can anyone name me the teams in the echl that are stable

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It looks like next season (2018-19) will be the last for the Atlanta Gladiators. The arena they play in no longer wants them and it is the last year of their lease. I work with the team and they have always had trouble renewing the lease but I heard the arena said no.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
I think St. John's will do fine. They sold out almost 4 seasons in a row for AHL. And lots of Leafs fans here. Being affiliated with them will be a big plus.

Biggest issue in the last few years of AHL was people knew the team was leaving. This is local ownership. Makes a big difference

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Biggest issue in the last few years of AHL was people knew the team was leaving. This is local ownership. Makes a big difference
So the local ownership just needs to keep their mouths shut when they are shopping for a place to move the team in a few years? :badidea:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
So the local ownership just needs to keep their mouths shut when they are shopping for a place to move the team in a few years? :badidea:
Deacon probably isn't going anywhere and likely why Danny Williams kept the rights to Ice Caps, remember, had that arbitration suit been active, you likely don't see a NL franchise granted.... the Edge are co-owners here

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
It would take away their affiliation but I doubt they're in jeopardy considering they were recently bought by the owners of the Orlando Magic.

My list of what I consider stable teams (without a defining characteristic to base it on)

KC (owned by Lamar Hunt), Rapid City, Witchita, Fort Wayne, Allen, Idaho, Utah, Cincinnati, Orlando, Florida, Toledo, Tulsa, Jacksonville, South Carolina, not sure about Atlanta but I'll put them on my list, I'll say Portland considering their ownership but that may be premature.

I hope Norfolk and Manchester can find a way to revive their attendance figures, maybe in the case of Norfolk that could be helped with better owners.

Indy is profitable and has a significant amount of revenue coming from the arena naming rights. I'd put them on the "stable" list.

4EverBlades

Sep 22, 2018
As a long time Florida Everblades fan, I can assure all that the team is not on especially firm financial footings. Changes in Carolina (NHL affiliate) and Charlotte (AHL affiliate) have us, days before beginning camp, with few players signed, few players coming in with two and three way contracts and the majority of last years sensational team completely blown up. Players being given away for "future considerations", half dozen gone to Europe and several more simply retired. Naming rights to the arena have recently been sold to Hertz, so that will help, if Hertz gets the publicity it's looking for. We hardcore fans love our hockey in the swamp but realize the 20 year run appears to be in grave jeopardy. Attendance figures are being grossly exaggerated during the season, actual is 3-4 thousand most nights I'm there, although last years very deep playoff run filled or nearly filled the house a few times. Orlando's new agreement with Tampa Bay (and the Crunch), a very nice arena with real crowds and top talent coming in make them the financially stable ones in Florida for the ECHL. I have no idea what Jacksonville is doing or trying to do LOL.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There is no such thing as a "three way contract".

By definition, no.

But players on NHL ELS deals can be assigned to ECHL teams (getting their AHL salary rate), while players on other NHL contracts cannot be assigned to ECHL without their permission.

And there are AHL deals which are two-way (lesser salary in ECHL).

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
By definition, no.

But players on NHL ELS deals can be assigned to ECHL teams (getting their AHL salary rate), while players on other NHL contracts cannot be assigned to ECHL without their permission.

And there are AHL deals which are two-way (lesser salary in ECHL).

When I said there was no such thing as a three way deal, that's exactly what I mean, and nothing you just posted contradicts that. And years ago I'm the one who told you all the information you just posted, so this makes this all the more ludicrous.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
I would question Adirondack's stability as well. The group that owns the team also operates the arena, which they lease from the city of Glens Falls. All lease payments have been made and it runs through December 2019, they have an option to buy the arena for $1 at that point.

My thought is, why haven't done that yet? They have been operating the arena before they bought the Thunder from Calgary and have lost money every year. They even get $250k from the county each year but have always ended in the red, although it was only about 20k loss last year. My point is that without the money from the county, they would be in even worse shape.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Without knowing how the lease is written this is purely a guess, but if the Thunder aren't responsible in the lease for any major repairs that might pop up then there's no reason to exercise their option to buy until the very last minute.

Tater Tot

Jul 8, 2017
Without knowing how the lease is written this is purely a guess, but if the Thunder aren't responsible in the lease for any major repairs that might pop up then there's no reason to exercise their option to buy until the very last minute.

Which is an excellent point. A situation did arise a couple years ago when some bricks fell off of the front of the building, they were trying to figure out who's insurance company was going to pay for it (the city or the ownership group). Not sure who ultimately paid for that claim. Some of the things they have done to raise the money to buy the team and the campaign for "Keep Hockey Here" have led some to question the future of hockey here in Glens Falls.

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
I would question Adirondack's stability as well. The group that owns the team also operates the arena, which they lease from the city of Glens Falls. All lease payments have been made and it runs through December 2019, they have an option to buy the arena for $1 at that point.

My thought is, why haven't done that yet? They have been operating the arena before they bought the Thunder from Calgary and have lost money every year. They even get $250k from the county each year but have always ended in the red, although it was only about 20k loss last year. My point is that without the money from the county, they would be in even worse shape.

It almost seems like every team in this league . Has this issue even some of the more solidified teams. I read a article in the Reading Eagle a while back that the Reading parking authority and the Reading Royals were in a dispute over financial payments . The royals refused to pay the parking authority do to missed payments of a contracted cut of the parking revenue the authority was supposed to supply the team monthly .

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
It almost seems like every team in this league . Has this issue even some of the more solidified teams. I read a article in the Reading Eagle a while back that the Reading parking authority and the Reading Royals were in a dispute over financial payments . The royals refused to pay the parking authority do to missed payments of a contracted cut of the parking revenue the authority was supposed to supply the team monthly .

Eh, it might be a fair sign of wisdom to distinguish greed from instability. This doesn't necessarily indicate instability in the franchise, though it might be a wrongheaded indication that the ownership thinks it could move elsewhere and get a better deal. (NOTE: better deal can't be a new arena in another city if that city isn't going to buy tickets, and right now, name a market with open arms for the E.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad