Can the NHL replicate the Olympics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
A World's Club Championship would do very well if only for the novelty.

If my team team just played 82 regular season games and then four playoffs rounds the very last thing I would want then to do is play some meaningless exhibition games against teams who are going to be way more motivated then they are. Judging from the injury lists released at the end of the playoffs I can't see it happening. Players already sit out the world championship every year, I can't see them being thrilled about this.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
IOC should move hockey to the summer Olympics.

1.) More people watch the summer games/opportunity to grow the game

2.) Doesn't affect the NHL season

3.) 24/7 hockey during Olympic years

Reactions: KTl

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
So we're hearing about how the World Cup of Hockey is not happening again. We're also hearing how the owners still don't want to do it.

The league feels they don't get much out of it, the insurance cost, the travel, shutting down the league and then not being able to use any footage after the fact. I don't know if they need to re-think the World Cup of Hockey or try to name it something different but I think maybe the NHL should just try to fill it's own void here.

Maybe the league should take it upon themselves to shut down their own league but be in charge of it to at least reap the benefits. Offer a medal or some cash prizes. Maybe it generates some HRR to help grow the NHL?

1. No fake teams (North America, Europe etc)
2. Allow Sweden, Russia etc to use players from other leagues
3. NHL size rinks
4. Have gold medals and a cash prize at the conclusion of the tournament
5. Adopt IIHF refs and rules, no fighting, strict calls etc.
6. NHL takes on the burden of cost of insurance since they actually benefit from it.

I would say that it would probably start off being hosted in North America for a number of years but ideally the NHL can branch out to other countries etc but the country would need to ensure NHL size rinks.

Why NHL rinks? Frankly, there is a lot more action and excitement which could draw in a casual fan into maybe a more invested fan.

Anyways, this is super easy for me to type this out and be like "oh let's do that" but what do you think? Can the NHL legitimize the World Cup of Hockey? Can they create a different event to duplicate the Olympics? IF not, is International hockey at the professional level dead beyond the World Championships which isn't truly best on best.

What do you think? Can it be done? Should it be done? How would you want to see it done?[/QUOTE

No your idea is Pejorative Slured the NHL is business. What if your team loses a superstar that is getting paid now north of 8 million, that's a tough loss for the league and team for a useless tournament.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I've said it before, and still feel this is the route to go. NHL should establish an annual two week international break mid-season (and align it with the European leagues international break) and adjust their schedule accordingly... however in that break you'd see the rotation of:
Year 1: Olympics
Year 2: NHL All Star Gala (move hall of fame inductions, the all star game, and any other random hockey related things to highlight)
Year 3: World Cup of Hockey
Year 4: NHL All Star Gala

So basically you don't have an annual all-star game anymore, it becomes a bi-annual event but you can make it a bigger event as a result. You then get NHL participation in the Olympics, and have a World Cup in the off years that all clubs worldwide can contribute their players to.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
So we're hearing about how the World Cup of Hockey is not happening again. We're also hearing how the owners still don't want to do it.

The league feels they don't get much out of it, the insurance cost, the travel, shutting down the league and then not being able to use any footage after the fact. I don't know if they need to re-think the World Cup of Hockey or try to name it something different but I think maybe the NHL should just try to fill it's own void here.

Maybe the league should take it upon themselves to shut down their own league but be in charge of it to at least reap the benefits. Offer a medal or some cash prizes. Maybe it generates some HRR to help grow the NHL?

1. No fake teams (North America, Europe etc)
2. Allow Sweden, Russia etc to use players from other leagues
3. NHL size rinks
4. Have gold medals and a cash prize at the conclusion of the tournament
5. Adopt IIHF refs and rules, no fighting, strict calls etc.
6. NHL takes on the burden of cost of insurance since they actually benefit from it.

I would say that it would probably start off being hosted in North America for a number of years but ideally the NHL can branch out to other countries etc but the country would need to ensure NHL size rinks.

Why NHL rinks? Frankly, there is a lot more action and excitement which could draw in a casual fan into maybe a more invested fan.

Anyways, this is super easy for me to type this out and be like "oh let's do that" but what do you think? Can the NHL legitimize the World Cup of Hockey? Can they create a different event to duplicate the Olympics? IF not, is International hockey at the professional level dead beyond the World Championships which isn't truly best on best.

What do you think? Can it be done? Should it be done? How would you want to see it done?
they did it before . nhl players going to the olympics is a very recent thing

tbh i thought they made the gimick teams last go arounds for two reasons 1 differentiate from the winter olympics 2 . give kopitar and drai a team that isnt garbage

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
The 1976. 1981, 1984, 1987, 1991, 1996, 2004 Canada Cups were great as far as timing, quality of hockey, and format. Why not just go back to that? Scrap the World Championships and go best and best every September in World Cup play. Screw the IIHF.

Glad we're not shutting down the season for two weeks in the middle so players can go halfway around the world to play in a dumb tournament in which meaningful games are only played in week two. Bye, Bye Olympics and good riddance.

My Best-Carey

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
If my team team just played 82 regular season games and then four playoffs rounds the very last thing I would want then to do is play some meaningless exhibition games against teams who are going to be way more motivated then they are. Judging from the injury lists released at the end of the playoffs I can't see it happening. Players already sit out the world championship every year, I can't see them being thrilled about this.
Make the WC to have a meaning. Additionally, not all of the best players even play in the finals ... just the best team.

I think IIHF is already also considering making the rink size smaller too.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Zero interest in any NHL fake "international" tournament whether they call it the World Cup or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad