Can the Ducks win the Cup with Getzlaf as captain?

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Getzlaf's captaincy has nothing to do with it. The correct poll should be whether ownership and management want to do what it takes to win the Cup. All signs point to no.

What an egregious comment. They made big moves for guys like Kesler and opened their wallets big time for this team, putting them within absolute inches of a cup last season.

Despite the slow start this season (and even though they're 2 points away from home ice in round 1 with 50+ games left and everything trending in the right direction), how can you possibly say that ownership and management don't "want to do what it takes". Not even questioning if they're willing to, but they don't even WANT to?

I for one am thankful for the opportunity ownership and management provided for the fans, absolutely anyone could've won that series and they lost by inches to the greatest dynasty of the modern era.

And to the original thread, to say they can't win a cup with Getzlaf after last year is just plain stupid. They dominated both overtimes by every metric to take a 2 game lead and Chicago got lucky. Say what you want about Chicago being "clutch", but they got severely outplayed in the clutch moments of every overtime in that series. If Anaheim had any luck (or simply wasn't unlucky and got the fate they deserved in any one of those 2 overtimes), there is a high chance they win that series and eventually the cup from a 2-0 or 3-1 lead. Just because they lost doesn't mean you can go back in hindsight and say Getzlaf doesn't have what it takes, management isn't willing to win, all of this and that wasn't good enough. All of this is utterly insane. They gave the best team in the modern era all they could handle and more, and it is by pure misfortune they didn't win.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
What an egregious comment. They made big moves for guys like Kesler and opened their wallets big time for this team, putting them within absolute inches of a cup last season.

Despite the slow start this season (and even though they're 2 points away from home ice in round 1 with 50+ games left and everything trending in the right direction), how can you possibly say that ownership and management don't "want to do what it takes". Not even questioning if they're willing to, but they don't even WANT to?

I for one am thankful for the opportunity ownership and management provided for the fans, absolutely anyone could've won that series and they lost by inches to the greatest dynasty of the modern era.

And to the original thread, to say they can't win a cup with Getzlaf after last year is just plain stupid. They dominated both overtimes by every metric to take a 2 game lead and Chicago got lucky. Say what you want about Chicago being "clutch", but they got severely outplayed in the clutch moments of every overtime in that series. If Anaheim had any luck (or simply wasn't unlucky and got the fate they deserved in any one of those 2 overtimes), there is a high chance they win that series and eventually the cup from a 2-0 or 3-1 lead. Just because they lost doesn't mean you can go back in hindsight and say Getzlaf doesn't have what it takes, management isn't willing to win, all of this and that wasn't good enough. All of this is utterly insane. They gave the best team in the modern era all they could handle and more, and it is by pure misfortune they didn't win.
I'm assuming you're not reading forums regularly, but I'll just summarize my previous thoughts on the topic. No team that is really going all in for it is on a bugdet (this is actually the only proof you need), nor is often dabbling in crapshot signings à la Stewart. Besides that, it can be read between the lines in Samueli's latest interview for the OCR.

Also, quite a revisionist view of the Chicago series. Severy outplayed in clutch moments of every overtime in that series? That's a "bit" pushing it. Better team overall in first 5 games? Certainly. Chicago was however better when they needed to be, especially with the series on the line. Luck had nothing to do with it.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

No person, whether he or she blames Getzlaf or the Samuelis or coaching, no rational person could have watched games 6 and 7 and come to the conclusion it was misfortune that caused those results. Are you kidding me?

salsa man

SALSA
Nov 20, 2013
California
No person, whether he or she blames Getzlaf or the Samuelis or coaching, no rational person could have watched games 6 and 7 and come to the conclusion it was misfortune that caused those results. Are you kidding me?

Exactly. Misfortune is when an own-goal costs you a one goal game, not when you get blown out in a game 7.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Feb 13, 2012
I find it amusing how I simply post a "yes/or" poll question and some of the asumptions posters make. Fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad