Speculation: Can Caps weaponize their capspace?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Obviously they can. Lots of open space coming up too.

That being said it's too early for this. They are in a Playoff spot right now so they definitely won't be selling and it's too early to be adding anything given that they don't really know what they have with their summer additions (Pacioretty and Edmundson) yet.

It's the same old, same old really. They are looking to move on from Kuznetsov, while being interested in young NHL'ers. I don't think anyone wants Kuznetsov as is so the deals likely won't happen before the deadline.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Washington wants to win. Not many teams are looking to trade their good players
They should buy low on Laine, play him behind Ovechkin on PP2 for a couple of more seasons and then they can keep the party going when Ovechkin retires.

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
They should buy low on Laine, play him behind Ovechkin on PP2 for a couple of more seasons and then they can keep the party going when Ovechkin retires.
What's a realistic "buy-low" proposal for Laine? Would CBJ accept a "buy-low" offer within the division? Seems unlikely. If Mantha with a 2024 1st and 2025 2nd with no salary retention from either side get's a Laine deal done then make it happen.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
What's a realistic "buy-low" proposal for Laine? Would CBJ accept a "buy-low" offer within the division? Seems unlikely. If Mantha with a 2024 1st and 2025 2nd with no salary retention from either side get's a Laine deal done then make it happen.
Laine has a big contract, so it depends if offers from other clubs would require retention, and the value of that.

Big contracts like Laine are hard to move, so Washington is at a big advantage in that they can offer deals with no retention.

Looking at how deals like Ryan Johansen's went down, I don't think anyone is going to be playing first-liner rates for Laine who has been hot-and-cold in all capacities with multiple clubs.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It could definitely put them in a very unique position among deadline "buyers", if they're still in the hunt like they are now. Everyone else is going to be looking to dump bad cap back the other way, asking for max retention, or double retention even...and simply have potentially available players who are completely out of reach and untenable due to the cap situation. The Caps might be bidding in their own little sub-market on certain players if it comes down to that. Could certainly be advantageous.

But i'd think the roadmap is probably to wait and see where they're at come deadline time, to give more time to evaluate needs, as well as to maximize that available cap space even further.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Decent chance Pacioretty is in the top 6 a month from now, wide variety of ways they can go at the deadline and facilitating a trade is one of them

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It could definitely put them in a very unique position among deadline "buyers", if they're still in the hunt like they are now. Everyone else is going to be looking to dump bad cap back the other way, asking for max retention, or double retention even...and simply have potentially available players who are completely out of reach and untenable due to the cap situation. The Caps might be bidding in their own little sub-market on certain players if it comes down to that. Could certainly be advantageous.

But i'd think the roadmap is probably to wait and see where they're at come deadline time, to give more time to evaluate needs, as well as to maximize that available cap space even further.
This is similar to what the Wild did last season, utilizing their accrued space to retain and facilitate trades as a third party, then use those returns to rent their own players for essentially “free” besides the salaries.

It’s a good way to bolster a roster for the playoffs without sacrificing the future, I think Washington would be wise to go this route if they do maintain their current rate of play.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
This is similar to what the Wild did last season, utilizing their accrued space to retain and facilitate trades as a third party, then use those returns to rent their own players for essentially “free” besides the salaries.

It’s a good way to bolster a roster for the playoffs without sacrificing the future, I think Washington would be wise to go this route if they do maintain their current rate of play.

Yeah. Definitely a clever way to go about things if you're a team in that mushy middle, kind of part way between competing and retooling.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Sens still need cap space for pinto's return in January. Take kubalik for a pick or prospect and flip him at the deadline for a profit. Or re-sign him if you prefer.

Reactions: theVladiator

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Washington isn't the only team with cap space. I do not think they are going to be tanking for as long as Ovechkin is chasing Gretzky's record. So they will look to spend their money on improving their team, not picking up garbage contracts.

In the offseason, I have a feeling they may have set their eyes on Nylander. That would fill the hole left by Backstrom quite nicely, of course they aren't the only ones eyeing Nylander right now.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Washington isn't the only team with cap space. I do not think they are going to be tanking for as long as Ovechkin is chasing Gretzky's record. So they will look to spend their money on improving their team, not picking up garbage contracts.

In the offseason, I have a feeling they may have set their eyes on Nylander. That would fill the hole left by Backstrom quite nicely, of course they aren't the only ones eyeing Nylander right now.
They sold off players last trade deadline while they still where in the playoff race. Fell off after that.

So if they are out at the TDL they will sell. If they are in they most likely wont be huge buyers, but some cheap reinforcement perhaps. Still they have capspace so they can take cap dumps who are UFAs this year.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
They sold off players last trade deadline while they still where in the playoff race. Fell off after that.

So if they are out at the TDL they will sell. If they are in they most likely wont be huge buyers, but some cheap reinforcement perhaps. Still they have capspace so they can take cap dumps who are UFAs this year.

Other than Orlov, those were minor depth retool moves, getting a bit younger. Orlov I think they sold because they thought they could not afford him, expecting Backstrom back. Or maybe he wanted out? Sorry, do not know Caps situation well. But, to me it looks like they aren't going to gut the team, and try to improve if they can, but not gonna mortgage the futures for another Cup. Bottom line, IMO Caps could be the frontrunner for Nylander in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad