Can this Lindros tidbit possibly be true?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I was reading a book called "Canada On Ice - 50 years of Great Hockey". It's a compilation of MacLean's hockey articles going back to the 40's. It's been quite a good read because it allows you to get more insight into what perceptions were at the time of the article.

My question is about Lindros. In an article from 1991, it mentions that he used to practice with kids that were 17-19 when he was 15. That is not hard to believe at all, but I remember it mentioning that he "rode to practice on a unicycle while carrying his equipment." I read it over a few times and I see no attempts at sarcasm or a joke. It appears that they're stating this as fact. Considering this is the first I've heard of it, I think it has to be false. But you never know... back in 1991 Lindros could do anything.

Your thoughts?

CheeseSandwich*

As far as I know it's true. His dad was and might still be a unicycle enthusiast and even tried to market them as training devices using his son as his spokes model at one point.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Here is a personal short story from 1988....
The Canadian National Team came to Saint John NB to play the Soviets in a couple of exhibition games. Team Canada was made up of top amateurs that aged from 22 and up, while the Soviets were made up of pros from the Russian league.....anyways, there were whispers that a new young phenom would be dressing for Canada in these two games.....that young phenom was a young 15 year old Eric Lindros. No word of a lie, but the kid didn't look out of place at all.
I was 12 at the time and was chosen to drop the puck at center ice by my minor hockey association and got to meet both teams. My parents sat next to Carl and Bonnie at the Lord Beaverbrook Arena during the game, needless to say, the rest is history.
So yes, its not a joke and yes, he was playing not only 17-19 kids as a 15 year old, but he played men at that age, in 1988.
/still have the photos and Canada and USSR medallions that were given to me.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lindros was very good at riding the unicycle. In his autobiography from 1991 it shows a picture of him riding one on Christmas morning inside the house. So we know he certainly could ride one. Now, could he do it while carrying his equipment? Possibly. People ride two wheeled bikes and carry things all the time so it is possible

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I was reading a book called "Canada On Ice - 50 years of Great Hockey". It's a compilation of MacLean's hockey articles going back to the 40's. It's been quite a good read because it allows you to get more insight into what perceptions were at the time of the article.

My question is about Lindros. In an article from 1991, it mentions that he used to practice with kids that were 17-19 when he was 15. That is not hard to believe at all, but I remember it mentioning that he "rode to practice on a unicycle while carrying his equipment." I read it over a few times and I see no attempts at sarcasm or a joke. It appears that they're stating this as fact. Considering this is the first I've heard of it, I think it has to be false. But you never know... back in 1991 Lindros could do anything.

Your thoughts?
I have that book. It is a great read. Must re-read the Lindros articke.

member 51464

Maybe he had to hold his head down to use his chin to help hold everything steady?

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Lindros was very good at riding the unicycle. In his autobiography from 1991 it shows a picture of him riding one on Christmas morning inside the house. So we know he certainly could ride one. Now, could he do it while carrying his equipment? Possibly. People ride two wheeled bikes and carry things all the time so it is possible

Yep.....

unicyclewj0.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad