Speculation: Can teams trade retained salary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
I know the NHL won't allow "buying" of players (the Gretzky rule). But what about trading retained salary?

Teams trade "bad" contracts by offering valuable assets (picks/players) just to get out from under them, why not allow the same thing with buyouts/retain salary?

Say LA which retained salary on Provorov ($2,025,000 for 2023-2025) trades the retained salary with a draft pick or player. Would(should) the NHL allow this? It's not a player LA controls in anyway whatsoever.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
I’ve always wanted cap space to be tradeable. Teams in the basement with significant cap could trade that cap space for picks. There would be a formula like offer sheet compensation (i.e. x millions = first round pick, etc). It’ll help rebuilding and smaller market teams become more competitive while also allowing win now teams to be bigger spenders.

Reactions: WaitingForThatCab

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Then, what's the point of Salary Cap?

The point of the salary cap is cost certainty for the owners.

Honestly I never really understood why the NHL never let teams trade cap space or retained salary. Not that I'm screaming for that rule to be implemented, but I've never viewed the idea as that bad.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I know the NHL won't allow "buying" of players (the Gretzky rule). But what about trading retained salary?

Teams trade "bad" contracts by offering valuable assets (picks/players) just to get out from under them, why not allow the same thing with buyouts/retain salary?

Say LA which retained salary on Provorov ($2,025,000 for 2023-2025) trades the retained salary with a draft pick or player. Would(should) the NHL allow this? It's not a player LA controls in anyway whatsoever.

Teams can only trade:

- Contracts
- Draft Picks
- NHL rights to a player on their Reserve List

Retained salary and any other dead cap hits such as buyouts and performance bonuses overages are non of the above, thus untradable.

Reactions: uncleben

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I’ve always wanted cap space to be tradeable. Teams in the basement with significant cap could trade that cap space for picks. There would be a formula like offer sheet compensation (i.e. x millions = first round pick, etc). It’ll help rebuilding and smaller market teams become more competitive while also allowing win now teams to be bigger spenders.

The primary function of the salary cap is to keep collective league spending to a total amount limiting Escrow. If you increase the % of total cap space that is spent every year by allowing the trading of cap space then that needs to be offset by lowering the salary cap ceiling to keep the total league-wide player spending the same.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

No they can’t
Making cap space tradable creates anticompetitive practice

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

nope

nope

nadda

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Teams can only trade:

- Contracts
- Draft Picks
- NHL rights to a player on their Reserve List

Retained salary and any other dead cap hits such as buyouts and performance bonuses overages are non of the above, thus untradable.
Future considerations says what about me …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad