Can I have explanation as to why Grabovski has not been put on the wing?

Ace88*

That's nice dude, but you actually said wingers have more positional structure and that simply isn't true, centers have WAY more responsibilities in the game, far more complex position.

This is true, but centres have the freedom to rove around all areas of the ice. Wingers DO have more positional play required of them, like manning the points and boards in the defensive zone and corner work in the offensive zone. if youve played hockey as a winger youd know that your are way out of position in the middle of the ice or the other side of the ice. Wingers support the roving centre, so they need to be able to stick to their position.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Claims of Grabovski's "lack of vision" have been wildly exaggerated, and have only really surfaced this year as a response to his down year.

I'm been saying Grabovski stupid since he got here. He plays novice-style hockey. A lot of people say peewee, but I coach peewee, and the guys who play like Grabovski do it because they are dumb... Even as pre-teens.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Well THAT'S hyperbole.

Claims of Grabovski's "lack of vision" have been wildly exaggerated, and have only really surfaced this year as a response to his down year.

As for Grabo being prone to open ice hits, I don't recall this in the slightest. The only moment I can recall is Neil's quasi-elbow on him during last year's pre-season. In fact, Grabo is one of the more elusive skaters on the Leafs.

Puck-pursuit implies that his line doesn't have the puck. Over time it has been proven that Grabo's lines have excellent possession statistics, as long as he has decent linemates. In fact, last I checked, he's one of the only players on the team (Kulemin, McClement) who have a positive zone finish/zone start ratio, meaning that they finish more of their shifts in the offensive zone than they start.

I see no reason to push Grabo to wing when we have two excellent puck retrievers in Kulemin and JVR flanking him. Grabo's second-best asset, his shot, would be best used in the slot.

You can quote all of the fancy stats you want, but have you checked Grabovski's points and +/-??? That's all you need to know.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I'm still waiting for an explanation why Kostus is in over Gardiner the last couple weeks. I get it, Gardiner has been bad the odd game he's been in for since the concussion, but Liles and Kostus have been better? Hardly.

But yeah, to say I want Grabo gone this offseason by hook or by crook is an understatement

I'm been saying Grabovski stupid since he got here. He plays novice-style hockey. A lot of people say peewee, but I coach peewee, and the guys who play like Grabovski do it because they are dumb... Even as pre-teens.

Haha, awesome and true :clap: He's just like Berezin. He makes incredibly dumb decisions in both ends

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
In a weird way it's better that Grabovski be an abject failure and get bought out this year or in 2014 than be a moderately productive Jussi Jokinen level winger because having the chance to just get rid of that ugly contract is decisively taken care of as opposed to him lurking around for a fee years and just sucking up good cap space while being so so.

Grabovski has always showed good speed, good hands, an inconsistent finishing ability but always tunnel vision. When he's hustling he looks like a world beater when he scores, and an be inspiring as a mini Killer. Problem is he's just as prone to forcing things when they're not there, or else just *****ing plays he makes too complicated than he ought to because he's too dumb to exploit situations.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
This is true, but centres have the freedom to rove around all areas of the ice. Wingers DO have more positional play required of them, like manning the points and boards in the defensive zone and corner work in the offensive zone. if youve played hockey as a winger youd know that your are way out of position in the middle of the ice or the other side of the ice. Wingers support the roving centre, so they need to be able to stick to their position.

Yes, the winger's job is simpler and has responsibility for a smaller amount of ice coverage.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I would try this why not it can't hurt. Thought I saw him on wing the other night but he seemed to play C after 10 seconds, old habits lol?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad