Can someone tell me WHY Carlylye changed the lines?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
So we start the year terrible, and Randy finally shakes up the lines. Spreads out the offense, puts guys in new roles, etc. We start winning, and look good.

Then, WHILE we are winning, he changes the lines back to the old ones which sucked at the start. So what happens, we start sucking!

Why can't he keep a winning lineup? Why does he need a pure shutdown line and a pure offense line? Why can't he have 4 balanced lines? We have more than enough talent.

This guy is the leafs biggest problem IMO.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
It's not like he doesn't change them back. To say he's the biggest problem is truly understating the severity of the issues we have IMO.

Myke

Jun 9, 2006
Toronto/Ottawa
www.myke.org
I think I remember us struggling at the beginning of a game and he reverted back and just kept them... I think. Cant remember if we wound up winning but my guess would be that we did.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
The change to go back to the original top line came after a loss fyi.

But ya I agree. I liked to new look lines at the start of the season.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
So we start the year terrible, and Randy finally shakes up the lines. Spreads out the offense, puts guys in new roles, etc. We start winning, and look good.

Then, WHILE we are winning, he changes the lines back to the old ones which sucked at the start. So what happens, we start sucking!

Why can't he keep a winning lineup? Why does he need a pure shutdown line and a pure offense line? Why can't he have 4 balanced lines? We have more than enough talent.

I commented that in another thread.

Carlyle cannot deal with change and that was a huge issue in Anaheim when things started to go south. He reverted to older players and used the same lines which weren't working anymore

They broke up the Kessel line and it worked. Keep it that way.

Kessel - Kadri - Winnik
Santa - Bozak - JVR
Komorov - Holland - Clarkson
Panik- Smith - Leivo

Hell I would move Bozak down to the 3rd hole and give Holland a shot.

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
The change to go back to the original top line came after a loss fyi.

But ya I agree. I liked to new look lines at the start of the season.

Not true, they were changed after a bad 1st period against Arizona, and have been the old lines ever since (we lost that game). Typical Carlyle, lines work for 3 games (wins) and one period is enough to bring it back to the same lines that have failed over an entire season +.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

I have wondered this for 2 years now. He changes lines for 5mins and if they work he still changes back.

No answers. Maybe he plays favorites or something. He wasn't a big Gunner Grabo Kules CMac fan and they all started getting shuffled. The it was Kadri, he takes all the fluff wingers and is expected to produce.

Randy destroys asset value before we trade anyone. He is literally dangerous to any franchise that has a GM who will listen to his roster demands.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Yes? Or we wouldn't have this thread :help: If you have nothing productive to add, then the doors that way.

Here's a productive answer. Lupul got hurt, then Winnik got hurt so Carlyle put JVR Bozak and Kessel back together. We strung together 3 straight wins including the top line playing great against Boston. That's why he changed the lines. Will Kadri Winnik and Kessel playing together again make a huge difference? I doubt it very much.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So it makes more sense to have 3 on one line and 1 on the other?

A good team employs 6 quality top 6 forwards under cap. The trick is to balance the 3 lines and have the 4th be responsibe.

An example of proper line balancing using leaf players.

Komarov Kadri Kessel -this makes sense 2x skill 1x defensive though not by any means slow player who can indeed pass.

JVR Bozak Santorelli -Santa is your Komarov and Bozak and JVR are the drivers. Bozak to me is debate able but such is our roster.

Lupul Holland Winnik -working with what we have this what it would be. In reality on a good team it would be Lupul Grabovski Winnik with Winnik as your defensive work ethic guy.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
It's like...the same thing he does every year has led to multiple collapses. Weird.

He has nothing to lose now by changing up the lines. Just put some names in a toaster, see which names pop out and form your lines from them, Randy.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
It's like...the same thing he does every year has led to multiple collapses. Weird.

He has nothing to lose now by changing up the lines. Just put some names in a toaster, see which names pop out and form your lines from them, Randy.

except he can't use a toaster to save his life

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad