Can a player renegotiate their contract when playing poorly?

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Can i player re-negotiate their contract if they are not living up to the contract expectations? Example, lets say Toews doesn't improve his production, can he negotiate his contract to take a lower cap hit and on?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Can i player re-negotiate their contract if they are not living up to the contract expectations? Example, lets say Toews doesn't improve his production, can he negotiate his contract to take a lower cap hit and on?
They can agree to terminate a deal, but why would Toews do that?

He won a cup on an ELC. The Hawks are compensating for underpaying him in the beginning by overpaying at the end.

Reactions: Tak7

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
The team has zero power to do this, so I'm pretty sure it would 100% need to come from the player which would be insane haha

That's even if the CBA allows it

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

He won a cup on an ELC. The Hawks are compensating for underpaying him in the beginning by overpaying at the end.

Yeah, mutual agreement to terminate a deal is usually something that happens with a vet on a 1 year deal where things just don't work out from both parties perspectives and you're not talking about a lot of money (like Jagr this year . . . as a Pens fan, I remember they did it with LeClair too).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Pretty sure its prohibited by the CBA

I don't think it is.

Players can terminate contracts. We know that.

So a player can terminate, and the negotiate a new contract.

It won't happen, because it would mean players would lose money, and the PA would probably be pissed if someone did it.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I don't believe this is allowed under the CBA. A contract can be terminated, but I don't think it can be terminated in favor of a new contract with different salary/term.

Reactions: Mork

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Luongo sounded like he would like to do it when his situation was a mess in Vancouver but I dont think the PA is interested to set a precedent.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Even if this could happen, why would a player agree to take less money?

A player who has such a strong drive to re-negotiate a contract to take less money or to help the team would likely not ask for such a big salary in the first place.

Players understand that a hockey career can turn on a dime, you need to get paid while you can.

Harhis

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
I don't think it is.

Players can terminate contracts. We know that.

So a player can terminate, and the negotiate a new contract.

It won't happen, because it would mean players would lose money, and the PA would probably be pissed if someone did it.
OK so would it be possible to make a 1 year contract with let's say 5M AAV and max on the signing bonus (whatever it is, 50% ?) Terminate the contract and then make new one with lower salary?

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
OK so would it be possible to make a 1 year contract with let's say 5M AAV and max on the signing bonus (whatever it is, 50% ?) Terminate the contract and then make new one with lower salary?
I believe it gets treated like a buyout; you can’t sign player again for 1 year.

Don’t quote me though, I’m only 90% on that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Well they could mutually terminate the contract and all but... Why would the player do that just to get less money?

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
11.10 No Renegotiation. In no event shall a Club and a Player negotiate a change in any terms of a Player's SPC for the then-current season or for any remaining season of an SPC (except as provided for in Section 11.8(b)). This provision shall not prohibit a Player and Club from negotiating an extension to an existing SPC in accordance with the terms of Section 50.5(f) hereof, or from negotiating a new or reformed SPC or Offer Sheet in the limited context and time-frame expressly set forth in Section 11.6(a)(vi) above.

I'm not going to copy the entirety of Article 26 on no circumvention, but it would be caught there.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I believe it gets treated like a buyout; you can’t sign player again for 1 year.

Don’t quote me though, I’m only 90% on that.

A termination is not a buyout though.

A buyout is giving the player some portion of the money he is owed, and that player remains against your salary cap.

A termination is the player forfeiting that money, and no longer counting against your salary cap.

They aren't treated the same.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

I'm not CBA guru, but I can't think of any provisions in there that would prevent this from happening, no.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
11.10 No Renegotiation. In no event shall a Club and a Player negotiate a change in any terms of a Player's SPC for the then-current season or for any remaining season of an SPC (except as provided for in Section 11.8(b)). This provision shall not prohibit a Player and Club from negotiating an extension to an existing SPC in accordance with the terms of Section 50.5(f) hereof, or from negotiating a new or reformed SPC or Offer Sheet in the limited context and time-frame expressly set forth in Section 11.6(a)(vi) above.

I'm not going to copy the entirety of Article 26 on no circumvention, but it would be caught there.

There's the answer.

Thanks Rusty

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018

Hmm...

Thats a very interesting way to look at it. Never thought about it like that!

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
A termination is not a buyout though.

A buyout is giving the player some portion of the money he is owed, and that player remains against your salary cap.

A termination is the player forfeiting that money, and no longer counting against your salary cap.

They aren't treated the same.
I know, I said ‘treated like a buyout’ in a sense that you can’t immediately resign. Read the post I was responding to.

NewtJorden

Unitas est Invicta
Aug 9, 2006
Rimouski
I'm not sure Toews would suddenly have remorse about the 10.5 millions the Blackhawks are somehow giving him.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Only the NFLPA is short sighted enough to fail to negotiate fully guaranteed contracts into their CBA. Ironically, NFL players complain about being underpaid despite being in the most profitable league in North America. I doubt a player would ever voluntarily take less money from these billionaire owners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad