Pre-Game Talk: Can we play a hockey game yet? Edm v Car finally tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The funniest thing about this 5 day break was you’d think that the schedule would pick up afterwards.

Nope.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The funniest thing about this 5 day break was you’d think that the schedule would pick up afterwards.

Nope.

It’s not bad. We play every other day for 6 games at home then a 3 games in 4 nights roadie in NY before Christmas where it’s 5 days off then back on the road for another 3 in 4 in Cali before the New Year.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Nope.
Look at April. 3 sets of 3 games in 4 nights, with 6 games in the last 9 nights.

I don't know how effective this will be, but I don't mind the structure

I guess they weren't smart enough to imagine lines. I mean not a bad idea at all some guys do need to actually see something to understand it

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Look at April. 3 sets of 3 games in 4 nights, with 6 games in the last 9 nights.

I guess they weren't smart enough to imagine lines. I mean not a bad idea at all some guys do need to actually see something to understand it
I guess Joe, what it does is keeps guys from just getting puck focused, which is probably good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I guess Joe, what it does is keeps guys from just getting puck focused, which is probably good.
Even if these guys don't 100% figure it out, just as long as they are improving is going to have an impact.

We were talking at work the other day and even guys that actually know their role ended up getting burned. Not because they went out of position first, but because 1 or 2 guys are always so out of position that now it was forcing others to help which just causes more chaos.

I do think guys speaking more even if it's a simply thing like Hyman yelling "Nuge" and it just triggering Nuge that he's wandering too far or something would drastically help.

Just like goaltending I don't expect our team defense all of a sudden to be top in the league. However, if we can get average at these things that we struggle with then we will have a good chance at being a good team based on how good our strengths are.

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
This is an excellent drill. I’ve been saying, if you play the zone you have to keep that box. Love it. Protect the middle.
I have been asking why they didn't do a drill like this forever for the D zone lol. This coach is way better then limp croft

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
its a small area game drill, purpose is to limit players optionality and plays a mini game within a game. literally any coach from peewee to jr is running these drills pretty consistently
That's fine, I just thought it was good. Even if they do it a younger ages, when they get this far, it's good to remind them of tactics like this, imo.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
It’s not bad. We play every other day for 6 games at home then a 3 games in 4 nights roadie in NY before Christmas where it’s 5 days off then back on the road for another 3 in 4 in Cali before the New Year.
Everyone can fly to California for the road trip between Christmas and New Year's!

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
its a small area game drill, purpose is to limit players optionality and plays a mini game within a game. literally any coach from peewee to jr is running these drills pretty consistently
The problem is our Pro players seem to forget how to play simple defense that they were taught in peewee to jr.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

We used to do this all the time. That it’s being done at the NHL level with these players confirms to me that the structural IQ with these players collectively is very low. They are an offense first bunch who think the game more abstractly.

At least KK recognizes the issue and develops practices around building structure than standing around a whiteboard blathering on to the sound of his own voice for 20 minutes at a time and then going to work on the long chip n chase breakout like his predecessor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad