Can the Montreal Canadiens finish the next season with 50+ wins?

Can the Montreal Canadiens finish the next season with 50+ wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
44 wins this season, yet 86 % of you think they won't win 6-8 more next season, interesting point of view.
Canadiens were already the 14th best team in this regular season, while having important players miss games due to injuries.

Byron missed 36 games | 15 goals, 31 points (0.57 ppg), +16, 3 shg, 3 gwg)
Armia missed 35 games | 13 goals (0.42 ppg, +1, 1 shg, 2 gwg)
Weber missed 34 games | 15 goals, 34 points (0.60 ppg, +15, 5 ppg, 3 gwg)
Shaw missed 20 games | 19 goals, 47 points (0.75 ppg, +17, 3 ppg, 3 gwg)

Their top players s% varied from 7% to 14%, there's tons of improvement on that.

Canadiens are really well structured/built team, i think they have pretty much a set team as it is, no needs for bringing
big names in the off season, only few players what they need to bring back and they're ready for the next season.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
I believe the Habs won't regress but Florida will force and arms race in the Atlantic. Tampa will still be great, Boston won't regress too much, Toronto will still be a contender, Buffalo will be forced to make moves to keep up. Their division gets rougher next year.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
44 wins this season, yet 86 % of you think they won't win 6-8 more next season, interesting point of view.
Canadiens were already the 14th best team in this regular season, while having important players miss games due to injuries.

Their top players s% varied from 7% to 14%, there's tons of improvement on that.

Canadiens are really well structured/built team, i think they have pretty much a set team as it is, no needs for bringing
big names in the off season, only few players what they need to bring back and they're ready for the next season.

6-8 more wins is A LOT. You do realize if the Habs had 6 more wins this year they would've finished second in the whole league behind Tampa?

Reactions: Realgud

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It all depends on what our enigmatic GM does. If he continues to make moves like he has the past year then there's a very strong possibility that the Habs will improve. If he makes moves like he did the first six years of his tenure, then I can see the Habs taking a couple of steps back.

Bergevin needs to improve on three spots: backup goalie, top four left defence man and top six scoring threat. The backup goalie shouldn't be a problem, maybe even Lindgren could step up but if he can't MB needs to improve here. At the press conference he said he wasn't bringing back Niemi so that's a step in the right direction. There are top scoring forwards to be had in UFA. MB needs to hit one out of the ballpark here. With the cap space he has had for the last two years there are no excuses for not getting one of the offensive UFAs. The left defence man I'll leave up to MB to figure out how to get. After all he's the one making the big bucks.

I can see MB accomplishing two of the three (backup goalie, signing a scoring UFA) and improving the team enough but to achieve 50 wins that would be a big leap.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
I think they overachived this year. I really don't like their roster from top to bottom. I'd be surprised if they made the playoffs.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
I'll say no because the draft and FA haven't happened yet.

If we make moves there to improve the team it's possible, but not with the team as it is right now.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Probably not 50 wins next season but with the new additions i can see a better season next yr eclipsing the 44 win mark.
I can see us overtaking the Leafs in the standings.Only was a 4 pt spread.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
No game breaking talent up front lack strong depth on the back end. Kotakaniemi will need to take an enormous step for them to get there. The following season i could see it happening but not next year. Poehling and Suzuki need to prove they can consistently score at this level.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
nope.

Tampa, Boston and Toronto aren't going to slide
Florida should be better
Detroit and Buffalo are wild cards, could be better, could be bad again.
Ottawa is everyone's win booster

Just dont see where extra wins come from in that division

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
nope.

Tampa, Boston and Toronto aren't going to slide
Florida should be better
Detroit and Buffalo are wild cards, could be better, could be bad again.
Ottawa is everyone's win booster

Just dont see where extra wins come from in that division

Florida is expected to be/do better every damn year, i'm not gonna get fooled this time
(last 5 seasons ive picked them to finish 1-2 in their division)

I just don't believe in Buffalo, at all, their owner is almost as bad as Katz.
As good as Dahlin is, he is still few years away from what he will be in the future.
Skinner's great season (well almost great season) just disappeared to thin air during this season.
no repeat for him i think. Eichel is one heck of a player and that Reinhart fella seems be to pretty okay player after all but other that,
they are still rebuilding, heavily, not a good roster, yet.

Detroit is still bit of a mystery for me, the youth is coming, strong, but they still have those
dinosaurs in the D & G, even if they don't re-sign Kronwall. They probably shouldn't re-sign Vanek
other than that, Wings forward group looks surprisingly well balanced with plenty of skill,
good mix of young stars and older role players, improving but not significantly.

Montreal Canadiens are ahead of all 3 (Florida,Buffalo,Detroit) at the moment
and even further more next season.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
its possible though i wouldnt bet on it. playoffs though? sure. they fix that PP and thats a team i dont want to face in a series.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Im one of the most optimistic Habs fans out there

1. We had no real major injuries this year outside of Weber at the start. We were very lucky in that sense. Odds are we do worst not better with injuries next year . Other teams had way worst injury luck than us last season.

2. A lot of our players had career years/exceeded expectations. On the one hand that's exciting but its also not necessarily sustainable. Or at least - its very possible some players dont perform as well instead of all performing even better

3. 50 wins is a lot. Habs would likely finish with ~110 points or so with 50+wins. Would be good enough for top 3 team in league give or take

Now if you want us to take your question literally and answer *can* they finish with 50 wins? The answer is yes - of course.

But if you're asking *will they* - which is what i take your poll to be - my prediction is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad