Can the Canadian broadcasters low ball the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
As of right now the NHL is in discussions, with the Canadian broadcasters for tv contracts. Can the big three Canadian broadcasters CBC, Bell, Rogers collude together and low blow the NHL by offering the least amount of money. Can they do this? They get together and they just come up with a plan where they pay the NHL least amount of money for rights, in other words they team up. I mean what can the NHL do?

Last edited by a moderator:

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure that is illegal

When you are playing in poker tournament, this happens as well, say 4 players are left and 1 player(poor soul) goes in and the other 3 players call but no one bets or raises, they just check around, hopefully that one of them can beat can the short stack but they just say a word. The same can happen here, where they just don't say anything and they just do it.

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
When you are playing in poker tournament, this happens as well, say 4 players are left and 1 player(poor soul) goes in and the other 3 players call but no one bets or raises, they just check around, hopefully that one of them can beat can the short stack but they just say a word. The same can happen here, where they just don't say anything and they just do it.

That's naive thinking. Of course the NHL will know, and they will be taken to court before they can say the word "Hockey".

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

Ignoring the fact that they might have problems "not saying anything" when they are investigated and subpoenaed by the Canadian Competition Bureau, they would also face the Prisoners Dilemma - while acting in concert might be in the best interest of all, they each risk that one of the other parties might go behind their backs, scoop up the whole thing at a discount, leaving them out in the cold.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
As of right now the NHL is in discussions, with the Canadian broadcasters for tv contracts. Can the big three Canadian broadcasters CBC, Bell, Rogers collude together and low blow the NHL by offering the least amount of money. Can they do this? They get together and they just come up with a plan where they pay the NHL least amount of money for rights, in other words they team up. I mean what can the NHL do?

That would be a violation of the Competition Act (i.e., C-34) now wouldn't it... :snide:

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
This is incredibly obvious collusion, which is incredibly illegal and yeah...

Wouldn't happen, if it did, it wouldn't end well. Simple as that.

Simply not formally talking about it isn't enough to get you off the hook for collusion.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
And if they did collude together, they'll pass all the savings onto the consumer, right?

.... right?

Guys?

He Lied to Mario

May 16, 2009

I think you mean low ball. Low blow is what Bryan Marchment or Ulf Samuelsson used to do. :naughty:

GuelphStormer

Mar 20, 2012
Guelph, ON
why is this collusion?

the competition bureau is charged with protecting consumer interests, not those of a private, albeit not-for-profit corporation (ie., the nhl). there is no more or less direct "public interest" in how much these networks are willing to pay for content than there would be in how much CTV or CBC would be willing to pay for broadcast rights of any random television program like ncis or the kardashians.

i would think the more problematic aspect would be the fact that the networks are also themselves owners (ie., they are the nhl). ... and that would create huge infighting among all 30 owners.

it is interesting how a non-trivial number of teams are owned (wholly or partially) by media companies. and there might indeed be some opportunity for some sort of concerted effort that would benefit them more as media companies than as nhl franchise owners. or, would folks here think that sort of aggressive strategic missive would be too dangerous and/or not worth it?

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Bell didn't low ball the CFL. And Bell (TSN) was the only bidder capable of televising all games in HD, they had no competition.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Just because something happens in some random poker game does not mean that it happens in the real world.

In the real world it is called collusion and it is illegal.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ya, I think as everyones aware, even the hint or intimation of bid rigging, collusion, absolutely illegal. End of discussion, thread closed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad