Can Arber Xhekaj develop into a Jacob Trouba type of D?

Can Xhekaj can develop into a Trouba type of D ?

• Yes

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 62 81.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 6.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
offensive peak around 30P maybe once the Habs are a decent playoff team

But I highly doubt he'll ever be as good as Trouba

JohnnyBerts

Oct 30, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He's too good natured to be a Trouba or Gudas. He still goes to the Costco where he worked and says hi to his former co-workers. You can just hear it in his voice that he's not a goof like those other guys. He can still bring that type of tenacity but it will always be a bit different.

Reactions: Kojo and Laphroaig

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Trouba, while not worth his contract, was always a good hockey player who could handle tough top 4 minutes.

Xhekaj is 23 now and been unable to play anything outside of 15 minutes a night in arguably the most sheltered role in hockey (in terms of quality of competition).

No.

Reactions: biturbo19

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 9.15.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 9.16.13 PM.png

Age 23 for both players. No chance. Xhekaj is 23 and a WAYS behind what trouba was at age 19

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Boots are too heavy to reach those levels.

If he keeps developing maybe he can be somewhere between Zadorov and a tougher Hal Gill.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think it's two different styles. Arber typically isn't hunting guys for open ice impact, but he can be a miserable peice of business in the trenches, who happens to be a very willing fighter.

I suppose they both have a certain presence, but for different reasons.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't think the skating, puck skills or overall hockey sense/instincts are there to be a Trouba caliber player. With that sort of potential impact in all phases of the game, including top pairing shutdown minutes. Not sure he's got the consistent mean streak to replicate that element very reliably either.

Still could be a really useful bottom-pairing giant. Exactly the sort of piece coaches love to have on their bottom-pairing.

But you have to keep in mind that he's an older "young player". He's likely already much closer to his "ceiling" than say, Trouba was at a comparable number of games into his own NHL career. Xhekaj is probably closer to "he is what he is", than blossoming into a real Top-4 or especially Top-pairing Shutdown D.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hit like Trouba sure, fight better then Trouba sure.........hockey IQ & play hockey as good as Trouba no.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Trouba also regressed after 2018 pretty strongly and never recovered.
100%. I've been preaching the trouba washed train for a few years now. But even now he plays tough minutes in a top 4 role.

Xhekaj I don't see ever being able to handle that

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I’m sure Arber can develop into a head hunting dirty POS of a defenceman. I believe in him.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Xhekaj's reasonable upside reads something like "Fringe Top-4 (very) physical D that's more geared towards offense than defense but whose non-physical defensive game is a bit too weak to be considered a legit 2-way D".

I don't think there's a perfect comparable for that (that comes to mind, at least), but amongst actual NHL'ers, Zadorov is a much better comparable than Trouba.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
100%. I've been preaching the trouba washed train for a few years now. But even now he plays tough minutes in a top 4 role.

Technically he is 3rd pair but he gets a ton of PK minutes.

I was at game 3 it was the best game be played in a while, i think he is nursing an injury.

The again who isnt in the playoffs?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Xhekaj is 23 now and been unable to play anything outside of 15 minutes a night in arguably the most sheltered role in hockey (in terms of quality of competition).

No.

He took on somewhat tougher duties when paired with David Savard at the end of the season (and also generally looked better), and also spent part of the season playing (not very well) on his wrong side.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

He's been demoted to bottom pairing. He's been pretty good these playoffs but his play kind of fell off a cliff this year. Braden Schneider is younger and the better player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad