Can viewers turn off player tracking tv?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ahh, I missed it.

But I’m assuming there won’t be an option to turn it off on cable, unless there’s a chanel with the player tracking graphics and one without. I don’t think it’s something you can turn off and on like closed captions.

Streaming on their app, maybe.
Why not have different options on their channels anyone with cable gets all 5 sportnets and you only get 1 or two games at a time most of the time

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This was going on during the entire game?
To be fair, I only turned game on at start of third so I don't know about first two periods.

But it was definitely on in 10 second or so intervals (say every 45 seconds or so) throughout the entire third. On off, on off........

If they were testing it, it was an utter failure. Without exaggeration there were times when there would be a scramble for a loose puck near the crease and you couldn't see the puck and several players because the name tags were all in a pile on top of them.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Why not have different options on their channels anyone with cable gets all 5 sportnets and you only get 1 or two games at a time most of the time
That would work, just not sure they would want to take up a another channel for the same game. Where they could show a different game and potentially get two more fanbases worth of viewership.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't see a problem with flashing it for a couple seconds at the start of a shift. Just don't overdo it obviously.

Would be cool if there was a way for the watcher to display on demand, like holding Alt to display health bars in a game.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
View attachment 409117

Brutal. There’s a Flyer there somewhere under the Lemieux tag.
That's awful.

Those things need to be half the size if there's any shot of them ever working.

Like you really need the Rangers logo next to each player's name? Didn't they think making it blue was enough? And they don't need the first initial either. The part with the shot total is somewhat translucent. The whole thing should be.

Reactions: Number8

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
NBC experimenting (I hope) with player tracking in Rangers Flyers blowout tonight. Will they give fans option of turning this off?

Several times the name tags cover the play. Particularly in crease area. Like suddenly having an obstructed view pole from old Boston Garden put in front of your seat.

a video would be nice to see..

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
a video would be nice to see..
I wish I'd thought to video it last night. I just "rewound" cable feed to snap that picture I posted. Damn.

I know it's not the same, but if you look at the still shot I included and then imagine those name plates going right to left (and up and down) across the screen at the pace that a player skates from one end of your tv to the other that's what it looked like.

Those things were flying all over and covering up everything underneath them as they did.

NHL will need to put out some sort of epileptic seizure warning notice if they use this garbage again.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
NBC experimenting (I hope) with player tracking in Rangers Flyers blowout tonight. Will they give fans option of turning this off?

Several times the name tags cover the play. Particularly in crease area. Like suddenly having an obstructed view pole from old Boston Garden put in front of your seat.

No kidding. You would think with my team up 9-0 in the 3rd id be giddy and have not a care in the world, but whenever they had that shit pop up while during action it was obnoxiously intrusive. Until they can implement a less intrusive method of this they should stick to doing it only at the faceoffs.

Reactions: Number8

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Its something all the sports leagues have started to do in order to cosmetically alter a game to appear like a video game. They claim it keeps young people more engaged. Its been going on for over a decade and they are adding more and more graphics and its becoming overkill.

The only sport i would say that works in is baseball because its a slow game with minimal action.

Reactions: jaloviina

blueinbigd

Mar 8, 2012
I love the way the game was shown in the first two periods.
If this is still a game there is no way they are doing that
Its 9 nothing but why they would think anybody would want to see it like that I don't know.
I love NBCs coverage.
There coverage is superior to the Canadian networks.
I like how NBC puts the emphasis on letting you see the play whereas the Canadians seem to be more into showing players with more close ups during play and more robo cams at center ice

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
They should just put a flame emoji over the head's of the top 3 leading scorers of each team and call it a day.

They should go NHL 2k6 and have enforcers with a big E under them. If you get a big hit from an enforcer than you are intimidated and have a big I under you and have a bunch of stat penalties.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I feel like you guys are collectively going through what baseball fans went through with the superimposed strike zone.

I think the answer is no.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They should go NHL 2k6 and have enforcers with a big E under them. If you get a big hit from an enforcer than you are intimidated and have a big I under you and have a bunch of stat penalties.
We need to have the current momentum calculated and displayed somewhere in the score overlay.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
For years I have wondered why broadcasts don't just simply place the numbers of the players on the ice, discreetly by the score.

Hockey is hard enough to watch on TV, what get's entirely missed is that it is a shift to shift game who is out there, who they are against and how long they have been out are critical aspects of what is going on during a game that a TV viewer has to "work" to figure out.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Doesn’t every broadcast show the players bench between whistle? And or them coasting around? Why not do certain stats then isolated players, and other stats for replays/intermission

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad