Can Ovechkin hit 50 goals in 50 games?

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
cfimg6605370217354303368-300x199.jpg

“ I think he has the capabilities of doing it,†Oates said, “ with the guys he plays with and the minutes and the PP [goals], yeah.â€

“Of course it would be nice to score that [many] goals in that [many] games,†the Capitals superstar said. “It’s really hard and it’s almost impossible to do it right now because the level of hockey is so high. You almost have to score every game or two a game to do that.â€

Full Story

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Get your facts straight, noobs!

“He’s shooting the puck the best I’I’ve ever seen him shoot since we’ve been here,” Greene said. “ It’s amazing how many shots he gets a game. With the accuracy and poise he has with his shots, it’s incredible how he picks those corners and you have to admire that.”

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
He won't get 50 in 50, but if he stays healthy, I think he goes for 60+ again, which would be a pretty ridiculous achievement in this era. Here's hoping the Swedes start to shoot more to put him in the Art Ross race.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Can't see him not getting the Hart again, he's been more valuable this year than last.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
I don't think that he'll get 50 in 50 this season alone, but he might get 50 in his last 50 at some point extending into last season.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can he? Really.

It would seem Opie cares more about hits

Can he get 500 hits in one link season?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
will he? no. can he? sure. Another game like that last one might change that. it will be interesting to watch. I mean....he doesn't play in the worst division in hockey. right? southeast lives on. ov scoring 50 in 50 would start a great debate that only because of the crappy schedule he plays and that he's not that good.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Can't see him not getting the Hart again, he's been more valuable this year than last.

If Crosby win the Art Ross, he's winning the Hart. The voters are going to take into account last year and think they sort of owe him one on the next close call.

Ovechkin would need 70 to prevent it.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
If Crosby win the Art Ross, he's winning the Hart. The voters are going to take into account last year and think they sort of owe him one on the next close call.

Ovechkin would need 70 to prevent it.

Agreed. His ill suited linemates make it impossible for him to win the Art Ross. Which is incredibly annoying. If he had linemates who could shoot/retrieve the puck and dmen who could score he'd be able to match his career assist numbers and have a chance at putting up one of the best seasons of all time. But he's alone out there.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Even if he doesn't, 48 in his last 50 is an absurd pace in this NHL and no other player has even come close to that - not even Stamkos.

During this span goals per game league wide are approximately 5.3. When everyone else did it (Gretzky, Richard, Bossy, Neeley, Mogilny, Hull, Lemieux, Kurri) goals per game were between 6.9 and 7.3. That's a 35% difference!

The fact is, 48g in 50 games in 2013 is the equivalent of 65 goals in 50 games back in 1993.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
“Of course it would be nice to score that [many] goals in that [many] games,†the Capitals superstar said. “It’s really hard and it’s almost impossible to do it right now because the level of hockey is so high. You almost have to score every game or two a game to do that.â€

He seems to be good at math - 50 in 50 - "you have to score every game or two to do that." LOL

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
As the article notes, he could also do 50 in 50 played this season. I frankly think anything is possible if Ovie continues playing as he has been.

Totally agree with those who say better line mates could have him contending for the Ross. Such poor personnel management.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He seems to be good at math - 50 in 50 - "you have to score every game or two to do that." LOL

so...you first thought is that you have to score in almost every game of 50 to get 50 goals? that's dumb. particularly when he scored 4 in the last game. you can certainly make 50 in 50 by scoring a goal in 3 games out of 5 when you are prone to multi goal games.

quick...how many goalless games for ov this season? 11....oh and in his last 10 games he has a goal in 5 of them

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed. His ill suited linemates make it impossible for him to win the Art Ross. Which is incredibly annoying. If he had linemates who could shoot/retrieve the puck and dmen who could score he'd be able to match his career assist numbers and have a chance at putting up one of the best seasons of all time. But he's alone out there.

this is great. ovechkin is on a historic run. its a good reason to focus on the negative.

KevinM

Feb 7, 2012
D.C.
Out of respect to Ovi we should trade him to Chicago for Kane and a 1st so he can realize his potential and win all the cups.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the ride. Too many excuses to focus on the negative with this flawed team, this isn't one of em.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
He needs 3 goals in his next game, 4 goals in his next two, 5 in his next three, 7 in his next four, or 8 in his next five to get 50 in his last 50 in the short term.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He has one assist at even strength. It's a sad waste of the best player of his generation.

i know, man. you are just trying to keep it real. rather get excited over the something special that is going on we need to focus on all the stuff that's not. they suck. backstrom sucks too. Johansson sucks even more and lets not talk about the defense.

is that better?

n3ss

Nov 29, 2011
I think he'll come pretty close. I'm just happy to see him lighting it up again. That doesn't change the fact that he's the best goal scorer this league has seen in sometime, and will likely finish top 10 especially if his ****ing line mates could put the puck in the net.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
so...you first thought is that you have to score in almost every game of 50 to get 50 goals? that's dumb. particularly when he scored 4 in the last game. you can certainly make 50 in 50 by scoring a goal in 3 games out of 5 when you are prone to multi goal games.

quick...how many goalless games for ov this season? 11....oh and in his last 10 games he has a goal in 5 of them

Dude, seriously, lighten up. JOKE!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad