Can the Ducks win the Cup with Getzlaf as captain?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He's not clutch, but he doesn't have to be if the rest of the roster is put together properly.

Which it isn't, but that's not the question the poll asks. I don't think Messier would be able to win a cup with this roster.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
yes but he needs to be better along with our second line and lindholm

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Can they or will they? The roster as constructed right now won't win. Getzlaf could easily win a cup as captain if the team he was on was good enough though. Lesser captains have won cups.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Not unless they can win every series in less than 5 games. Neither Getzlaf or Perry have been big game performers post 25/27.

Would certainly help if we had more than 3 top 6 forwards though.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Getz and Perry will be leaders on this team regardless of wearing letters or not. We'll always be in the boat of only going as far as they can take us. I'm not sure the captaincy subject is directly related to winning another Cup.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Getzlaf being captain has nothing to do with if the Ducks can win the Cup it is about the roster and coaching things like that. Have a C on a jersey is overrated. I do believe Ducks can win the Cup with Getzlaf leading them but the roster needs to be better and coaching needs to change.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
Getzlaf's captaincy has nothing to do with it. The correct poll should be whether ownership and management want to do what it takes to win the Cup. All signs point to no.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
He's not clutch, but he doesn't have to be if the rest of the roster is put together properly.

Which it isn't, but that's not the question the poll asks. I don't think Messier would be able to win a cup with this roster.

I'll agree with that, but I also believe Messier could have won a cup with the rosters of the last two years.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Where is Getzlaf's Keith or Doughty? We've lacked an elite #1 dman that a majority of cup rosters have, not an elite #1 center.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Where is Getzlaf's Keith or Doughty? We've lacked an elite #1 dman that a majority of cup rosters have, not an elite #1 center.

Exactly. Every team post lockout except the Hurricanes has had an elite number one defenseman in their lineup. The closest we have to that is Fowler and despite a promising start to the season still has to hit another gear to be in the top tier of the league.

Oct 18, 2011
yes, the "C" is pretty overrated, i don't think it has much to do with who wins and loses the kings won two cups with a ****ing plug for a captain...

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
yes, the "C" is pretty overrated, i don't think it has much to do with who wins and loses the kings won two cups with a ****ing plug for a captain...

We never really have a sense of how it goes in the room, but I agree it's overrated. Just from personal experience, doesn't seem to matter a whole lot unless it's really bad. Getz might be a negative with the refs, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be much wrong with him.

Lyons71

Jun 27, 2003
Fullerton, CA
Visit site
Whatever the excuses are, he has always been outplayed by the other team's top players when the games matter. His disappearing act in big-games is troubling.

Are losses his fault alone? Of course not, but he's gotta do something.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
This team has many flaws but when things get tough you expect your captain and most skilled player to step up, instead he went MIA when it mattered the most two years in a row.
Wearing a "C" might be overrated, but if we cannot expect anything special from our best player we can pack up and start rebuilding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad