News Article: Can the Rangers trade into 1st round? New THW column!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
The #5 is not worth Staal.

You clearly have not been to the Canes board. Go and educate yourself, man.

but seriously, it doesn't make sense to me to make moves throughout the year to bolster the roster by trading away picks when the situation demands it and then during the off season, trade away pieces to get a, say #5 pick.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Brad Richards traded for a first round pick! :laugh:

sather-magician-300x235.jpg

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
I recently published a column on THW discussing the possibility of thr Rangers trading into the first round, along with the possibility of the Hurricanes wanting Marc Staal. I would love to hear what you all think: http://thehockeywriters.com/rangers-2013-draft-could-sather-trade-into-the-first-round/

This is a good column. Even though I don't agree with some of your ideas, it doesn't make them wrong, just different. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I don't think trading Staal is the best idea, especially right now. He LOVES New York from everything I have heard. And after his recent injury his current value is probably lower than it should be.

Greg02

Jun 28, 2009
You clearly have not been to the Canes board. Go and educate yourself, man.

but seriously, it doesn't make sense to me to make moves throughout the year to bolster the roster by trading away picks when the situation demands it and then during the off season, trade away pieces to get a, say #5 pick.

The number 5 pick can turn into anything. It can even turn into a number one shutdown defenseman!

16 To Stanley*

The number 5 pick can turn into anything. It can even turn into a number one shutdown defenseman!

It can even turn into a bust.

Trading a proven player, especially one of Hagelin/Staal's caliber, for an unproven commodity, is one of the worst ideas for a team that is on the cusp of contending.

The ONLY time this is EVER acceptable is for two reasons

1) The team is not contending and going through a rebuild process (I.E. Calgary)

2) The player is expendable/expected to leave via FA (I.E. Jordan Staal)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It's a TERRIBLE idea to give up players for a first round pick. The only reason - THE ONLY REASON - anyone here wants to do it is because you want to make draft day interesting. There's no other reason.

But in reality, we are a team trying to win now. Do you really think it would be wise to give up a guy like Hagelin for a draft pick who - AT BEST! - will take 2-3 years to crack the NHL, and another few years to reach his prime? And half the players drafted in the first round outside of the top-10 NEVER make the NHL.

But even if the player does make it, how does it make sense to give up a player right now to get someone who'll only be useful in 4-6 years? Aren't we trying to win now while Lundqvist is still playing and Nash is in his prime?

Agree, and it's even more apparent now that Richards is still here. Get some depth and drop the puck.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks Maineice

This is a good column. Even though I don't agree with some of your ideas, it doesn't make them wrong, just different. I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I don't think trading Staal is the best idea, especially right now. He LOVES New York from everything I have heard. And after his recent injury his current value is probably lower than it should be.

Yeah, the tenor of the column is far from "trade that Staal bum!!!" I just thought it was an interesting idea to analyze. Thanks for reading.

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
It can even turn into a bust.

Trading a proven player, especially one of Hagelin/Staal's caliber, for an unproven commodity, is one of the worst ideas for a team that is on the cusp of contending.

The ONLY time this is EVER acceptable is for two reasons

1) The team is not contending and going through a rebuild process (I.E. Calgary)

2) The player is expendable/expected to leave via FA (I.E. Jordan Staal)

If you're going to trade a young NHL'r like Staal, and to a lesser extent Hags or MDZ, then it would make more sense to trade for something more than a pick...Seguin, Vanek, to name just 2 possibilities.

16 To Stanley*

If you're going to trade a young NHL'r like Staal, and to a lesser extent Hags or MDZ, then it would make more sense to trade for something more than a pick...Seguin, Vanek, to name just 2 possibilities.

So you agree with what I'm saying then?

Obviously trading an NHL player, ala Hagelin, Staal, MDZ for another NHL player, specifically the high level ones you mentioned (Vanek & Seguin) is completely different than trading them for picks.

In no way, would i ever advocate, trading Hags, MDZ or Staal for a pick, unless it was the 1st or 2nd overall and essentially a can't miss prospect that is hopping into the lineup immediately.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
This draft has some good prospects but I also kind of agree with 16TS in that. Staal especially. It;d have to be a blow your head off 6 times and away by far sort of deal.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Staal for Skinner & #5 pick.

I am not a big fan of the idea of trading Staal, but if we get Skin and #5, we should do it.

These are the 10 players drafted at #5 between 2000 and 2009. At this spot, you are likely to get a solid, but unspectacular NHLer. Where it becomes worth it is that we would get the draftee at a low ELC contract. But certainly anything less than Skin and #5 is probably not worth it.

Brayden Schenn
Luke Schenn
Karl Alzner
Phil Kessel
Carey Price
Blake Wheeler
Thomas Vanek
Ryan Whitney
Stanislav Chistov
Raffi Torres

Ad

Upcoming events