to adjust to the NHL speed so smoothly. It's not easy. He's a player though. Just going to need some adjustment time and the Wings can't afford to play games with just shoving him into the lineup.

For those who use Sproul and Marchenko as reasons why Folin won't sign, I wouldn't use that as gospel. If he's good enough, just like Dekeyser, he'd pass them on the depth chart. I still think he's going to sign in Detroit or NYR because of the style they play and what they look for from their guys. He was a lock for the Canucks last year but that ship has probably sailed with their style change. He'd be making a huge mistake signing with Philly too

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
This guy aint Folin' around that for sure!

But there is guys in GR that probably want to have a shot at it before him...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad