Can Dave Cameron **** off already? (Also Gulutzan)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Guy is useless, I don't care about being the 10th best PP last year statistically or that Mony scored 4 PPG in the playoffs, the powerplay is and has always been absolutely horrendous with this monkey in charge. Most of the times when we score on the PP it's just cause we get a lucky bounce that hops to one of our guys, it's never because we actually move the puck or have solid zone entries.

It's the same crap every PP, bar some amazing luck we usually lose the face off so it's cleared right away and it takes 3-4 attempts to enter the zone because of the stupid bounce back, then when we get entry we lose the puck battle and it's out. And God forbid we actually win the face off or have a successful entry and set up it's the same thing, back to Brodie on the point and his only 2 options are shoot with 9 people in front of him or pass to Gaudreau or Versteeg because Mony and Brouwer in front don't move.

What the **** is Cameron thinking? They just won't let Monahan move from the slot, it's so useless having him out there when all 4 opposing players are covering him because he is our only real threat.

And before people bitch about Mony not moving, you know God damn well that the coaches are telling him where to go, same for the rest of the PP, the coaches set it up and the players are supposed to follow it. Except the set up is ****ing stupid and doesn't work and it's been 90+ games now and there has been no adaptation and it looks God awful just like it did last year.

Dougie Hamilton isn't on the first PP unit, **** you coaches.
Tkachuk isn't on the first pp unit, **** you coaches.

A 5 man powerplay unit and 1 guy has a legitimate shot (Monahan) and he can never use it because they can never get him the puck because they just stick him in between all 4 penalty killers, which would be fine if they could move the puck to open it up, but you can't move it because of the awful set up.

Long rant I know, but this isn't just because of the loss tonight, I have hated our special teams ever since Gulutzan took over. Don't even get me started on the PK which is just as stupid, "ok give them the blue line, don't challenge them at all and just let them set up, then when they set up NEVER challenge them". LIKE f*** MAN.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Lol we're in the top half in both PP% (13th) and PK% (10th).

We were top 5 in both categories in the 2nd half of last season as well. I think we're good

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I feel pretty similarly about the coaching but if it's stupid and it works, I'm not going to want to see it changed when results are the only thing that matters.

I think the PP is dreadful and predictable and that GG's offensive system basically boils down to "wait for Johnny to do Johnny things" but it's worked so I'm not worried.

If the Flames are falling out of the race in December then it's time to get the knives out.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I haven't watched enough Flames hockey yet this year because I live in Ontario - only snippets here and there. But if the PP is anything like last year, it was pull-your-hair-out frustrating at times. I'm surprised we had as high a ranking as we did.

And I do get the TS' frustration. Bottom line is it would be nice to have a team that we could dependably set up in the zone, and then maintain puck control setting up multiple chances on a PP. Consistently.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
The PK especially needs to be improved. PPs usually run hot and cold during the year, but my god why is Brouwer still getting time on it. A good penalty kill forces the other team's powerplay into making mistakes and risky passes. The Flames so far just get into their box and try to block shots and cross ice passes by laying on their face. Not enough pressure in either the neutral zone or d zone means you're not going to get all that many clears.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
My biggest issue with the PP is them continuing to have Versteeg in a position where he is bringing the puck out of the zone. He is terrible at it. I don't mind him on the point in the offensive zone but they need a system where he just stands at the opposition blue line and waits for the others to bring the puck up the ice because he flat out cannot do that role.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I am pretty sure Dave Cameron doesn't need to **** off, he is married
My biggest issue with the PP is them continuing to have Versteeg in a position where he is bringing the puck out of the zone. He is terrible at it. I don't mind him on the point in the offensive zone but they need a system where he just stands at the opposition blue line and waits for the others to bring the puck up the ice because he flat out cannot do that role.

Neither can Monahan or Brouwer though, which is the primary issue. Brodie and Gaudreau are our only true puck carriers on PP unit 1.

Swapping Monahan and Backlund on PP1 would work wonders but that's tantamount to blasphemy because Monahan scores teh goalz by standing in the slot (even though Backlund also scores teh goalz by standing in the slot while doing everything else).

Personally I would have power play units of

Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Backlund-Jankowski
Hamilton

Jagr
Monahan-Bennett
Brodie-Giordano

Last edited:

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada

My biggest issue with the power play is they pass the puck too much and don't shoot it enough.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I am pretty sure Dave Cameron doesn't need to **** off, he is married

Neither can Monahan or Brouwer though, which is the primary issue. Brodie and Gaudreau are our only true puck carriers on PP unit 1.

Swapping Monahan and Backlund on PP1 would work wonders but that's tantamount to blasphemy because Monahan scores teh goalz by standing in the slot (even though Backlund also scores teh goalz by standing in the slot while doing everything else).

Personally I would have power play units of

Tkachuk
Gaudreau-Backlund-Jankowski
Hamilton

Jagr
Monahan-Bennett
Brodie-Giordano

How does that help as Backlund is much worse at carrying the puck than Monahan and has no where near the offensive skills either?

Plus putting Jankowski on the top PP unit when he has shown zero ?

Why would we try to make our top PP unit worse on purpose?

Pekkas Purse

Feb 2, 2010
Guy is useless, I don't care about being the 10th best PP last year statistically or that Mony scored 4 PPG in the playoffs, the powerplay is and has always been absolutely horrendous with this monkey in charge. Most of the times when we score on the PP it's just cause we get a lucky bounce that hops to one of our guys, it's never because we actually move the puck or have solid zone entries.

It's the same crap every PP, bar some amazing luck we usually lose the face off so it's cleared right away and it takes 3-4 attempts to enter the zone because of the stupid bounce back, then when we get entry we lose the puck battle and it's out. And God forbid we actually win the face off or have a successful entry and set up it's the same thing, back to Brodie on the point and his only 2 options are shoot with 9 people in front of him or pass to Gaudreau or Versteeg because Mony and Brouwer in front don't move.

What the **** is Cameron thinking? They just won't let Monahan move from the slot, it's so useless having him out there when all 4 opposing players are covering him because he is our only real threat.

And before people ***** about Mony not moving, you know God damn well that the coaches are telling him where to go, same for the rest of the PP, the coaches set it up and the players are supposed to follow it. Except the set up is ****ing stupid and doesn't work and it's been 90+ games now and there has been no adaptation and it looks God awful just like it did last year.

Dougie Hamilton isn't on the first PP unit, **** you coaches.
Tkachuk isn't on the first pp unit, **** you coaches.

A 5 man powerplay unit and 1 guy has a legitimate shot (Monahan) and he can never use it because they can never get him the puck because they just stick him in between all 4 penalty killers, which would be fine if they could move the puck to open it up, but you can't move it because of the awful set up.

Long rant I know, but this isn't just because of the loss tonight, I have hated our special teams ever since Gulutzan took over. Don't even get me started on the PK which is just as stupid, "ok give them the blue line, don't challenge them at all and just let them set up, then when they set up NEVER challenge them". LIKE **** MAN.

There is no structure, its 5 guys passing the puck with no movement through the middle. The is basic Bantam and Midget AA coaching and we do not have that. This post while inflamed is spot on.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I didn't watch the game last night, thankfully, but I do agree with OP. Cameron's PP isn't great, and I am a little confused as to why the Flames' two best shot generators on the backend (Gio and Hamilton) are on the 2nd unit. I will say that Brodie has improved over time, however, and Versteeg does have very good QB instincts. The Flames have a decent PP in terms of results, but I think to some degree that's in spite of the coaching, and more due to the personnel on it (Brouwer excepted).

How does that help as Backlund is much worse at carrying the puck than Monahan and has no where near the offensive skills either?
Well, you're half right. Backlund is not worse at carrying the puck than Monahan.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
For those that defend Brouwer saying he can at least PK. When Brouwer is on the ice on PK, Flames allow significantly more shots than when he's not on the PK. Yes PK as a whole is very small sample size, but when you combine this negative small sample size to his dreadful 5on5 large sample size, yeah he's just flat out terrible.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Brouwer was very good on the PK last night. On the 5 on 3, he was the main forward they used and they did a good job at killing it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There’s a theory that to reduce traffic in major cities that you remove all traffic lights. It’s based on letting the natural flow of traffic prevail to reduce volume. I kind of feel like that is Gulutzan’s system. The players have a destination in mind and the process of getting there is lots of unorganized chaos. I do find parts of it very odd, but it’s the only way I can explain coaches and fans being unhappy with a win and happy with a loss, due to the style we are playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad