Can we stop blaming the refs?

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
Are they perfect? No. I've been on these boards for a few years (mostly a lurker now) but I have never seen so much complaining about the refs the entire time I have been on here, has it always been like this during playoff time or am I just remembering it wrong? It's just kind of getting silly at this point when every thread I read has people complaining about the reffing and missed calls.

PS: Had four grandmal seizures about a month ago so my memory hasnt exactly caught up with me all the way yet.

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
No, we can't.

Trust me, I get how complaining and criticizing calls and what not can and deserves to happen sometimes, and as a huge fan of WWE and NHL and knowing wayyyyyy too much about the WWE I just think we as Hockey fans should all be thankful for the playoffs every year. Because trust me, knowing things about wrestling like I do and what they won't change and how they could make so much more money than they are already is extremely frustrating from a fan point of view, however it rarely helps to complain about it.

And before it is said, yes I am aware that WWE is predetermined and not actually a sport.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Personally, I never started. Sometimes (but not that often at the NHL level in my opinion), the officiating is bad, but I don't believe in deliberate bias or attempts to fix games, so if the officials are out to lunch for whatever reason, then both teams have to deal with it. It's a form of adversity in a sense, and good teams can overcome adversity to win anyway. If a game was so evenly matched to where a refereeing decision late in the game ends up being the difference maker, then you really weren't that much better than your opponent either way. A random deflection or bounce off the boards could have been the difference maker instead. :dunno:

SSJ3 Lunar

WWE made me jaded
Nov 2, 2010
Atlanta
Right now as a neutral, no, please don't. The hilarity is priceless.

:laugh:

I don't know, maybe my seizures made me unable to find humor in it. Or maybe I get too much complaining from WWE fans, since its basically all we do. I watch hockey to get away from all that. :laugh:

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
I think a big reason why there is more complaining this year is due to the challenge mostly. The refs go back and look at questionable plays regarding a goal and still seem to get it wrong from a fans point of view. A lot of this is because the length of the challenges have been under scrutiny all year so i feel the refs have been a bit quicker making decisions and due to the size of the screen they are using have seemed to miss details to a play that fans can see with our large screens and such. (opinion from the oilers series at least)

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Agree, things even out throughout the season and playoffs.. refs arnt immune to human error but it should be seen as part of the game.

It is just adversity at the end if they day 1 play doesnt dictate the other 59 mins of the game

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
Are they perfect? No. I've been on these boards for a few years (mostly a lurker now) but I have never seen so much complaining about the refs the entire time I have been on here, has it always been like this during playoff time or am I just remembering it wrong? It's just kind of getting silly at this point when every thread I read has people complaining about the reffing and missed calls.

PS: Had four grandmal seizures about a month ago so my memory hasnt exactly caught up with me all the way yet.

Not gonna happen. In one series we've heard that the refs are biased against Canadian teams, in another we've conversely heard that they're biased in favor of Canadian teams.

As long as games continue to finish with inequal power play opportunities, the whining conspiracy talk won't end.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Agree, things even out throughout the season and playoffs.. refs arnt immune to human error but it should be seen as part of the game.

It is just adversity at the end if they day 1 play doesnt dictate the other 59 mins of the game

Human error is fine. What makes it inexcusable is when they have the ability to review a play in slow mo with close ups and still get it wrong. Thats no longer human error thats either a bias or incompetance.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
CAN we? Sure, we could.

Not gonna happen though. People like having a scapegoat.

That said, I do think refs should be subject to reviews that are made public, like how players get thrown under the bus by the league when they get punished.

Refs should be held to an even higher standard, since one ref doing a bad job can ruin a game in a way that one player really can't. If a ref ****s up and the league punishes them for it, it should be announced, just like with players.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Human error is fine. What makes it inexcusable is when they have the ability to review a play in slow mo with close ups and still get it wrong. Thats no longer human error thats either a bias or incompetance.

Cept there is too much interputation in a lot of the rules that can get reviewed they need to make it black and white and cut out all the grey area

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
Watch the Ducks and Oilers series and you wouldn't have seen some stuff that makes you want to rip your hair out, fun fact, I have.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
My team is out of the playoffs but I think the Oilers sure have reasons to be pissed.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
Game management, personal vendettas, reffing to the score, a penalty in the first period is not one in the third....the list can go on. Not complaining about the refs makes the league think everything is ok.

The next step is not watching the games. The league already went down that road during the DPE. HIstory repeats itself, both in the DPE, and the stupidity of the NHL brass.

Bumpus

Shhh ...
Mar 4, 2008
WV
Personally, I never started. Sometimes (but not that often at the NHL level in my opinion), the officiating is bad, but I don't believe in deliberate bias or attempts to fix games, so if the officials are out to lunch for whatever reason, then both teams have to deal with it. It's a form of adversity in a sense, and good teams can overcome adversity to win anyway. If a game was so evenly matched to where a refereeing decision late in the game ends up being the difference maker, then you really weren't that much better than your opponent either way. A random deflection or bounce off the boards could have been the difference maker instead. :dunno:

Posts like this are why I wish we had a "like" button here. :handclap:

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
That last Caps/Pens game was a ****ing ref gongshow. No point in blaming them, but that was horrible.

This Ducks Oilers series has been so bad for both teams.

Refs don't even know how to interpret the rules anymore.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
I do not care how refs call each game separately, but you damn well better be consistent throughout each game. You cannot have a guy get tripped in the 1st let go and then call it against that team in the 3rd. Too many times in this years playoffs in multiple different series you have calls going all over the place, if it is not a penalty in one period it cannot be a call in another. Refs cannot be perfect, I get that. They should be able to be pretty consistent though and they have not been. Just be consistent

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Remove the coaches challenge and they'd get blamed less, at least. Nothing wrong with missing the occasional offside call in real time.

But no, I'm not going to stop blaming people who occasionally spend 10 minutes looking at a replay and then still get the call wrong.

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
How much complaining we will see about the refs in the next round will largely depend on who wins game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad