Can a pure skill line work in today’s NHL?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Can a pure shifty/skill first line work in today’s NHL?

This came up when discussing whether a DeBrincat-Schmaltz-Kane line can be a first line. None of those guys are the particularly gritty physical types, but they are quick and like to pass the puck around while avoiding hits.

Some people believe this line could dominate offensively in today’s game. Others think you need to have a power forward-type paired with two of those three.

I’m making this because I can’t really think of a comprable first line to this, but maybe it’s because the league’s previous style of play didn’t make it practical. Want to get the non-homer take on it.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
sure can. Gaudreau or Kane with the Sedins will work like magic.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Regular season yeah. Probably not in the playoffs. Stamkos-Kucherov got out muscled in Washington series.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Not true. Physicality had nothing to do with that line not performing. Bad example.

Correct, also a bad example considering Stamkos is one of the strongest pound for pound players in the league - he doesn't throw his weight around but certainly doesn't get "outmuscled". He wasn't able to generate plays the last couple games but it wasn't because he was physically bullied.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
One, it could work.

But, one, in a cap system it is probably smartest to diversify your lines, as the marginal improvement of having a great stacked 1st line is probably lost further down the line-up where you have less skilled guys playing.

Now, a bunch of elite players is able to be very diverse players such as Crosby.

Reactions: haveandare

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Correct, also a bad example considering Stamkos is one of the strongest pound for pound players in the league - he doesn't throw his weight around but certainly doesn't get "outmuscled". He wasn't able to generate plays the last couple games but it wasn't because he was physically bullied.
They also primarily played with JT Miller, who I wouldn't call a pure skill guy. So, it isn't really an example of this type of line. It'd make sense if they maybe put Point on that line (I know he's a good 2-way player, but he isn't particularly physical and is good player due to speed and skill).

I mean, could Gaudreau-McDavid-Kane work as a line? Probably, it may have some issues in gaining the puck, but they would still score at an elite rate. But, overall, its probably best to have one on each line driving offense, or at least 2 on 1 line and the other on his own. You would probably get diminishing returns on overall team goal and play by stacking that heavily.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
I believe this years Stanley Cup Finals is proof that those lines can work.

Vegas is running with a Smith-Karlsson-Marchessault line who's speed and skill has given teams fits.

And while it is not the first line Washington is using an extremely effective Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie line as their second unit.

Teams dont need a "power forward" type on a top line anymore. The term "power forward" is changing as we speak. It is no longer the physical presence that creates space for teammates through intimidation. Now it is simply someone who is willing to stand in front of the net and score greasy goals. James Van Riemsdyk is considered an upper echelon power forward, but his next big hit will be his first.

There is a difference between having a physical player on a line and have someone who is willing to be physical. Smith and Oshie are the latter, when you think of them you dont think of hits they dish out, you think of beauty plays they make, but they are willing to take the body if they think it is the right play.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Of course it can. Being a skill guy doesn't automatically mean you're getting pushed around.

But it does increase the risk that retrieving pucks becomes an issue. If you lose the puck and can't get it back then logic says you're fighting a losing battle.

Which brings us back to the first point, skill guys can be hard on pucks. First player that came to mind is Panarin. But then there's also Eberle.

Depends on the players.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Burakovsky worked pretty well for a while when Dumb Wilson was suspended, no?

I don’t think a line with Ovechkin should count, he throws his weight around a lot more than someone like Kane.

Not saying Ovie isn’t skilled, he’s just definitely more physical than anyone on the line I mentioned.

Maybe I didn’t do a good job of explaining what I’m talking about in the OP.

Last edited:

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I think it would be hard to score if all three stay far away from the net, making plays in the perimeter only. Kane & Panarin worked well because they also had Anisimov drawing a d-man in front of the net.

But yeah, if all three have sublime skill, then sure. But if we're talking "skilled" type players like Sam Gagner, then no. The three would need to be better than the line they are matching up against, and beat them despite not having a puck retrieval/net-front presence guy on their line.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler was a very good line in 2011-12,one of the bigger reasons the Wings were best in the league at even strength that year

Reactions: mantha39

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Regular season yeah. Probably not in the playoffs. Stamkos-Kucherov got out muscled in Washington series.

Totally agree with this. If anyone remembers the Hawks/Lightning series, you wouldn't see Kane anywhere near the Lightning net. Tampa had some big D-men and Kane kept dialing long distance in that series.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
The opposite of what the OP is referring to. Is this serious?

Well the OP called it "skill" but what he really meant was smaller/non physical. Not really equivalent. There are a ton of extremely skilled players that are also physical - that does not seem to be what the OP is speaking about tho

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Hudler led the league in 5v5 scoring when the Flames rolled Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler during Gaudreau's rookie year. That line worked pretty ok

They might have had 20 hits between all 3 of them.

Reactions: Sensators

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad