Camp Battles Part 1 and Part 2

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Purcell may have hurt himself. Unfortunately maybe Nurse did too in that fight because he's not out there.

Last night McLellan said they were splitting camp into 2 groups, Group 1, the NHL group, and Group 2, the AHL group. Nurse and Purcell are in group 2

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Reinhart and nurse will be on the farm. Purcell and yak are not a battle. The guys on the 4th line need to be worried. Klinkhammer and the guy we got for gordon should be prepared for the walk of shame to the minors

Agreed. I'd love to see Nurse and Reinhart in the AHL destroying guys. Name them "The Bakersfield Wrecking Crew", give them a year of marinating in the AHL, then give them the 5/6 role next season on the big club.

And I loved Klink, but I think the writing's on the wall for him. Too bad really, but honestly, if Klink is on your team, you have piss poor depth. It's sad, but its reality.

Korpikoski? He's a legit NHLer, I highly doubt he's going anywhere.

As I said in the article, I have a lot of difficulty envisioning a scenario where both Reinhart and Nurse are on the farm. Nikitin has been god awful.

Korpikoski didn't play like an NHL'er last season.

As per the blueline, I'm hoping for this:

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Davidson - Gryba
Ference

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. I'd love to see Nurse and Reinhart in the AHL destroying guys. Name them "The Bakersfield Wrecking Crew", give them a year of marinating in the AHL, then give them the 5/6 role next season on the big club.

And I loved Klink, but I think the writing's on the wall for him. Too bad really, but honestly, if Klink is on your team, you have piss poor depth. It's sad, but its reality.

Korpikoski didn't play like an NHL'er last season.

As per the blueline, I'm hoping for this:

Sekera - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Davidson - Gryba
Ference

Korpikoski had the misfortune on playing in perhaps the worst bottom 6 in the NHL last year. Don't forget he put up the same point total as Rieder, who everyone was falling over themselves to heap praise on, in three less games. He was also allegedly playing through a high ankle sprain which is murder on a speed-first player.

That Davidson-Gryba pairing makes me cringe just a bit. Either Reinhart or Nurse would be better options than Davidson IMO - I like him, but I'm a firm believer that each pairing needs a puckmover.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Korpikoski had the misfortune on playing in perhaps the worst bottom 6 in the NHL last year. Don't forget he put up the same point total as Rieder, who everyone was falling over themselves to heap praise on, in three less games. He was also allegedly playing through a high ankle sprain which is murder on a speed-first player.

That Davidson-Gryba pairing makes me cringe just a bit. Either Reinhart or Nurse would be better options than Davidson IMO - I like him, but I'm a firm believer that each pairing needs a puckmover.

I'm gonna be perfectly straight here - I don't want either Reinhart or Nurse on our team this season. I'm not sold on either of them being a good fit with any of Ference/Nikin/Davidson/Gryba, and I would much rather have an iffy bottom pair than throw these guys to the wolves yet.

I think Davidson is better than most give him credit for here. We need someone with some speed on that bottom pair, regardless of which guy gets the other spot, and to me, that guy is Davidson, at least to start the year. We can send Nurse down, and if he completely dominates in the AHL, then bring him up, but I don't want him to be gifted a spot without any AHL time.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I'm gonna be perfectly straight here - I don't want either Reinhart or Nurse on our team this season. I'm not sold on either of them being a good fit with any of Ference/Nikin/Davidson/Gryba, and I would much rather have an iffy bottom pair than throw these guys to the wolves yet.

I think Davidson is better than most give him credit for here. We need someone with some speed on that bottom pair, regardless of which guy gets the other spot, and to me, that guy is Davidson, at least to start the year. We can send Nurse down, and if he completely dominates in the AHL, then bring him up, but I don't want him to be gifted a spot without any AHL time.

I'm not in favor of gifting them a spot either, I'm just not sure Davidson is a better option than Reinhart or Nurse.

Don't get me wrong Davidson is a great story, but I see him more as an injury fill-in than a guy I want in my top 6 right now.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I'm not in favor of gifting them a spot either, I'm just not sure Davidson is a better option than Reinhart or Nurse.

Don't get me wrong Davidson is a great story, but I see him more as an injury fill-in than a guy I want in my top 6 right now.

He might not be a better option, but I'd rather have him in that role and Nurse and Reinhart in Bakersfield than keep either of the latter up.

phaedrusDH

Jul 6, 2009

these are good points. i would have liked to see them bring in a guy like Zidlicky to pair with Nurse/Reinhart.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The most intriguing battle to me is Nilsson vs. Scrivens. Both played well last night but Nilsson looked like he has the ability to not only win the backup job but potentially the #1 in time.
Just one game, but a goalie with his size and athleticism makes you take notice. He's young enough for plenty of growth as well as some goalies are late bloomers.

I don't think either Reinhart or Nurse make the team especially Nurse who can really use some seasoning in the AHL. I think they go with two vets on the bottom pairing, likely Ference-Gryba then ease Reinhart into the lineup later in the season if that pairing proves ineffective.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
lol at Purcell getting cut and sat hahhahahaha

Sure Yak outplayed Purcell last night, and maybe Drai plays in the top 6 cause hes looking great out there.

But serious Purcell got praise the day before for his chemistry on the line in training camp from the coach, so i cant see 2 preseason periods and he gets cut.

Does anyone have a link for that? Im assuming hes banged up, not sat and cut.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
lol at Purcell getting cut and sat hahhahahaha

Sure Yak outplayed Purcell last night, and maybe Drai plays in the top 6 cause hes looking great out there.

But serious Purcell got praise the day before for his chemistry on the line in training camp from the coach, so i cant see 2 preseason periods and he gets cut.

Does anyone have a link for that? Im assuming hes banged up, not sat and cut.

He apparently has a minor injury but according to Gregor new team policy is to not discuss minor dings.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
here is a question for those of you who believe either Nurse or Reinhart will be on the team

"Would you rather have them playing 20+ minutes on the farm playing in all situations or would want them playing 10 to 15 in the nhl and shallow minutes"?

This is the oilers D right now

1) Andrej Sekera
2) Justin Schultz
3) Oscar Klefbom
4) Mark Fayne
5) Eric Gryba
6) Andrew Ference
7) Nikita Nikitin

and lets say Ference and Nikiten get rotated in and out every other night or something with Gryba tossed in there as well

Nikitin is out number 7 d and at 4.5 no one will trade for him

For me--I would rather have Reinhart and Nurse play on the farm and use Brandon Davidson, Brad Hunt, and Jordan Oesterle for fill in duty in recall situation.

Reinhart and Nurse need to play and big d-men need to play to develop--both are 6-3 and they need a little more time to develop.

Also--we maybe walking into the season with a couple of rookies up front and they will need a steady hand on the back end to keep things sane

we have a few forgotten players on our team the will complicate things

here are the NHl players on the oilers roster right now--we can only have 23 players on the roster at one time

C
1) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2) Connor McDavid
3)Anton Lander
4) Mark Letestu
5) Matt Hendricks

LW
6) Taylor Hall
7) Benoit Pouliot
8) Luke Gazdic
9) Rob Klinkhammer
10) Lauri Korpikoski

RW
11) Jordan Eberle
12) Nail Yakupov
13) Teddy Purcell

D
14) Andrej Sekera
15) Justin Schultz
16) Oscar Klefbom
17) Mark Fayne
18) Eric Gryba
19) Andrew Ference
20) Nikita Nikitin

G)

21) Ben Scrivens
22) Cam Talbot

fighting for Jobs

1) C/LW Bogdan Yakimov
2) F. Andrew Miller
4) C Leon Dristatle
5) F. Iiro Pakarinen
6) Brandon Davidson
7) Brad Hunt
8) Jordan Oesterle
9) Griffin Reinhart
10) Darnell Nurse
11) Anders Nilsson
12) Tyler Pitlick

I do see the oilers moving out players like Klinkhammer, Lauri Korpikoski, Matt Hendricks, Anton Lander, Teddy Purcell and Scrivens if they find a buyer

on D the problem there will be no buyer for Nikiten and Ference

Last edited:

McDeathbyCheerios*

here is a question for those of you who believe either Nurse or Reinhart will be on the team

"Would you rather have them playing 20+ minutes on the farm playing in all situations or would want them playing 10 to 15 in the nhl and shallow minutes"?

This is the oilers D right now

1) Andrej Sekera
2) Justin Schultz
3) Oscar Klefbom
4) Mark Fayne
5) Eric Gryba
6) Andrew Ference
7) Nikita Nikitin

and lets say Ference and Nikiten get rotated in and out every other night or something with Gryba tossed in there as well

Nikitin is out number 7 d and at 4.5 no one will trade for him

For me--I would rather have Reinhart and Nurse play on the farm and use Brandon Davidson, Brad Hunt, and Jordan Oesterle for fill in duty in recall situation.

Reinhart and Nurse need to play and big d-men need to play to develop--both are 6-3 and they need a little more time to develop.

Also--we maybe walking into the season with a couple of rookies up front and they will need a steady hand on the back end to keep things sane

we have a few forgotten players on our team the will complicate things

here are the NHl players on the oilers roster right now--we can only have 23 players on the roster at one time

C
1) Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2) Connor McDavid
3)Anton Lander
4) Mark Letestu
5) Matt Hendricks

LW
6) Taylor Hall
7) Benoit Pouliot
8) Luke Gazdic
9) Rob Klinkhammer
10) Lauri Korpikoski

RW
11) Jordan Eberle
12) Nail Yakupov
13) Teddy Purcell

D
14) Andrej Sekera
15) Justin Schultz
16) Oscar Klefbom
17) Mark Fayne
18) Eric Gryba
19) Andrew Ference
20) Nikita Nikitin

G)

21) Ben Scrivens
22) Cam Talbot

fighting for Jobs

1) C/LW Bogdan Yakimov
2) F. Andrew Miller
4) C Leon Dristatle
5) F. Iiro Pakarinen
6) Brandon Davidson
7) Brad Hunt
8) Jordan Oesterle
9) Griffin Reinhart
10) Darnell Nurse
11) Anders Nilsson
12) Tyler Pitlick

I do see the oilers moving out players like Klinkhammer, Lauri Korpikoski, Matt Hendricks, Anton Lander, Teddy Purcell and Scrivens if they find a buyer

on D the problem there will be no buyer for Nikiten and Ference
Reinhart and Nurse are different. Nurse needs to work in consistency and Reinhart just needs to continue playing solid defense.

Reinhart would develop better on the third pairing then in OKC. Klefbom was quoted as saying that it's easier to play good defnese in the NHL then the ahl as in the NHL you have team consistency and people more often do what they are supposed to. So for a guy like Reinhart who just needs to continue the way he is going, being eased into the NHL is probably best suited for him.

I also do not see Draisaitl fighting for a job as he is currently our 6th best forward. I believe he has one on the big club, the only question is exactly where.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Reinhart and Nurse are different. Nurse needs to work in consistency and Reinhart just needs to continue playing solid defense.

Reinhart would develop better on the third pairing then in OKC. Klefbom was quoted as saying that it's easier to play good defnese in the NHL then the ahl as in the NHL you have team consistency and people more often do what they are supposed to. So for a guy like Reinhart who just needs to continue the way he is going, being eased into the NHL is probably best suited for him.

I also do not see Draisaitl fighting for a job as he is currently our 6th best forward. I believe he has one on the big club, the only question is exactly where.

Both Reinhart and Nurse need to develop--each in their own way-but they were will develop better playing 20+ a night and not 10 to 15 that 3rd pairing guys do

McDeathbyCheerios*

Both Reinhart and Nurse need to develop--each in their own way-but they were will develop better playing 20+ a night and not 10 to 15 that 3rd pairing guys do
Some guys develop better playing a lot of minutes. Others develop better playing less minutes against higher quality opponents. I honestly believe Nurse is the later and Reinhart is the latter.

Nurse learns by constantly doing and irons out his game with consistency.

Reinhart is a type that learns by watching and learns by correcting mistakes, which is better done on the big club.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Some guys develop better playing a lot of minutes. Others develop better playing less minutes against higher quality opponents. I honestly believe Nurse is the later and Reinhart is the latter.

Reinhart is a type that learns by watching and learns by correcting mistakes, which is better done on the big club.

Came back here post meeting to say something along the lines of the bolded.

The Breakfast Killer beat me to it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Nurse is hurt it kinda becomes a non-issue doesn't it? Reinhart is the choice if there's a young D coming in.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

With FWDS I would agree-but with D-men --It my opinion and my opinion alone--that D and Goalies--to develop they need to play a lot in all situations

if either one breaks camp with the oilers--they would be playing poor minutes behind the new guy, klefbom, Schultz and Fayne--

I love what the oilers did with Klefbom-- 21 years old played 60 games last season

Nurse is 20 and Reinhart is 21 and I would like him to start the season on the farm to see if he is ready--IF he does 20 to 30 games on the farm and is ready--there maybe a taker for Nikiten or Schultz

McDeathbyCheerios*

With FWDS I would agree-but with D-men --It my opinion and my opinion alone--that D and Goalies--to develop they need to play a lot in all situations

if either one breaks camp with the oilers--they would be playing poor minutes behind the new guy, klefbom, Schultz and Fayne--

I love what the oilers did with Klefbom-- 21 years old played 60 games last season

Nurse is 20 and Reinhart is 21 and I would like him to start the season on the farm to see if he is ready--IF he does 20 to 30 games on the farm and is ready--there maybe a taker for Nikiten or Schultz
Klefbom wasn't on the team not because he wasn't ready, but because they thought that Hunt, Ference, Nikitin, Aulie, Schultz and Fayne were all better.

If Reinhart looks better then the other options he will develop well on the bottom pairing. Throw him in some pk too

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

The only reason that happened with Klefbom is that Eakins wanted Brad Hunt in the lineup...

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I noticed something in the 3rd period when Yakupov was put on a line with an offensively competent center.

He instantly produced.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I noticed something in the 3rd period when Yakupov was put on a line with an offensively competent center.

He instantly produced.

and not in a selfish way at all. It's not like he was being carried

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

You know this how?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
and not in a selfish way at all. It's not like he was being carried

He made the play the lead to the line's goal. He did the grunt work in the corners and outplayed the defender.

Yakupov is probably our most gifted forward athletically.
Hall might skate a bit faster, but Hall only skates better going straight. Yakupov is a well built specimen from head to toe. He's more agile, his lower body is better suited for battling and he hits like a truck.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
He made the play the lead to the line's goal. He did the grunt work in the corners and outplayed the defender.

Yakupov is probably our most gifted forward athletically.
Hall might skate a bit faster, but Hall only skates better going straight. Yakupov is a well built specimen from head to toe. He's more agile, his lower body is better suited for battling and he hits like a truck.

I agree, he seems like he is built like a little Ovi. Very solid. I think the biggest change in his game after Nelson took over was his intensity and how hard he forechecked and pressured the puck. A lot of his second half points came from great board work.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Since my wall of text got overlooked, I'll rephrase in shorter form (gotta work on that...):

I feel like Reinhart's steady game will develop better in the NHL and is part of why he struggled in the AHL. His style requires his team to have some structure. Nurse, on the other hand, will likely tear up the AHL and as such I want him to start there and hopefully work on his offense. He's imo our best shot at a #1 and needs to develop some real offense to ever get there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad