Can a pure skill line work in today’s NHL?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Well the OP called it "skill" but what he really meant was smaller/non physical. Not really equivalent. There are a ton of extremely skilled players that are also physical - that does not seem to be what the OP is speaking about tho
The OP referred to the line as "pure skill" which means that's the main tool they're working with. Pure skill players are typically weak defensively and along the boards and don't possess a high hockey IQ but produce solid results just because of their talent alone. Think Drouin. He can be on a good line but if you have 3 of him, that line probably isn't going to have huge success.

Of course a line of skilled players would work. In fact, skilled lines are the best lines in the NHL as long as they have other attributes to go along with their skill like defense, grit, strength, and hockey IQ.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Much more so than in previous eras. Something that hockey is doing right these days is preventing goons from taking first line talents out of the game.

Doesn't mean that physicality isn't important, or the ability to play physically a skill.

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
Blues' first line for much the season was Schwartz/Schenn/Tarasenko; some physicality in Schenn but......

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Well the OP called it "skill" but what he really meant was smaller/non physical. Not really equivalent. There are a ton of extremely skilled players that are also physical - that does not seem to be what the OP is speaking about tho

I said pure skill, meaning their entire game and effectiveness hinges on their skill.

Smaller/non physical is part of that, yes. But it’s that plus having elite skill. The example I gave included Kane and Alex DeBrincat.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
For sure. The game is now about speed anyway so it would work.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
For sure. The game is now about speed anyway so it would work.

Do you still need someone on each line to stand in front of the net to screen/clean up rebounds, and who will dig into the corners? Or can you get away with three guys skating around, holding the puck, and playing more perimeter hockey?

That seems to be the biggest debate.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Nuge-McDavid-Rattie were dominant in the end of the season, neither of those are very physical

Did that line have a net-front presence and someone who was willing to dig in the corners and play the board? Or were they good and playing more of a perimeter style?

Based on ASL, it looks like McDavid shot from in tight a lot while the other two stayed outside.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I forgot all about TB’s Triplets line. That line dominated.

Does anybody remember how they played? Did they have one of those guys play a net-front role, or was it all passing and perimeter hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad