Camp Battles Part 1 and Part 2

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Since my wall of text got overlooked, I'll rephrase in shorter form (gotta work on that...):

I feel like Reinhart's steady game will develop better in the NHL and is part of why he struggled in the AHL. His style requires his team to have some structure. Nurse, on the other hand, will likely tear up the AHL and as such I want him to start there and hopefully work on his offense. He's imo our best shot at a #1 and needs to develop some real offense to ever get there.

Nurse is an interesting case. Some people feel he's too offensively minded and too rush heavy, others feel like he needs to develop his offence more.

Nurse, to me, is a guy that would develop better against NHLers, but there's nothing wrong with him starting in the AHL like Klefbom did. Play solid defence and put up 15 points in 20 games. Force management into making a move.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse is an interesting case. Some people feel he's too offensively minded and too rush heavy, others feel like he needs to develop his offence more.

Nurse, to me, is a guy that would develop better against NHLers, but there's nothing wrong with him starting in the AHL like Klefbom did. Play solid defence and put up 15 points in 20 games. Force management into making a move.
I feel like Nurse would develop better here but needs a bit in the ahl first just to adapt to player size and strength a bit

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Oh hey, you did respond! Thanks for that.

I am always confused by people who say he's too offensively minded. I prefer the term 'trying to do too much'. He, IMO, has a poor mind for the offensive side of the game, but tries to make up for it with effort. Hence I feel like experimenting against poorer competition would help with that.

Also no shame in the 1/5 predictions... I'm pretty sure I'd have been right there with you on 4/5 of the predictions. Most of us would be pretty off.

edit: Poor Pitlick looks rather ah...dopey... in that picture.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oh hey, you did respond! Thanks for that.

I am always confused by people who say he's too offensively minded. I prefer the term 'trying to do too much'. He, IMO, has a poor mind for the offensive side of the game, but tries to make up for it with effort. Hence I feel like experimenting against poorer competition would help with that.

Also no shame in the 1/5 predictions... I'm pretty sure I'd have been right there with you on 4/5 of the predictions. Most of us would be pretty off.

edit: Poor Pitlick looks rather ah...dopey... in that picture.

I think he thinks the offensive side fairly well, but your way might have been the better way to say it. He also needs to remember that he will never outskate the puck.

Yeah...he does...but I'm okay with that.

The article had been with the editor for a little bit (and I picked my winners two weeks ago), so I could have edited it, but I thought my going 1 for 5 was funnier, plus TrashBoat had already done the gifs.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I think he thinks the offensive side fairly well, but your way might have been the better way to say it. He also needs to remember that he will never outskate the puck.

Yeah...he does...but I'm okay with that.

Can you give an example of how he thinks it well? For my side of things, I'd say a great example of the effort but lack of IQ is how he is always trying to rush the puck in alone. He doesn't mix it up ever it seems. He just rushes in alone and hopes there's a passing lane open.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can you give an example of how he thinks it well? For my side of things, I'd say a great example of the effort but lack of IQ is how he is always trying to rush the puck in alone. He doesn't mix it up ever it seems. He just rushes in alone and hopes there's a passing lane open.

He seems to pick his spots pretty well - can you remember a time when he rushed the puck and turned it over, or wasnt' able to get back? I can't.

Now, he shouldn't get overly used to that, because if he tries that against a Weber or a Doughty they will eat his lunch and send a 2 on 1 back the other way.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He seems to pick his spots pretty well - can you remember a time when he rushed the puck and turned it over, or wasnt' able to get back? I can't.

Now, he shouldn't get overly used to that, because if he tries that against a Weber or a Doughty they will eat his lunch and send a 2 on 1 back the other way.

Hmmm. I suppose that's a good point. I can't really recall a lot of moments where he straight up loses the puck. But still, I'd love if he could learn how to one time and QB a PP in the AHL, haha.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
I think your articles highlight how unpredictable this training camp was. If you had showed me this beforehand my predictions would've matched with 4/5 of yours. And the other 1 (scrivens) wouldn't have shocked me to see go the way you said.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad