Can the Yotes live w/o OEL, we we got a huge return?

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
As the question states, if we can get a return that allows us to fill multiple positions, and does not diminish our D strength 3-4 years down the road. I am talking about a trade with parts who have high potential that are likely to be reached. Would you be willing to part with OEL, if you know it likely leads to a better future for the organization?

I'm not asking whether a trade would be realistic, which is irrelevant for this thread, since it's just gauging OEL's value for the franchise. For example, if we can make a deal like:

to :avs :
OEL
Hanzal
Stone

to :coyotes :
Duchene
Barrie
10th OA in 2015
1st in 2016

Or another deal along these lines:

to :edmonton :
OEL
Hanzal

to :coyotes :
Draisaitl
Hall
Pitts 1st in 2015
Oilers 1st in 2016

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Moving OEL isn't worth our time to discuss. It's just not feasible given our blueline and group of D prospects. Even adding Hanifin to the mix doesn't likely change that stance.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Both of those are insane returns and I think I'd have to take them. I truly think if Ollie played in a big market he'd have a Norris by now, and I think he had a shot at being a or the top dman in the league for a long time, but those are Lindros level returns.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I'd trade OEL if we got Mcdavid or an insane package back, but realistically that would never happen so I just said no.

We should just keep him.

Last edited:

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If we deal OEL, we would obviously be taking Hanifin; and possibly Proporov/Werenski if we can get a second pick in a position to select one of them.

Let's say Duchene's rough season becomes a trend, and not just an anomaly, and Werenski/Provorov don't live up to their potential, if that happens, we've traded an elite talent for two very good players. Not the best way to build a franchise.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Yea for sure, as long as the right deal were in place. The down side (and the part that would ultimately stop me) is moving OEL for futures, no matter how much of a "sure thing" they are. If it's something like Monohan + 15OA + Backlund + '16 2nd then I might bite.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Let's say Duchene's rough season becomes a trend, and not just an anomaly, and Werenski/Provorov don't live up to their potential, if that happens, we've traded an elite talent for two very good players. Not the best way to build a franchise.

Fair point, what about the oilers package?

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site

That's possible.

Although I'm not too concerned with Duchene's past season; Avs as a whole was in a deep funk offensively fort the first half of the season; and they were no longer a surprise like the year before. Everyone young elite player seems to experience a season or two of apparent regression; happens to guys like Stamkos, Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Giroux, etc. Duchene is almost as much a sure thing as OEL, in terms of how much future potential would be fulfilled.

Even if Duchene and Provorov/Werenski both turn out to be merely top-6 / top-4 material (really their floors), we would still have a couple more assets in a very good offensive 3-D (Barrie), as well as a 1st in 2016 that would allow us to use to move up, for a better chance at Matthews (or another top forward prospect).

DesertDawg

Mar 6, 2002
Superstition Mts
ridefree.net
OP seems obsessive with 2016 1sts!

Can't trade Hanzal until after we know how he plays during camp. He could have his best season yet

None of the trade scenarios makes it worth trading Oliver, It would have to be more drastic

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Intellectually, if we could get a legit generational superstar or a ridiculous, mind-bending overpayment, we should think about moving OEL.

Emotionally, I want his number to be the second one retired next to Doan's at Gila River Arena.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
There's a short list of players that would be worth moving OEL for, that wouldn't immediately make the team worse. Or, put another way; OEL would have to be the 2nd best player in the deal. The likelihood of those players moving in trade is basically zero.

Nonstarter.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Agree that this is a silly discussion ... it's not going to happen. But if it did, the return would have to blow away the Yandle return. Not just beat the Yandle return, blow it away. I don't have a list of every good young forward in the NHL in front of me, but Nathan MacKinnon is roughly the bottom of the tier of acceptable main pieces.

McDavid or Seguin straight across. Eichel or MacKinnon with a small sweetener. Anything less is a non-starter.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
OEL is the best thing that u guys have going. And the rest of the d core isn't overly impressive and d prospects are weak. If OEL is traded, this team will definitely relocate because a lot of fans will be pissed off and there will be even less fans will go to games. ... OEL has been the only reason why I tune into Yotes games throughout the year on TV

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Maloney said that Doan is the only player not available for trade, but deep down, I don't want OEL to go. I'd rather try and win the bidding war for Kopitar or see if in the next 2 or 3 seasons if the Pens are desperate enough and open to trade Malkin.

roadrunner

Jul 25, 2003
U Can'tTake Me Alive
Visit site
I don't think moving Oliver is going to happen, of course, but I'm hesitant to call this thread "silly" or " a waste of time". It's an interesting thought; how many inquiries do GMs field about "un-tradeable" players? Does Maloney just say "shut your piehole, no freegin' way" and angrily slam down the phone (lol old school)? Or does he say, "you're offering x, y, z.....keep talking?"

To decimate an already thin blueline, we'd need to get x, y, z, plus the rest of the alphabet to extract OEL. I voted the middle one. Even our clear MVP is movable...it's pro sports.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
All players are expendable. The only question you need to ask if if you are POTENTIALLY a better team after the trade. With the Yandle deal it is yet to be determined. I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad deal, but it's too early to assess if the Yotes are a better team from the deal.

If we moved OEL I would want a proven talent (or talents), not prospects.

If I'm GMDM I certainly would NOT be shopping OEL, but I would always listen to offers.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
No player is untouchable if the price is right. Players of greater stature and talent have been traded in the past. Some of the theoretical deals proposed look good on paper but what kind of talent is in the draft pipeline? McDavid and Eichel have generated chatter the past few seasons. With prospects of their stature waiting in the wings such a deal could be made but what are the odds of this level of talent being there next year and beyond?

I would be curious for an honest assessment of OEL's feelings about this franchise moving forward. Any sign of discontent and I'd be more willing to move him if I'm GM.

letowskie

Aug 16, 2002
In your worst nighmare
Visit site
No player is untouchable if the price is right. Players of greater stature and talent have been traded in the past. Some of the theoretical deals proposed look good on paper but what kind of talent is in the draft pipeline? McDavid and Eichel have generated chatter the past few seasons. With prospects of their stature waiting in the wings such a deal could be made but what are the odds of this level of talent being there next year and beyond?

I would be curious for an honest assessment of OEL's feelings about this franchise moving forward. Any sign of discontent and I'd be more willing to move him if I'm GM.

Next year we are likely to have a big 4 at the top:

Matthews, Brown, Puljuljarvi, Chychrun

There are also a few others that can potentially jump into that top tier over the year, as they physically mature and learn the game, such as Tkachuk or Sokolov.

If we decide that we try to go for it again next year, in terms of the draft, then there is a pretty good chance that we will come away with a top C (Matthews/Brown), if we have the pieces to trade up from #4/5 if needed. Which means that we need to gather as many picks next year as possible.

The draft won't be as top heavy as this year, and the difference among the top 4/5 won't be nearly as pronounced as Mcd/Eichel versus the rest of the field this year. So we would stand a decent chance at moving up if we have, say the #4 pick, and a couple of later 1sts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad