Can Nichushkin put up Benn and Seguin numbers?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I'll be surprised if he's ever ppg.

Playing the odds eh?

10 out of 809 players who have played in the NHL this season are PPG. Just over 1.2% of the league. LOL.

Tavares, Ovechkin, Datsyuk all less than PPG. So, in response to OP question, not Sequin numbers but Benn numbers? :D My guess he'll be okay not being a PPG player. ;)

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Before this season, Nichushkin would consistently beat Tarasenko in every poll, but has yet to prove much of anything at the NHL level yet.

Nichushkin may or may not put up great numbers, but let's pump the breaks on the overhype for this kid.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Before this season, Nichushkin would consistently beat Tarasenko in every poll, but has yet to prove much of anything at the NHL level yet.

Let's do a statistical comparison shall we?

NHL Games Played at 19: Taransenko 0 Nichushkin 83
NHL Goals Scored at 19: Tarasenko 0 Nichushkin 13
NHL Points Scored at 19: Tarasenko 0 Nichushkin 34

Hmmm. At the same point Tarasenko had proven **** all at the NHL level too. In fact Nichushkin is KILLING Tarasenko at the same point in their careers.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Playing the odds eh?

10 out of 809 players who have played in the NHL this season are PPG. Just over 1.2% of the league. LOL.

Tavares, Ovechkin, Datsyuk all less than PPG. So, in response to OP question, not Sequin numbers but Benn numbers? :D My guess he'll be okay not being a PPG player. ;)

Hmmm. At the same point Tarasenko had proven **** all at the NHL level too. In fact Nichushkin is KILLING Tarasenko at the same point in their careers.

I'm confused, you said you don't think Nichushkin will be a PPG. Yet, that's exactly what Tarasenko is this year. Is he not? Are you saying despite the fact that "Nichuskin is KILLING Tarasenko at the same point in their careers" that Tarasenko is and will always be better then Nich (since you don't see nich as a ppg)?

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Lets do a statistical comparison shall we?

Speaking of statistical comparisons, let's do another.

Nich in the KHL at 16 : 18 games played, 2 goals, 6 points (0.33 PPG)
Tarasenko in the KHL at 16 : 42 games played, 13 goals, 24 points (0.57 PPG)

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
I'm confused, you said you don't think Nichushkin will be a PPG. Yet, that's exactly what Tarasenko is this year. Is he not? Are you saying despite the fact that "Nichuskin is KILLING Tarasenko at the same point in their careers" that Tarasenko is and will always be better then Nich (since you don't see nich as a ppg)?

I am just poking fun at both commenters, neither is my opinion.

I was saying that if Nichushkin isn't a PPG player that doesn't mean he won't be an elite player.

And neither am I saying that Tarasenko is better or Nichushkin is better. I am just pointing out the ridiculousness of saying that Nichushkin has 'done nothing' in his career in the NHL compared to Tarasenko, when clearly he's just starting out his career. (Tarasenko wasn't even in the NHL until he was 21).

I can't predict the future so I have no idea how any of these players will end up at the end of the day. But I do know that it is premature to make blanket statements like the ones I was making fun of.

EDIT: Here is a fun thing:

FACT: As 18 year olds, Nichushkin was the better NHL player of the two.
FACT: As 19 year olds, Nichushkin is a better NHL player than Tarasenko was.
PREDICTION: That as 20 year olds, Nichushkin will probably play more games, score more goals and points than Tarasenko did!
Another probable FACT: That by the time you compare both players as 21 year old NHL'ers, Nichushkin will be a 3 year veteran compared to Tarasenko - and that if you compare numbers after Nichushkins 21 year old season he will have scored more goals and points than an identically aged Tarasenko did (because he has ALREADY done so!)

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica

Yes. This proves that at 16 Tarasenko was probably a better player or in a better situation.

As they say, past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.

I am also not saying Nichushkin is or will be better than Tarasenko. I could only guess (an educated one, but still a guess)

I do know that Tarasenko is awesome and his performance this season verges on elite. And I do know that Nichushkin had a fantastic season for an 18 year playing in a foreign country.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014

I was saying that if Nichushkin isn't a PPG player that doesn't mean he won't be an elite player.

And neither am I saying that Tarasenko is better or Nichushkin is better. I am just pointing out the ridiculousness of saying that Nichushkin has 'done nothing' in his career in the NHL compared to Tarasenko, when clearly he's just starting out his career. (Tarasenko wasn't even in the NHL until he was 21).

I can't predict the future so I have no idea how any of these players will end up at the end of the day. But I do know that it is premature to make blanket statements like the ones I was making fun of.

Yes. This proves that at 16 Tarasenko was probably a better player or in a better situation.

As they say, past performance is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.

I am also not saying Nichushkin is or will be better than Tarasenko. I could only guess (an educated one, but still a guess)

I do know that Tarasenko is awesome and his performance this season verges on elite. And I do know that Nichushkin had a fantastic season for an 18 year playing in a foreign country.

Ah- alright I see where your coming from now. At first glance I was under the impression you had a serious bias towards Nich. Seems like you have a good head on your shoulders, I apologize for the disruption carry on with making fun of the other blanket statements on the boards! :cheers:

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014

PREDICTION: That as 20 year olds, Nichushkin will probably play more games, score more goals and points than Tarasenko did!
Another probable FACT: That by the time you compare both players as 21 year old NHL'ers, Nichushkin will be a 3 year veteran compared to Tarasenko - and that if you compare numbers after Nichushkins 21 year old season he will have scored more goals and points than an identically aged Tarasenko did (because he has ALREADY done so!)

You must be fun at parties

Primetimey*

Will Nichushkin see any AHL time? I think it's going to be very good for him.

He played some AHL conditioning games earlier this year. If he is ready to come back this season he will probably play 1-4 AHL games. If he isn't ready this year then probably not.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Will Nichushkin see any AHL time? I think it's going to be very good for him.

At most it would be for conditioning but since he's likely out for the rest of the season there'd be no need for it. Going down to be an AHL player for longer than a couple games, no not going to happen.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

That's completely false....

His 24 point season started at 17 and was spent mostly as an 18 years old (and was followed up by a worse season)

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Seems like you have a good head on your shoulders, I apologize for the disruption carry on with making fun of the other blanket statements on the boards! :cheers:

Haha. Just old and cranky.

No apology needed. I agree 100% with you that Nichushkin is way better than Tarasenko ;)

BacklundtoBartschi*

You forgot the point that development isn't linear.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
You forgot the point that development isn't linear.

Thanks. Old, cranky and I suck. ;)

But this is a true point.

Tarasenko looked fantastic in moments and brutal for long stretches when he first came into the NHL. Then he blossomed according to his previously percieved potential.

And there are a lot of players who achieve at levels far higher than their percieved potential. Jamie Benn for example. Even if that perception is already high, players can surpass it (John Tavares for example).

Its all good chatter regardless. Nichushkin is one of those players who can be polarizing and therefore makes for fun differences of opinion

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Nuke is a lot better defensively than I thought he would be when he was drafted. Having said that I don't think he will become a annual ppg player like Benn or Seguin. Its odd to see a player with the reputation of a sniper struggle to get elevation on his shot, but hopefully that comes with time. Really fun player to watch when healthy.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010

When will Nichushkin reach Tarasenko's level?

I'll hang up and listen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad