Can the NHL do something to fix the inside of the nets?

FirewagonChange

Oct 8, 2014
Most of the time goals are scored the puck comes flinging back out of the net. The puck sometimes will also get lost in the lining of the net. Seeing the puck in the net after a goal is scored is more aesthetically pleasing to the viewers, plus it wouldn't confuse anyone not knowing if it was an actual goal or not.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
For viewers that can't follow the game that well, there is a red light behind the net to help you notice the puck has crossed the line.

Off topic a little bit: Who controls that red light now? When I was younger there used to be a guy who would sit on a stool and press a button when he saw the puck cross the line. I was at a game yesterday and noticed he is there no more.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
I like the "flinging" out of the net. Reminds me of the "swoosh" in basketball.

As another mentioned I look for the red light but I look for the ref's call too.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
This may be wrong but I thought the tenseness of the net was to prevent the puck from getting through the holes or something like that. I know there's an actual reason for it though.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
There are bigger problems in the NHL than the netting being too tight. Loose netting looks shoddy anyway.. way more satisfying (as a player at least) to have the puck pop right back out, means you got it up in the corners where it's super taut

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
There are bigger problems in the NHL than the netting being too tight. Loose netting looks shoddy anyway.. way more satisfying (as a player at least) to have the puck pop right back out, means you got it up in the corners where it's super taut

I dunno, how about when the goalie has to sweep it out of the net after it gets absolutely crushed in?:handclap: and the crowd is nuts?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Maybe it helps with the puck not getting stuck on the backside of the net. If it were a lose net, the puck would fall on it and lay there, in many cases leading to a stop in play unless a player can dig it out in time. But if the net is relatively rigid, a puck would bounce away from the backside in most cases. Not to mention that a more rigid net would stand at an almost vertical angle, making it harder for the puck to rest on it in the first place.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Most of the time goals are scored the puck comes flinging back out of the net. The puck sometimes will also get lost in the lining of the net. Seeing the puck in the net after a goal is scored is more aesthetically pleasing to the viewers, plus it wouldn't confuse anyone not knowing if it was an actual goal or not.

IDK, I like watching pucks fly back out. It's especially satisfying as a player because even goals that aren't snipes can look pretty sweet.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
The tension on the nets also helps for when the puck gets stuck on the back of the net. When it's tight it's easy to give the netting a little whack and it pops off but when it's loose it tends to get stuck and usually causes scrums.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
This may be wrong but I thought the tenseness of the net was to prevent the puck from getting through the holes or something like that. I know there's an actual reason for it though.

I think it was too create fewer stoppages due to the puck being trapped in the back of the net.

Batrous

May 4, 2016
For viewers that can't follow the game that well, there is a red light behind the net to help you notice the puck has crossed the line.

Off topic a little bit: Who controls that red light now? When I was younger there used to be a guy who would sit on a stool and press a button when he saw the puck cross the line. I was at a game yesterday and noticed he is there no more.

They put a lot of the goal judges in the press box now a days.

Batrous

May 4, 2016

I also should mention that with some of the goal lights some teams use I've found them to be a little hard to see. Nashville light, Dallas's light, Penguins: all of them can be hard to make out.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I like the "flinging" out of the net. Reminds me of the "swoosh" in basketball.

As another mentioned I look for the red light but I look for the ref's call too.

I don't like the tight nets and all the flinging! Make the goalie fish the puck out of the net after my team scores on you... :laugh:

It adds to the insult / injury for the goalie. I don't think there's anything like it in any other sport. Maybe shooting pool where loser racks.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Are you serious with this? How about inside the net can be a giant hole and then the puck travels below the ice to the center ice face-off dot and gets fired into the air? Bubble hockey, but in real life.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Maybe it helps with the puck not getting stuck on the backside of the net. If it were a lose net, the puck would fall on it and lay there, in many cases leading to a stop in play unless a player can dig it out in time. But if the net is relatively rigid, a puck would bounce away from the backside in most cases. Not to mention that a more rigid net would stand at an almost vertical angle, making it harder for the puck to rest on it in the first place.

If I'm not mistaken, that's how the nets used to be, until they decided they were creating too many stoppages and delays and tightened the mesh.

Can't please all the people all the time.

"Aesthetically speaking", if that's a true concern, the puck does stay in the net 99% of the time...

SmCurse

Sep 4, 2013
Someone should manufacture semi-elastic net. Shots would stay in. Pucks wouldn't get stuck in loose nettings.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Buffalo used to have them wound so tight too. Looked like you threw a rubber superball against a solid concrete wall type of bounce.

this is a hockey pet peeve of mine.

Come on, the entire game is about the puck and where it needs to go!

After some hard work and/or skill, it somehow gets to where the ultimate "goal" is. Keep it there are a few seconds at least!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad