Can We Now Call Yakupov the Worst Forward Ever Drafted First Overall?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Interesting that Stefan and Yak (as of today) both have the exact same points-per-game percentage of 0.41. I thought Stefan would for sure be higher, even if not by a ton. After all, Stefan played at a time where they was more offense, I believe (someone correct that if it's wrong).

Taking Stefan first overall is as sure a thing as a goal on an empty net breakaway...:laugh:

Prior to the 2004 lockout (ie Stefan's first few NHL seasons), the scoring rate was about the same as it has been lately.

Stefan was a much more competent two-way player than Yakupov.

If it hadn't been for all the injuries, he could have been a very capable and serviceable third liner.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
That's a fair point, but remember there was a big "fail for Nail" campaign that year. That's maybe an unfair comparison because of the difference in (social) media compared to Daigle's era, but even though Yak was the lesser regarded prospect he probably had more actual hype coming into the league.

Daigle was a super hyped prospect, as he was supposed to be a generational talent.

He probably contributed more than Yakupov in his NHL career, but he is clearly a bigger bust than Yakupov.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
He has the hockey skill but doesn't have hockey IQ. He doesn't know where to go on the ice. He has no clue on how to play an nhl systems. Also It didn't helped when Oilers rushed him in the nhl.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
I heard that most of the scouting staffs didn't even have Yakapov as there 1st pick. Kevin Lowe didn't even listened to his scouting staffs and just made his own decision.

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
Yeah sure why not. He's so bad he makes teams worse when he plays.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No question Yak is one of the biggest 1OA busts of all time, if not the biggest.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
In the Entry Draft era, there's a pretty clear-cut group of #1 forwards who busted hard:

2012 - Nail Yakupov - 292gp, 120 points
1999 - Patrik Stefan - 455gp, 188 points
1993 - Alexandre Daigle - 616gp, 327 points
1983 - Brian Lawton - 483gp, 266 points
1980 - Doug Wickenheiser - 556gp, 276 points

Unless Yak turns it around pretty fast, he's on track to have easily the least relevant career out of this group. Daigle and Wickenheiser seem successful by comparison.
Although, one player has played significantly less than the rest.

He's only 23. He'll never live up to the hype, but he's not ready to hang em up yet

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Claude Gauthier- Detroit Red Wings – 1964

0 NHL games played.

Andre Veilleux- New York Rangers – 1965

0 NHL games played.

Rick Pagnutti- Los Angeles Kings – 1967

0 NHL games played

http://thehockeywriters.com/the-worst-nhl-draft-picks/

3 #1 overall players within 4 years played a total of 0 games! And they would have been born just after WW2, you know when we actually had a boom in babies. Were scouts throwing darts at a random list? Were there any scouts at the time?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I find his situation fascinating because he actually started out looking like a good forward who may progress into elite offensive territory in his first season. It was still debatable he might not have all the tools for it but it was certainly looking that way.

Then he declined with every season going forward it seems.

Season 1 was a lockout season I believe?:

2012-13 Nizhnekamsk Neftekhimik KHL 22gp 10g 8a 18pts 33PIM -4
2012-13 Edmonton Oilers NHL 48gp 17g 14a 31pts 24PIM -4

Pace of close to 30g, 25as in his first season, on an abysmal team. Even had almost PPG in KHL. Was only -4 on a truly awful team so, no alarm bells just yet.

Then:

2013-14 Edmonton Oilers NHL 63gp 11g 13a 24pts 36PIM -33

Horrible team, big time minus, very low points, bad coach and sophomore season, no serious alarm bells yet but definitely unexpected.

2014-15 Edmonton Oilers NHL 81gp 14g 19a 33pts 18PIM -35

Alarm bells, same situation but no reasonable improvement, only 3 more goals and 6 more assists in nearly 20 more gp. Again, a huge minus and I didn't check but I'd be willing to bet even comparatively with teammates on a bad team, he was a massive minus.

2015-16 Edmonton Oilers NHL 60gp 8g 15a 23pts 24PIM -16

Essentially 3rd straight season of same performance, which is bad performance, aside from being a less bad minus, but even then the team likely did improve a bit and coaching changed iirc. Massive alarm bells at this point.

2016-17 St. Louis Blues NHL 40gp 3g 6a 9pts 14PIM -3

New team that albeit had no faith in him, producing at less than 0.25ppg for a guy expected to be a skill player, truly unacceptable performance.

All this to say, I do think given the serious production loss after season 1, Edmonton played their part in ruining his career. At the end of the day though, he's also had a chance to bounce back elsewhere and honestly it is up to the player to face adversity head on and improve anyway they can. He has the natural raw talent, but his style of play isn't great for NA hockey so he either needed to become a top 10 offensive winger or learn to play better defensively. I believe this focus is what caused his downfall.

More than likely, coaches and management told him to smarten up on his two-way play but he simply doesn't have the tools to manage being good offensively as well as defensively. If he finds a team that nurtures his offense and can recover from his defensive lapses, I think he can improve greatly still. Imagine him getting the opportunity to play with Geno, if he signs for 1yr 800k it could work and revitalize his career.

All this being said, I believe the org and him are both to blame, and I think his lack of offense while trying to play better all around got in his head, a lot of it is probably psychological.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Oiler fans are going to hate me for saying this, but RNH isn't too far ahead of Yak, particularly given what he's being paid.....maybe the answer to another triva question: Who were the two worst first overall picks in consecutive years?

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
He has the hockey skill but doesn't have hockey IQ. He doesn't know where to go on the ice. He has no clue on how to play an nhl systems. Also It didn't helped when Oilers rushed him in the nhl.

How did they rush him? First overall forwards make it to the NHL right away. That's just how it is.

Jul 6, 2016
How did they rush him? First overall forwards make it to the NHL right away. That's just how it is.

How many other players of that draft played right away ?

It was a weak draft. Maybe Forsberg would had played, but otherwise no other was ready to play, Yak included.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
When a rookie is on pace for 29 goals there is clearly talent there. There is little doubt that the Oilers did, at best, a horrible job of handling his development. When a player regresses to the degree he has it comes across as someone who has had their self belief completely undermined and has fallen out of love with the game.

I'm actually rooting for him. There must still be something burning inside him not to have taken the easy way out and headed back to the KHL. I think if a coach shows some faith in him and makes him feel loved/wanted he may yet surprise us. He deserves a break or two and I hope he get just that.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
I remember watching Brian Lawton in the 80's , he was really bad.
Lawton was so bad back then that he went through waivers a few times.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Tough to say.

Crappy team drafts high again, rushes prospect that should have spent more time developing, people now call said prospect a terrible player without looking at all factors involved.

If someone is found dead of either murder or natural causes, does either circumstance change the fact that they are dead?

Yakupov is a terrible player regardless of the factors involved.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I remember watching Brian Lawton in the 80's , he was really bad.
Lawton was so bad back then that he went through waivers a few times.

Did Lawton play in the top six often or was he usually a depth guy?

Based on his numbers (including plus/minus), it seems like he was similar offensively but not nearly as terrible defensively while with MIN.

Then he went to SJ and basically became what Yakupov's been for years: A guy being given offensive opportunities and not being able to produce adequately for a player in that role or to help his team defensively.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Did Lawton play in the top six often or was he usually a depth guy?

Based on his numbers (including plus/minus), it seems like he was similar offensively but not as terrible defensively while with MIN.

Then he went to SJ and basically became what Yakupov's been years: A guy playing being given offensive opportunities and not being able to produce adequately for a player in that role or to help his team defensively.

yes he did , he was given all the top 6 minutes that the coach could, to make him succeed... God back with the Nordiques, he even played with Joe Sakic

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Lol @ the title

Yakupov is definitely the worst #1 pick ever. Stefan had a few decent seasons and so did Daigle. Yak has been putrid since his impressive rookie year.

The guy has absolutely ZERO hockey IQ. He has a good shot but can never get into a good position. He's fast but doesn't know where to go. He works hard on the ice but doesn't work smart.

I thought he had a chance at redemption in the 15/16 season when he started off at a PPG pace the first 13 games but McDavid's injury ended that. I never understood why McLellan never put Yak with McDavid again once he came back. I thought Yak had a good spot with McDavid because McDavid could actually help Yak utilize his skillset.

I think it was because Yakupov burned his bridge in Edmonton by privately asking for a trade. Playing with Mcdavid is a privilege that Edmonton management didn't think he was worthy of anymore. Would an extra 20 games with Mcdavid to finish the season bump up his trade value? Probably not.

If Yakupov was smart he would have kept his mouth shut and worked his way into the top 9. He could have of had Mcdavid, Draisaitl or RNH as his center for years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad