GDT: CAN vs. FIN May 18, 2024

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Oh well, at least quite entertaining and not one-sided at all. Would be quite funny if we wouldn't get to the qf but I believe we will. And Sweden won't be overly happy about it I think.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
The Czech Republic is and remains a bad place for the Finnish NT. They have never won anything if it's held there. It wouldn't surprise me if they miss even the quarterfinal because they lost against Austria.
Even if they win against Denmark in regular time, it won’t help them.
Against Switzerland, they will lose too in regular time. So they would finish the preliminary round with only 10 points if they win against Denmark at all.

Assuming Austria wins the last 2 games against the Brits and Norway, what is very likely, they are qualified for the quarterfinal as they also have 10 points. But they won against Finland so they finish as 4th and Finland as 5th in the preliminary round.

When didn't Finlnd reach the last time the quarterfinal? It must have been a very long time ago.

Last edited:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It's just a joke based off South Park. No offense was intended.
Yeah I wasn't offended, don't worry. I see it as banter which is fine :)

The Czech Republic is and remains a bad place for the Finnish NT. They have never won anything if it's held there. It wouldn't surprise me if they miss even the quarterfinal because they lost against Austria.
Even if they win against Denmark in regular time, it won’t help them.
Against Switzerland, they will lose too in regular time. So they would finish the preliminary round with only 10 points if they win against Denmark at all.
Assuming Austria wins the last 2 games against the Brits and Norway, what is very likely, they are qualified for the quarterfinal as they also have 10 points. But they won against Finland so they will finish as 4th and Finland as 5th in the preliminary round.

When didn't Finlnd reach the last time the quarterfinal? It must have been a very long time ago.
In the 1930's or something, its been ages

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He didn't try and split him in half but he did nutshot him

In response, Pulju literally tried to rip Byram's entire cranium off his shoulders, hold it up high, drink the fountaining blood from the exposed neck hole, and scream to the heavens in an orgy of glorious violence as the crimson warmth from the decapitated head part rains down upon his shoulders.

See, we can do hyperbole too!

Last edited:

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Under Jalonen, Finland had the best time ever. But it could also be the biggest crash under Jalonen that there has ever been. In any case, I can't remember when Finnlan didn't reach the play-offs or the last 8.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Under Jalonen, Finland had the best time ever. But it could also be the biggest crash under Jalonen that there has ever been. In any case, I can't remember when Finnlan didn't reach the play-offs or the last 8.

I kind of hope that Finland makes it to QF atleast so that Jalonen doesn't have to go out like that. It would be a brutal end after all he did for Finnish international hockey.

I don't mind seeing these underdogs succeed though, we need that in hockey. It's been so stagnant at the top for so long.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
I kind of hope that Finland makes it to QF atleast so that Jalonen doesn't have to go out like that. It would be a brutal end after all he did for Finnish international hockey.

I don't mind seeing these underdogs succeed though, we need that in hockey. It's been so stagnant at the top for so long.
I'm not interested in the underdog thing. Either Finland plays a good tournament or not. Even if the QF were reached, there is a risk of a historic defeat against Sweden. That wouldn't be a good ending either. Unfortunately, Jalonen put together the squad very poorly this time.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I'm not interested in the underdog thing. Either Finland plays a good tournament or not. Even if the QF were reached, there is a risk of a historic defeat against Sweden. That wouldn't be a good ending either. Unfortunately, Jalonen put together the squad very poorly this time.
Yeah, this was a year when he should have left 3-4 spots open to be filled after NHL playoff round finished. This team is lacking too much, well, everything, to be a consistent threat against top teams. On the other hand, good experience building for the many youngsters on the team. I was thinking they would get to quarters but that seems to be not at all certain.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
2 NHL players vs. team of NHL'ers. Was close by playing what a lot of people in Finland call anti-hockey, which i agree is exactly what Team Finland plays. Im so tired of that standing behind you own net for 40seconds of a 2minute powerplay shit.

Anyways, good game and nice that Puljujärvi got couple goals. Very easy to root for the guy, he seems just so genuine and funny dude i hope he manages to put in at least somewhat succesful NHL career.

The pinches by Canadian defenders vs. Finnish defenders are so funny to watch. When a Canadian defender pinches he makes sure that the puck goes back behind the net and the winger who is challenging it is lookin at the roof, and when the Finnish defender pinches he touches the puck with the stick in one hand and is saying sorry if he he touches the Canadian winger.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Back to back games? Nice! Something to watch on Sunday.

Tough opponent? Nice! We need a challenge.

A loss? Nice! I don't think many teams run the RR table and then win Gold.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Back to back games? Nice! Something to watch on Sunday.

Tough opponent? Nice! We need a challenge.

A loss? Nice! I don't think many teams run the RR table and then win Gold.

It only gets tougher, Swiss on the tail end of a back to back and then a newly reinforced Czech team in front of their rabid fans.

Curious to see what happens. I could see dropping both if our goaltending isn’t up for it.

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017

By underdogs I mean countries like Austria, Denmark,, etc. If they qualify instead of Finland I'm not going to be too upset about it.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
By underdogs I mean countries like Austria, Denmark,, etc. If they qualify instead of Finland I'm not going to be too upset about it.
As I said, I don't care at all. I think it would be a shame if Finland doesn't make it. I don't care whether underdogs make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad