I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
1297520654626_ORIGINAL.jpg

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Of course.

Plenty of NHL organizations that have had futile runs before tanking and turning it around.

The Blackhawks are a good example.

Great team?

Sure.

But they were god awful for a very long time.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
As long as Rogers/Bell are co-owners, fixing the Leafs will be a chore for anyone that tries! Too bad we couldn't get a single, non meddling owner!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
As long as Rogers/Bell are co-owners, fixing the Leafs will be a chore for anyone that tries! Too bad we couldn't get a single, non meddling owner!

Like Eugene Melnyk? How about Darryl Katz?

Bell/Rogers buying the Leafs is the best thing that could have happened to them.

#winning=ratings

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Having a rookie GM wasnt pretty the last time...

Having experienced GMs hasn't worked out either. Fletcher (2nd time around), Burke, and Nonis all had deep resumes when they got here.

Not to mention JFJ wasn't given autonomy. He went to the board and pushed for a rebuild focused on the draft, and they said no the priority was playoffs. His moves after getting that mandate weren't the best, but he still can't really be blamed for making "win now" type of moves. It's not what he wanted to do.

It was also right at the start of the cap era, when trade value wasnt well understood. He was still operating under non-cap era philosophies. Fletcher/Burke/Nonis came here well into the cap era, had full autonomy, had experience, and did a terrible job.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If the board of directors buts the hell out it can be built slowly and strongly starting with trading everyone that's screwing us now. Only the youngest should survive including Gardiner and Kadri. The whole first line should be scattered to four winds. Never to play together again.

Plan now for ten years done the road. Five years doesn't work now if it ever did. One cup every ten years would be a nice goal for the innermost workings of the team. We should be entitled to a complete rebuild just like every other team.

Until the perception that they are allowed to be a perennial mid pack team is gone,we will never succeed I think. Draft them,play the young players when they are ready and draft high again and again while building up the quality.

That's the only way to win in the cap system. Speaking of which. We should always have 10 to 15% cap space available yearly in the process to allow for contract buys at the deadline when needed. Its very doable with the right expectations being understood by the team and fan base together.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Of course.

Plenty of NHL organizations that have had futile runs before tanking and turning it around.

The Blackhawks are a good example.

Great team?

Sure.

But they were god awful for a very long time.

This.

McDavid would fix it. Hell, look at the Islanders. Their GM is a bumbling idiot, but it's amazing what drafting a #1 Centre can do for you.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
McDavid would be start.

Like Crosby, Toews, ...I'd venture to say, soon to be ; Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin

These winners all have a thing in common. Superstar centers to shoulder the heavy work load. Leafs have failed to accept this and have pieced together a group of players that would be considered "helpers" or "secondary" on these perennial contenders.

Kessel is P.Kane
JvR is Sharp
Phaneuf is Seabrook

Find us our Toews.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
McDavid would be start.

Like Crosby, Toews, ...I'd venture to say, soon to be ; Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin

These winners all have a thing in common. Superstar centers to shoulder the heavy work load. Leafs have failed to accept this and have pieced together a group of players that would be considered "helpers" or "secondary" on these perennial contenders.

Kessel is P.Kane
JvR is Sharp
Phaneuf is Seabrook

Find us our Toews.

And our Duncan Keith

Leafspoison*

Babcock can and will fix this team.

I hope Shanny brings him in as coach and GM. He is a great evaluator of young talent.

pmalte

Feb 10, 2015
Firstly I don't see why Smith is in the big leagues at this moment.
Secondly we should bring up either Colton Orr or Fraser McClaren. Quite frankly I want both. I want the big hits and teams actually not thinking we are the least intimidating team in the league. Last time I remember us almost making it out of the first round (against a much better Bruins team) was when we were leading the League in fighting majors heading into the playoffs and had some intimidating players hitters like Fraser and a more fired up Komarov who isn't as focused on scoring (we don't need a Ruutu)

Thirdly we must tank to draft Connor McDavid. He's a Newmarket boy for Pete sake and would be the next best homegrown talent we had a chance to lay our hands on since Tavares, Stamkos, Nash, Bobby... the list goes on. At the worst the Leafs must get a top 3 pick this year no exceptions. It isn't that hard to do if you look at it.

Fourth, I would bring Frattin up give him or Connor brown a shot to run with it for next year, or at least get a taste of NHL.

Players who I think should get an eye at traded

Dan Winnik 3rd or 2nd
Mike Santorelli - 2nd
Joffrey Lupul - 2nd
Jake Gardiner/Cody Franson could fetch a first
Dion Phaneuf could fetch a first
Bozak/Jvr only as a means to draft mcdavid
Kessel only as a means to draft mcdavid

Order from most necessary to least.

If the Leafs draft connor mcdavid I would make Kadri a winger

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
One phone call could fix it.

- Hey Bettman, it´s Shanny. Yeah, I just wanted to give you a heads up that we will not sell any jerseys or any other merchandise next season. We simply dont have any good names to put on the back as we are thinking of trading off most of our guys.
- Well, McDavid would sure fit your legendary jersey, woultnt it?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Like Eugene Melnyk? How about Darryl Katz?

Bell/Rogers buying the Leafs is the best thing that could have happened to them.

#winning=ratings
Good joke there! LOL! Maybe call up the CBC and you could appear on This Hour Has 22 Minutes.

Fans overrate and exaggerate with the sole order idea, of course, but Rogers/Bell owning the Leafs is just another corporate con job the Leafs have had except a higher profile version than The Teachers Union/MLSE were.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I can dream for my favorite player playing for Leafs, Stammer. If we actually make it happen by trading unnecessary burden in Kessel, Phaneuf and Lupul(also Clarktard buyout) and drafting big Stammer can lead kids to win with him.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Having a rookie GM wasnt pretty the last time...

Again, I don't think people get this concept, which is the GM doesn't have much power... it doesn't matter if your a 1st or 10th year GM still the same. Owners set a madate and its up to ALL employees to follow. Lets' take JFJ for example, he wanted to do a full on rebuild but the owners wanted a short term fix to make the playoffs... guess who has more power in that situation?

Until ownership changes it's ideologies, the end result will remain the same.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad