Can we actually advance to the post-season?

beaterson

Jun 13, 2011
the 780
just a quick reminder that we play Anaheim, LA, and San Jose (neither of whom even made the playoffs) 5 times, and Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, and Minnesota 4 times.

Aug 10, 2015
just a quick reminder that we play Anaheim, LA, and San Jose (neither of whom even made the playoffs) 5 times, and Chicago, St. Louis, Nashville, and Minnesota 4 times.

Not sure I understand your point, but to correct your numbers, it's only 4 against San Jose, and 3 against Chicago, St Louis, Nashville and Minnesota.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
I think it's safe to assume 5 teams will make it from the Central, which means 3 teams make it from the Pacific. It's also fairly safe to assume LA and ANA take 2 of those three spots from the Pacific. That leaves one spot available for EDM, CGY, VAN, or SJ (ARI is not in the mix, we all know that). This is important to note because it means all the prognosticating you hear on TV about Dallas or Colorado being improved teams means absolutely nothing regarding the Oilers chances. Five teams make it from the Central, that's it. If Dallas makes it this year, it will come at the expense of another Central team that made it last year, such as Winnipeg. Dallas improving has no impact whatsoever on the Oilers' playoff chances.

Is it likely the Oilers finish ahead of all three Pacific teams? Not really, but is it possible? Absolutely. SJ and VAN are both teams trending downwards. Yes, I and many others have been saying that for years, but it will happen eventually. And as for Calgary, a helluva lot went right for them last, many players having career years or younger players playing much better than expected. I think it's very possible they take a step backwards next year even though they're probably are better on paper now after adding Hamilton.

So would I bet on the Oilers? No. But they have a chance, not a great one (VAN seems to beat the odds every year and could easily do it again), but a definitely decent chance exists.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Last season the Oilers went winless against Nashvillle, St Louis, Winnipeg, Calgary, Vancouver and Arizona. That's 24 games of the season right there. If they can go .500 against those same teams that an increase of 24 points plus a loss of 3-5 points for each of those teams in the standings.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think it's safe to assume 5 teams will make it from the Central, which means 3 teams make it from the Pacific. It's also fairly safe to assume LA and ANA take 2 of those three spots from the Pacific. That leaves one spot available for EDM, CGY, VAN, or SJ (ARI is not in the mix, we all know that). This is important to note because it means all the prognosticating you hear on TV about Dallas or Colorado being improved teams means absolutely nothing regarding the Oilers chances. Five teams make it from the Central, that's it. If Dallas makes it this year, it will come at the expense of another Central team that made it last year, such as Winnipeg. Dallas improving has no impact whatsoever on the Oilers' playoff chances.

Is it likely the Oilers finish ahead of all three Pacific teams? Not really, but is it possible? Absolutely. SJ and VAN are both teams trending downwards. Yes, I and many others have been saying that for years, but it will happen eventually. And as for Calgary, a helluva lot went right for them last, many players having career years or younger players playing much better than expected. I think it's very possible they take a step backwards next year even though they're probably are better on paper now after adding Hamilton.

So would I bet on the Oilers? No. But they have a chance, not a great one (VAN seems to beat the odds every year and could easily do it again), but a definitely decent chance exists.

Perfect summary. Finishing 3rd in our division is the only way we make the playoffs. Being better than Calgary and San Jose (I won't include Vancouver because I think they take a considerable step back) isn't the monstrous uphill climb some make it out to be, but we'll need some things to go right.

- stay healthy.
- be top 5 on the PP and at least be middle of the pack on the PK.
- have the young guys all take a step forward.
- have the off-season game changers (Talbot, Sekera, McDavid, McLellan) all be who we think they can be.

It's not crazy to suggest it, but I'd consider all 3 teams (us, CAL, SJ) pretty equal. I think it shakes down like this:

Us vs Calgary - They have a decided advantage on defence, no one can deny that. Goaltending I think is quite even, I personally like Talbot better, he may be a bit of an unknown, but in Hiller it's the known that is scary - he's had major collapses numerous times in his career. Forwards we have the edge by a fair margin. Coaching is no longer the huge gap it was last year.

Us vs San Jose - They have an advantage on defence, though I don't see it being as wide a margin as Calgary. Forwards are pretty equal, I like our group better overall, but they have a much greater veteran presence among their forwards that evens things out a bit. I like our goaltending better. I like our coaching better.

It's going to come down to the healthiest of these 3 teams, as well as the record heads up, but I think it should be 33.3/33.3/33.3 chances between the 3 teams of making it. When is the last time we could honestly say our team has that kind of chance heading into the season?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Anything is possible, but I wouldn't bet more than 5 bucks on it. We would need to be extremely lucky with good teams in the west failing miserably and our goaltending and/or shooting % would have to stay in the unsustainable zone all year like colorado and the flames (and leafs before that) got for their playoff spot.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Perfect summary. Finishing 3rd in our division is the only way we make the playoffs. Being better than Calgary and San Jose (I won't include Vancouver because I think they take a considerable step back) isn't the monstrous uphill climb some make it out to be, but we'll need some things to go right.

- stay healthy.
- be top 5 on the PP and at least be middle of the pack on the PK.
- have the young guys all take a step forward.
- have the off-season game changers (Talbot, Sekera, McDavid, McLellan) all be who we think they can be.

It's not crazy to suggest it, but I'd consider all 3 teams (us, CAL, SJ) pretty equal. I think it shakes down like this:

Us vs Calgary - They have a decided advantage on defence, no one can deny that. Goaltending I think is quite even, I personally like Talbot better, he may be a bit of an unknown, but in Hiller it's the known that is scary - he's had major collapses numerous times in his career. Forwards we have the edge by a fair margin. Coaching is no longer the huge gap it was last year.

Us vs San Jose - They have an advantage on defence, though I don't see it being as wide a margin as Calgary. Forwards are pretty equal, I like our group better overall, but they have a much greater veteran presence among their forwards that evens things out a bit. I like our goaltending better. I like our coaching better.

It's going to come down to the healthiest of these 3 teams, as well as the record heads up, but I think it should be 33.3/33.3/33.3 chances between the 3 teams of making it. When is the last time we could honestly say our team has that kind of chance heading into the season?

Thanks. I will make one prediction about the goaltending though. If Talbot plays the bulk of the minutes in net and plays like he did for the Rangers, the Oilers are in. Yes, I am going there. Superb goaltending can cover up a lot of weak spots, as we've seen time and time again in the NHL.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
If everything went perfect goaltending no injuries mcdavid out of this world and a solid trade at the deadline for a top 2 d then Ya but not likely this year

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Thanks. I will make one prediction about the goaltending though. If Talbot plays the bulk of the minutes in net and plays like he did for the Rangers, the Oilers are in. Yes, I am going there. Superb goaltending can cover up a lot of weak spots, as we've seen time and time again in the NHL.

Agreed. As good as his numbers were last year, one of his most impressive games I saw from him was a 6-5 win against the Isles (it was arguably the best game in the NHL all of last year, many referenced it as such on the main boards). It was such a run and gun game, very reminiscent of 80's Oilers, chances were traded back and forth, both teams must have had 15 prime scoring chances at least. What impressed me is that Talbot stayed focused throughout it all, was never phased at any moment, had to stop numerous breakaways and cross crease one-timers. It was just a game where he gave his team every chance to win despite fire wagon hockey.

This is a goalie who won't be deflated by a bad goal or unlucky bounce. If things go sideways and we're down 3-0 10 minutes in, he'll spend the next 50 minutes trying to win 4-3.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I put a lot on organizational will. If useless vets are still in the organization an in the lineup, then no.

If they ice the best lineup, if replacements have great years, if Chia can work some magic, and if Talbot plays like an allstar... maybe

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
I don't think making the playoffs is as huge a stretch as others make it out. Can we play better and have better records than Arizona? Calgary? Vancouver? How about Colorado, Dallas, and Winnipeg? I personally think the Oilers can be better than any of those teams.

We need a team that competes on most nights, and one that wins a couple more games a month than last season. Our forward lines are solid. Our goaltending looks competent. Our defense looks a lot better. It's just been a while since we've been in the equation and our fans are gun shy. Making the playoffs is something that half the teams in the league do. I think the players need to expect it of themselves. It's time.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
I am a Flames fan first but also cheer for the oilers too.

I can not see them making the playoffs, is it possible? Sure but not realistic.
I look at calgary, alot of things had to go their way last year for them to make the playoffs, but work ethic was not one of them. Work ethic plays a huge part same as team chemistry. Coaching and GM's too.

Edmonton has so many changes this year its gonna take time for the people to gel.
It would be pretty amazing to go from a team getting booed off the ice in their own rink to a playoff team. Its alot to ask for.

Edmonton is moving in the right direction now, but they are still a couple of years out. Once back in the playoff picture though I could see them staying there for a long long time.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I hope they finish 41w 31L 10 OTL for 92 points. Missing playoffs but a big step forward. Dropping some dead weight next summer and adding a top 4 D and a top 6 winger and hope to have with out question our starting goal tender heading into the new building and play offs next season

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I think September is too early to be thinking about playoffs, though I hope every player trying to make the team believes the Oilers can make the playoffs, or else send them down to the AHL and hope they believe they can help the Condors make the playoffs (or else send them down to the ECHL :D ).

I'd rather look at the season like Bob Hartley did last year (I know, I hate to use the Flames for anything, but they did manage to pull off one of the best single season turnarounds in recent memory).

He broke the season down into 7 game segments and pushed the Flames to win each of those 7 game series. I like the logic, in that you don't start the season thinking you have to get 100 points or close to it, but rather that you have to win 4 out of the next 7 games. Once those 7 games are done you move on to the next 7 games and continue. I like it, especially for a team with fragile confidence like I expect the Oilers to have to start the season.

So I think the better question is can the Oilers win their first seven game series of the regular season:

Oct 08 @ St Louis
Oct 10 @ Nashville
Oct 13 @ Dallas
Oct 15 St Louis
Oct 17 @ Calgary
Oct 18 @ Vancouver
Oct 21 Detroit

In my mind, there is no reason we shouldn't be able to win at least 4 of those games (don't ask me which 4 though as that's more difficult to predict), and if we can, then we will be off to a good start for the season. If we don't, it's not like the season is over, but with each 7 game 'series' lost, the idea of meaningful games in March/April because much less likely.

It's a very cool approach, however, to be honest, I'd be shocked if they won 4 of those games. Pleasantly shocked, but still shocked. If they are going to prove anything this year, winning the back-to-back away games against Calgary and Vancouver are an absolute MUST. I know it sounds ridiculous to put the benchmark so early in the season, but you lose both of those and things will swing south pretty damn fast.

I bleed Oiler blue

Dec 29, 2005
Some fresh faces, a new coach, <mod edit> are a damn good start.......

I normally don't post, I just like to read and see everyones point of view, but I really struggle with a comment like this. It takes a way from an entire message and point of view you re trying to make just to be ignorant and rude to MacT. I am the first to not like what he has done with this team overall, and love the fact that he and Kevin Lowe are not running this team anymore, but just because you can hide behind your keyboard doesnt give you the right to make such a sh****** comment.

If you wouldnt say it to his face, I dont think it is appropriate to say it here. And if you would say it to his face your a jerk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 15, 2008
I normally don't post, I just like to read and see everyones point of view, but I really struggle with a comment like this. It takes a way from an entire message and point of view you re trying to make just to be ignorant and rude to MacT. I am the first to not like what he has done with this team overall, and love the fact that he and Kevin Lowe are not running this team anymore, but just because you can hide behind your keyboard doesnt give you the right to make such a sh****** comment.

If you wouldnt say it to his face, I dont think it is appropriate to say it here. And if you would say it to his face your a jerk.

I approve of this message.:thumbu:

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
If Calgary and Colorado can make the playoffs in the years they did so can we.

Exactly.

Or we could finish 28th overall again.

To steal from William Goldman, "Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one."

Last season's standings are an amazing reminder of this.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Sure it's nice that the team is 5-0 in preseason. But it's preseason and doesn't matter at all. The regular season is a very different beast altogether. So possible, maybe. Probable, not likely.

A lot would have to go right for the Oilers to make the playoffs. Starting with Flames 2014/15 level of luck.

Worraps

Oct 23, 2011
Edmonton
One can make a plausible case for the Oilers being a playoff team this season.

One cannot make a reasonable case for the Oilers being a playoff team this season.

Plausible is a lot better than what we're used to, so I'll take it.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Pre-season means nothing to me.

I wouldn't say it's impossible for us to make the playoffs but a lot has to go right for that to happen. I think we have too many questions marks still.

If we somehow make it everyone will be talking about how unsustainable it was because multiple players will have to be having career years and/or huge shooting %, etc

We are depending on so many question marks to pan out I wouldn't be shocked if we finished anywhere from 6th to 14th in the West. What a safe guess, eh? But seriously, we need everything to click to do well and it would be very easy to go straight back to Suckville if we have injuries or even one key player underperform.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad