Can the leafs make the playoffs next year?

Leafs

Sep 13, 2015
With this current line up....no. They can improve just by playing the youngsters all year and other teams getting older but not that much. Unless of course , Lou makes some moves to change that. I mean if Carey Price and Subban end up here then all bets are off right?

Kadri, Leafs first in 2017,Gardiner and Bernier for Price and Subban, Leafs sign Stamkos = playoffs.

maybe the most lopsided trade idea ive everseen

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Let's assume worst case scenario

Leafs draft 4th overall
Stamkos doesn't sign here
Yandle doesn't sign here
Reimer doesn't sign here

we'll likely be finishing around 10th in the east

Assuming best case scenario is gonna lead to heartbreak by September, so let's just take it slow.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Let's assume worst case scenario

Leafs draft 4th overall
Stamkos doesn't sign here
Yandle doesn't sign here
Reimer doesn't sign here

we'll likely be finishing around 10th in the east

Assuming best case scenario is gonna lead to heartbreak by September, so let's just take it slow.

:dunno:

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
It's so hard to make a lineup due to all the competition, I think we will see alot of trades and buyouts.

If the top 6 includes Kadri, JvR, Matthews/Stamkos/ or even Laine/Pulju and 1 more top 4 Dman along with Zaitsev and an improved goaltender like Andersen I'd say they have a good shot. If Marner is up for his 9 games and plays well that increases their chances even further

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We could, but a lot needs to go right. No team in our division looks great and we have talent but a couple things probably need to happen.

Sign Stamkos

Draft 1 or 2

have Draft pick, Marner and Nylander playing at a level they are in Calder discussion

Kadri needs to play like the center his analytic's dictate he should, which is a 25 goal year-55 to 60 point season taking tough matchups

Bernier bouncing back and starting to enter his peak

Zaitsev needs to be an immediate top 4 defender.

Rielly and Gardner need to take steps to establish themselves as a #1 D and #2 D levels, both are probably current 2's and 3's.

JVR needs to be a 30 goal guy

If most of those hit, I'd say we have a great chance and we have the coach and staff to help execute this, but its more likely we are bottom 3 than a playoff team. Those things happen we are a legitimate threat as a 2nd round team. But even if we sign Stamkos and draft one of Laine or Matthews, I would still say we are on the outside looking in.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Well I'd say if all that happens then they can contend for a spot out of the Eastern Conference QF..

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Thats not going to be the roster.

Matthews AND Nylander on the wings. Gross

If we draft Matthews and sign Stamkos, it's almost certain both will play on the wing Babcock has basically said he prefers to shelter young centre's on the wing and wasn't ideal for Nylander to play centre. He went on to say that with a healthy roster Nylander will play the wing.

Doesn't mean that will be the long term plan, but for next year don't be surprised if they are eased into those roles.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
If we draft Matthews and sign Stamkos, it's almost certain both will play on the wing Babcock has basically said he prefers to shelter young centre's on the wing and wasn't ideal for Nylander to play centre. He went on to say that with a healthy roster Nylander will play the wing.

Doesn't mean that will be the long term plan, but for next year don't be surprised if they are eased into those roles.

Iirc he said if the line up was healthy he WOULD have started Willie on the wing. He also said that Willie was doing fine at centre facing top compitition.
Time will tell but I'm betting Willie starts at centre next season if all things stay the same.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Iirc he said if the line up was healthy he WOULD have started Willie on the wing. He also said that Willie was doing fine at centre facing top compitition.
Time will tell but I'm betting Willie starts at centre next season if all things stay the same.

Babcock has been saying and doing this since his days in Detriot

i frankly don't get at all how this could bother folks

if we have Nylander and mathews on wing for their rook seasons, thats actually a great great sign,no?

C depth galore , liach goes this TD, Bozak next TD

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Babcock has been saying and doing this since his days in Detriot

i frankly don't get at all how this could bother folks

if we have Nylander and mathews on wing for their rook seasons, thats actually a great great sign,no?

C depth galore , liach goes this TD, Bozak next TD

The thing is if Nylander is now already accustom to playing center in the NHL he's not going to get shifted over to the wing. That makes no sense. Matthews might get put on the wing to start, but not Willy.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I have to agree regarding keeping Nylander at centre. If he was going to get acclimated to the NHL by playing the wing first, it would have had to happen out of the gate. I don't think it would benefit his development to shift him to the wing next season and then back to centre again at some point.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The thing is if Nylander is now already accustom to playing center in the NHL he's not going to get shifted over to the wing. That makes no sense. Matthews might get put on the wing to start, but not Willy.

Just wait and see , i don't think babcock agrees with you

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I have to agree regarding keeping Nylander at centre. If he was going to get acclimated to the NHL by playing the wing first, it would have had to happen out of the gate. I don't think it would benefit his development to shift him to the wing next season and then back to centre again at some point.

babcock had little choice, he never had his 4 Cs when nylander was up and this was when the season was already done

just wait and see ,when babcock puts together next years opening line up, with an eye on a wildcard spot.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
babcock had little choice, he never had his 4 Cs when nylander was up and this was when the season was already done

just wait and see ,when babcock puts together next years opening line up, with an eye on a wildcard spot.

If we dont get Matthews, Nylander will be the teams best center next season. So no point playing him on the wing.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
oh,i think just getting stamkos bumps nylander to the wing next year

well, till the TD and maybe laich is moved

Nylander will never play wing in the NHL.
If we get Matthews, we aren't going to get stamkos.

So you have 4 centers vying for 3 spots. I feel this management wants to trade bozak. Even if bozak stays I still think Nylander has the 2/3 center spot waiting for him.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Nylander will never play wing in the NHL.
If we get Matthews, we aren't going to get stamkos.

So you have 4 centers vying for 3 spots. I feel this management wants to trade bozak. Even if bozak stays I still think Nylander has the 2/3 center spot waiting for him.

listen to the likes of you :biglaugh:

or listen to coach babcock

wowz your making this really really tough on me:sarcasm:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I am sure we will have a crow eating thread next season so here I go.

I doubt they plan to play Nylander on the wing after a successful period as an SHL center followed by a season where he played C in both the AHL and NHL. IF we draft Matthews and sign Stamkos, sure, they might bump him to the wing but they will if so soon figure out Nylander is better at C and Stamkos better as a W then the reversed. So he will eventually end up being a C anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad