Proposal: Can we please be patient with our players? Sophomore Slump

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophomore_slump

We are loaded with second year pros all or many 23 years of age or under who are struggling in their second season in the NHL

Robin Lehner - last season was his first real taste at nhl competition

Jared Cowen - he technically never had a second season

Eric Gryba - Last season was his first

Patrick Wiercioch - Last season was his first

Mika Zibanejad - Kid has been more inconsistent but boy you can tell he is going to be a star

All

If we were to let any of these players go or be dropped we would be regretting it for each scenario, just be patient folks, we are going to be a real powerhouse the serious problems include, Budget, Chris Phillips ice time, and Paul Maclean trying to play a physical brand of hockey with our player set.

Berserker*

So based on your argument, we should maybe give 5 players on this team a pass for going through a "sophomore slump"

But what about the rest of the team? What is their excuse?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
So based on your argument, we should maybe give 5 players on this team a pass for going through a "sophomore slump"

But what about the rest of the team? What is their excuse?

they suck, especially phillips, but this is just for the people ******** on these specific players, if we ever let any of them go, it will bite us.

BigBush*

Still like this team and think they'll rebound strongly next year. Definetly a great learning experience for the young guys on how hard you have to work to compete in the NHL

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
No! They must all be traded for younger players, who will get some slack during their rookie seasons, only to be declared old and washed up in their sophomore season.

Rinse
Repeat
????
Stanley cup

Cheapseats

Cigars N F-Bombs
Mar 2, 2004
No one gets a pass after the lack of effort out there. I could understand if they were giving it their all and playing hard hockey for 60 min but its a country club.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Wiercoch has barely played, Gryba has actually been decent. Only Cowen really struggled and now Lehner. Zibanejad has been meh. So yeah thts 3 players in a sophomore slump. How bout the rest of the team, Andy was bad till about december, Spezza has been bad till about February. Michalek useless, Phillips sucks, Ryan invisible since december. Karlsson struggled in hte ifrst half. Greening and Neil have been terrible. Its actually not just the young guys that has struggled. More vets have struggled

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I don't think it's a sophomore slump.

I think we just need 1 legit top 4 Dman and we'll be a competitive team.

trobby

Aug 23, 2007
Ottawa
Honestly, I'm watching tonight, and I'm excited for next year.

5. Our D is super young. We would be a lot stronger in our own end if we picked up a reliable Top-4 defenseman.

4. I'm liking our young forwards. Especially Zibanejad's progression. I can see him being a 25, maybe 30 goal guy with Top PP minutes. Love his and Hoffman's compete level.

3. Our goalies have been MEH all year. I can't recall too many times where our goalies stole a game for us. Maybe 1 or 2..

2. STAY OUT OF......(continued).

1. THE PENALTY BOX.

Our biggest problem is disciple. Or lack thereof.
I know our goalies can/will be better, and our defensemen will get better with age and experience. We'll be back next year boys and girls.

melnyk budget*

Agreed. Patience is key. This season has been a disaster but we have to experience growing pains.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The problem isn't our young players...

Zibanejad has been good secondary scorer this year. Gryba has been solid in 2nd half of the season, Wiercioch barely been played. Cowen and Lehner are the guys this thread applies to.

With that being said, it's our veterans that have been playing like horse **** which is more concerning cause we don't got patience for em.

Phillips, Michalek, Greening, Neil, Condra.

These guys have been extremely below average. Then there was poor first half by Spezza and poor 2nd half by Ryan.

Poor play from sophomores + terrible play from veterans + shaky goaltending + no defense = I'm surprised we not last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad