Can Logan Couture be a legit #1C?

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Nope... he's hit his peak of about 60-65 points. I can;t seem him being taken seriously as a #1C.

The definition of 1C change a lot from people to people, but everyone would say I think that if a player would be the best center on most team (16+) in the nhl he would be without a doubt a 1C.

Number of center to hit 65 pts during the season (according to nhl.com classing them as center)

2013-2014: 15
2014-2015: 16
2015-2016: 10
2016-2017: 14

65 points is not that common now a day (much less center hitting that level in a season that there is nhl team out there, in fact most team does not have any center doing that most season), and a 1C if he bring someone else can certainly be a 60-65pts player imo.

Many arguably or clear number one center did that type of offensive season last year: Tavares did 66 last year, Giroux 58, Koivu 58, Toews 58, Bergeron 53, Kopitar 52

Last edited:

Mubiki

Jan 10, 2013
If his defense and faceoffs are there, then I say yes.

Too many people are still stuck on the idea that a 1c needs to score 80+ points. That just doesn't happen very often anymore.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Then I guess Toews isn't one, either....

Toews' 82 game pro-rated point pace in his cup winning seasons were 73, 83, and 67.

Toews' offense has regressed in the past 2 years, but let's be clear; Logan Couture is NOT the same caliber of player as Cup winning Toews was.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
IMHO, what he is now is basically what you're going to get out of him, barring any one year spikes in production. Can he play first line minutes, sure. You can call a first line center then. But is he an elite centerman that's going to carry the team night after night playing against 1st pairing defensement? No.

And it's not just skill wise, mentally too. Guy can't even take getting beat on the face off without crying about it to the media. Whether he had a point or not didn't matter. It showed the other team that they had gotten to him. As soon as I heard him say that, I knew they were done like dinner.

Ideally, he slots in at the second line position.

To be fair, there wasn't really anything wrong with his comments. Saying things like that does cause the referees to change their behavior even if it is a subconscious decision. It's the same reason fans chant "refs you suck!". Makeup calls tend to follow. In addition, he outscored Crosby in that series, so I don't really think that's on him.

Plus, you don't exactly paint yourself as a prophet, since quite literally everybody knew the Sharks were "done like dinner" after the first 20 minutes of game 1 where the Pens completely dominated them in possession.

Mods please merge my posts. I hit submit reply by mistake; I meant to merge the posts together after I finished typing this one. Thank you.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Logan has a great toolbox but is lacking some tools. He is just physically not the most imposing player so he will always lack that ability to impose his will.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Of course. But that's implying that he's not one already. He's a really good player. Anyone whose team is in the Pacific knows this.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
IMO he is in the 25-30 range for centers. That would make him a 1C in my book, but on the low end. He has been playing a 2C role the last couple years, which is obviously excels at. Probably the 2nd best player in the 2C position in the NHL (Malkin being first).

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
IMO he is in the 25-30 range for centers. That would make him a 1C in my book, but on the low end. He has been playing a 2C role the last couple years, which is obviously excels at. Probably the 2nd best player in the 2C position in the NHL (Malkin being first).

Kuznetsov? Johnson? MacKinnon?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Yeah, I've always seen Couture in that sort of second tier with the guys you mentioned, as well as a guy like Jeff Carter. Can be 1C, but are perfect behind an elite 1C.

Was gonna make the Carter comparison myself. I think this is a good description. Ideally someone is in front of them, but can do fine on their own--even if the opposing 1C is 'better,' they're defensively saavy enough to hold their own.

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
Kuznetsov? Johnson? MacKinnon?

An argument can be made that any are better than Couture, especially Kuznetsov. Their stats are somewhat comparable, taking into account the different teams they play for. Why I put Couture ahead is he has a higher ratio of goals to points, and I think he is a little better defensively. That said, I think Couture has pretty much peaked and Kuz can still improve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad