Can a player-owner play as long as they want?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The only player-owner I'm aware of is Mario and he's happily retired with no chance of returning to the ice. But let's consider Jagr. He's an older player who wants to keep playing but no NHL team will take him even though he's an all time great NHL player and maybe top 10 all time.

If Jagr owned an NHL franchise could he just keep inserting himself into the lineup for as long as he wants? Even if he wants to play at 55?

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
If it was clear it the owner didn't belong on the ice and was acting merely in self interest, the Players Association as well as the league would have serious objection.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
As long as he could pass a physical I don't see how the NHLPA or The league could object......

Mario has too much pride and self respect to ever tarnish his image like that though.....

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The coach would have to be a great diplomat-to somehow say, the team is better without you on the ice.
Can you even have representation from the PA? What is relationship with the team rep? What if the players want to discuss
future labour issues?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If I owned a team I'd demand to be on the roster so that I could do ridiculous stuff in the shootout.

Reactions: HydroF

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
I'm sure like when Ted Turner fired the Braves Manager in order to manage a game that the NHL would put a rule in if it became embarrassing

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
This is not unheard of in European soccer. Gaddafi's son got to play for an Italian team, I believe. Money talks.

It'd be difficult to word a rule that prevents a team from icing a player like that. It should always come down to the coach's decision. But the problem is, an owner can always can the coach and get one that allows him to play. But it would have to be a real dick of an owner, and one with a thick skin, to pull something like that off. I think the negative press, and fan backlash, would be enough to put an end to it quickly.

I don't actually see it happening with hockey. More likely baseball, if anything.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
When Mario was player-owner, does that mean he could overrule a coaches line decision?

There was a funny story on the Spittin Chicklets podcast where a former Pen was in Marios group at practice in Marios final season, and when the coach told them it was their turn to skate lines Mario basically said no and the coach didn't object.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I'm sure the player/owner could do it, but the team would become a laughing stock. No serious coach would want to work for the team. No free agents would want to sign. And maybe even no draft picks would sign and instead wait to reenter the draft. Cause a team like that doesn't care about winning, just getting their owner ice time.

But I'm sure eventually the league would step in. Doesn't the NBA have a rule where a player can't be an owner too?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
While it would be hilarious if you were thinking of an older owner, but I imagine a 70 year old might retire on his own free will after this happened to him in game 1 on his first shift.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
NHL let Messier play in an old timers game when he was still an active player. They love stunts, hence the endless Winter Classic outdoor games. If he bought a team, they'd let Jagr come on the ice every time the other team pulls their goalie, all season!

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
To be fair, both owners/players you mention would still contribute to most NHL teams.

agent082

Feb 11, 2012
While it would be hilarious if you were thinking of an older owner, but I imagine a 70 year old might retire on his own free will after this happened to him in game 1 on his first shift.

What if it is 70 year old lady. No way anyone is willing to hit an old lady.

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
What if it is 70 year old lady. No way anyone is willing to hit an old lady.

"You need me to do what now?"
images

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad