Can Crosby Save the WHA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Lets just imagine for a moment that Sydney Crosby actually does sign a 1 year $5 million contract with the Toronto Toros. Could this move be enough to keep the league afloat for at least one year and possibly give it a basis for the future as well?
He would probably jet for th NHL upon his being drafted but one year might be enough for the new league. Another question is what is in Crosby's best interests as far as his development as the next greatest player.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
One year...maybe...the league may be able to survive...but it would be in Crosby's best interest to stay in the QMJHL as far as development goes IMO.

And he'll jet for the NHL the second he can.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Can he? Sure. Will he? No.This League looks doomed. They'll be under alot
of pressure to sign some big names so I'm sure they'll be trying though.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Personally i wouldn't count on crosby or even 3/4 of the drafted nhl/amatuer players even to consider playing WHA, they dreamed there whole lives of NHL not WHA, i can see maybe some of the over the top players who are AHL regulars or are not getting even a look anymore with the big club to join, maybe some amateurs who are desperate for pro hockeynow :dunno:

dwaynester

May 10, 2004
Southwestern Ontario
look at it this way

For a 20 man roster (approx), you are looking at $800,000.00 per player, plus one exemption at $5,000,000.00. 800 grand is nothing to sneeze at for one year, especially if there is no hockey going on in the NHL.

I will give the WHA one year, but they will have to be pretty impressive to make it to a second year. I think tickets will be cheap, and they will have to be to get the fans into the game. Remember, Hamilton can't draw 6,000 every night to the AHL, and tickets are only $23.00 a piece. Who knows what could be for the WHA, but if the tickets are $40 to $50 a piece, they are finished here before they even start.

One thing will get me to the Hamilton WHA games: Signing Cliff Ronning. I have been a Ronning fan for years, and that would be enough to bring me to a few games, just to watch him shine, even at this age. He has proven that he can still put the puck in the net, and as the #1 center on this team, he will be able to put up some impressive numbers.

NYI

Jul 19, 2004
I think it would be great for Crosby to sign with the WHA, it might a better experience for him to play against tougher competition as well as make a lil cash.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
Play another year in Junior for $500 or $1000 a week risking serious injury: Dumb

Playing in the WHA for $1 or $2 or $5 million dollars: Smart

If you were Sidney Crosby what would you choose?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
dwaynester said:
For a 20 man roster (approx), you are looking at $800,000.00 per player, plus one exemption at $5,000,000.00. 800 grand is nothing to sneeze at for one year, especially if there is no hockey going on in the NHL.

I will give the WHA one year, but they will have to be pretty impressive to make it to a second year. I think tickets will be cheap, and they will have to be to get the fans into the game. Remember, Hamilton can't draw 6,000 every night to the AHL, and tickets are only $23.00 a piece. Who knows what could be for the WHA, but if the tickets are $40 to $50 a piece, they are finished here before they even start.

One thing will get me to the Hamilton WHA games: Signing Cliff Ronning. I have been a Ronning fan for years, and that would be enough to bring me to a few games, just to watch him shine, even at this age. He has proven that he can still put the puck in the net, and as the #1 center on this team, he will be able to put up some impressive numbers.

Tickets in Halifax range from 20 bucks to 75.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Licentia said:
Play another year in Junior for $500 or $1000 a week risking serious injury: Dumb

So you cant get hurt in the WHA?

PEli*

Licentia said:

I don't understand the logic. A player can get hurt playing anywhere. A player can get hurt crossing the street or climbing a flight of stairs at home. What's your point here?

If I was Sidney Crosby, I'd choose the safe rote (ie: the league that is guaranteed to play games) and stick with the CHL.

degroat*

If the WHA doesn't end up playing games he can just go back to the CHL.

And, La-La-Laprise, chances are Crosby already has a large insurance policy that would pay him dearly if his career ended today.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Stich said:
If the WHA doesn't end up playing games he can just go back to the CHL.

And, La-La-Laprise, chances are Crosby already has a large insurance policy that would pay him dearly if his career ended today.

Exactly...and the chances are he will get hurt playing in the WHA over CHL.

According to people out west no one hits in the Q

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
So you cant get hurt in the WHA?

Yeah, but you'd be better off being hurt a millionaire then being hurt making $500 a week. If you couldn't ever work again with $1,000,000 in the bank you'd be okay. Not so with $2500 in the bank.

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
PEli said:
I don't understand the logic. A player can get hurt playing anywhere. A player can get hurt crossing the street or climbing a flight of stairs at home. What's your point here?

That logic has led many players to join the NHL rather then spend time in College or in Junior. You really would turn down $1 or $2 million dollars this year to work for $500 - $1000 a week? I'd take the money immediately for my family and myself. Why give my family insurance hassles and force them to care for me if i'm injured, when I can get professional care paid by all that money I made? What if I have to go to another hospital, how is my family going to afford to miss work to stand by me during my recovery/illness, or to travel to where I am being cared for? Insurance will not cover getting the BEST care possible, but $1 or $2 million will. He could just as easily die in a car accident this year. Wouldn't you want to leave your family some money to take care of them?

I remember Brad Horning in Regina (Pats) going face first into the boards. He swallowed his tongue and is now limited to a wheelchair and has some brain damage (I think). If he had the opportunity to make $1 million in another league but turned it down to play another season in Regina, then went head first into the boards people would say it was the saddest thing they'd ever seen.

Truly, I don't see your logic.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think it is odd to word it the way you did. How can he save what hasn't started?

He could certainly legitimize it. He could get other young players to follow suit which could get some vets in, too. He could do for his team and the WHA what he did for his Q team and for the Q in general, even if he didn't end up playing that well.

Will he? I don't know. It isn't unlikely by any stretch. I hope he does it because we can get a different idea of his game having him play with a vast array of other players, from would-bes to has-beens.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
jlockhart89 said:
Personally i wouldn't count on crosby or even 3/4 of the drafted nhl/amatuer players even to consider playing WHA, they dreamed there whole lives of NHL not WHA, i can see maybe some of the over the top players who are AHL regulars or are not getting even a look anymore with the big club to join, maybe some amateurs who are desperate for pro hockeynow :dunno:

Playing in the WHA won't stop him from playing in the NHL. The fact is he CAN'T play in the NHL this season and who knows, he may not be ready the season after. He CAN certainly play in the WHA this year and make some big money while possibly playing against better competition.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
La-La-Laprise said:
Exactly...and the chances are he will get hurt playing in the WHA over CHL.

According to people out west no one hits in the Q

According to his coach he got beat around all season, particularly stickwork. Remember when he threatened to sit Crosby and put a serious hurting on league revenue?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
rob_paxon said:
According to his coach he got beat around all season, particularly stickwork. Remember when he threatened to sit Crosby and put a serious hurting on league revenue?

And that's somehow going to improve playing against bigger and stronger players? I doubt it...

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
rob_paxon said:

I never heard of that. But the realities of the game right now are that players are hurting other players.
That minor leaguer who got smacked in the face with the stick and had convulsions on the ice. Of course, Todd Bertuzzi nearly breaking another players neck.

Please, why wouldn't anyone want to stay in junior when they can make big money in the WHA? There are so many reasons to make the jump.

I'm sure the WHA will pay players like Crosby ahead of time to guarantee their participation. There is too much on the line for the WHA not to.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
rob_paxon said:

That was just a ploy to get the refs on their side. He wasnt beat around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad