Can I have explanation as to why Grabovski has not been put on the wing?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This may be tried one day, but it won't be with us. I can't see any way he stays on this team when Bozak and Kadri have won top 6 C positions on the team, and Mcclement has effectively also won the 3rd C spot and is one of our most valuable players the year. 5.5 for a 4th line Center? Not likely, winger? Not the time to experiment with the playoffs around the corner.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
A) Doesn't possess the physical tools to do puck retrieval in the corners.
B) His speed is best employed through the middle of the neutral zone.

Good points, and this is a good question. I've considered it too as I think McClement will centre the third/checking line

I'd hate to lose Grabo as I think this is just an off year but the club can't afford him AND Bozak going forward, and I think Bozak is more versatile. I think Grabo will be an amnesty buy-out this summer.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
You've never heard of the importance of speed through the center of the ice? It's been a staple of the Red Wings (and by proxy McLellan's Sharks) for many years.

Yea, but wouldn't you rather someone with speed AND vision streaking through center ice so the end result isn't a turnover 9/10 times? Grabovski also seems extremely prone to open ice hits through the neutral zone. I think his puck-pursuit style of play could be better suited for the wing.

SteveV*

Grabovski is a puck-chaser. There's no thought in his game, just go go go.

That's nice dude, but you actually said wingers have more positional structure and that simply isn't true, centers have WAY more responsibilities in the game, far more complex position.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Don't think it would make a difference. He'll still go end-to-end and either fall, get smoked, take a shot into the dmans shinpads or over the net, or make a really bad pass and ruin a cycle.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That's nice dude, but you actually said wingers have more positional structure and that simply isn't true, centers have WAY more responsibilities in the game, far more complex position.

There's a difference between more responsibility and more positional.

As a center, Grabovski can just chase the puck. As a winger, he would have to play smarter and more positional hockey. He can't do that.

Grabovski cannot play positional hockey. As a center, he can make up for that with his great puck-chasing. As a winger, he can't make up for it.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Yea, but wouldn't you rather someone with speed AND vision streaking through center ice so the end result isn't a turnover 9/10 times? Grabovski also seems extremely prone to open ice hits through the neutral zone. I think his puck-pursuit style of play could be better suited for the wing.

Well THAT'S hyperbole.

Claims of Grabovski's "lack of vision" have been wildly exaggerated, and have only really surfaced this year as a response to his down year.

As for Grabo being prone to open ice hits, I don't recall this in the slightest. The only moment I can recall is Neil's quasi-elbow on him during last year's pre-season. In fact, Grabo is one of the more elusive skaters on the Leafs.

Puck-pursuit implies that his line doesn't have the puck. Over time it has been proven that Grabo's lines have excellent possession statistics, as long as he has decent linemates. In fact, last I checked, he's one of the only players on the team (Kulemin, McClement) who have a positive zone finish/zone start ratio, meaning that they finish more of their shifts in the offensive zone than they start.

I see no reason to push Grabo to wing when we have two excellent puck retrievers in Kulemin and JVR flanking him. Grabo's second-best asset, his shot, would be best used in the slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad