Cammalleri, Versteeg, Fleischmann, Smid

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Whats up guys?

I'm not gonna propose anything crazy but I know Calgary, Florida, and possibly Edmonton might be moving some pieces. There is talk of a Florida fire sale and Calgary is seeing their young guys produce and will most likely move some vets. And Edmonton fans seem to think they are going to have a bigger deal made after moving Mike Brown to free up a contract spot.

Granted, Cammy and Fleisch are both in their last years of deals but I could definitely see both re-signing here. Smid would be a good fit but do we have the room on the blue line?

I see it like this, we have an abnormal influx of good forward prospects now and some could be expendable. Now personally, I cannot stand the sight of Matt Hendricks on our ice. I used to like the toughness and him standing up for teammates but the fact is, he is god-awful. Nystrom has shown he can play a two way game and chip in scoring. Matt Cullen is a good offensive, powerplay guy. And I'm still holding out for Stalberg.

According to cap geek we have: $3,904,524 cap space.

Versteeg - $4.4m thru 2015-2016; UFA 2016-2017
Flesichmann- $4.5m thru 2014-2015: UFA 2015-2016
Cammalleri- $6.0m in last year of deal
Smid- $3.5m thru 2016-2017: UFA 2017-2018

3 proposals, I'll admit, I didn't sit for a long time and think about these but I'm gonna put them out there.

FLA: Ryan Ellis, Josh Shalla (maybe a pick)
NSH: Kris Versteeg

CGY: Nick Spaling, 4th RD
NSH: Mike Cammalleri

and this one is just for (sh*** & gigs)
PHI: Austin Watson, Joonas Rask, 1st/2nd RD
NSH: Jake Voracek
(probably add to this one?)

the motto for these proposals: offense.

I know some of you will say cammy doesn't score or flash isn't what we need. Fact is, they would work very well with smith, wilson, forsberg, etc.

Also, I just couldn't come up with proposals for flash or smid so if you have one, let it ride. Let's get interesting...

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Please no to Cammalleri. He would be an awful fit for us, and I'm wary of him being able to perform anywhere but Calgary at this point.

Flash is an injury risk, but I would bite, depending on the price. Prospect/roster player and a non-1st round pick, if Florida is really wanting to move him. Not worth more than that for a UFA.

Problem with Voracek is we already have Hornqvist, Bourque, Forsberg, Smith, Stalberg, and Beck as capable of playing top 6 wing. If we bring in Voracek, then we need to be sending one of them in return. I'd prefer to keep Watson, as I see him being Legwand after Legwand moves on, albeit probably less offensive upside.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Flash actually has 2 years including this one left on his deal.

And here's how I see it. We're always going after TWF, that's ok to some degree but we need to focus more offensively with top 6 forwards in my opinion. You need to have guys that understand both sides but I'd take the point totals that Flash is still capable of producing and his somewhat of a liability on D any day rather than another grinder or TWF. We've been building that sort of thing for such a long time and we can barely crack the first round.

As for Voracek, I don't know who out of the crop mentioned I would send his way. Beck is a possibility but I don't wanna throw that name out there because I know it would cause an uproar to our fan base. If we do send Beck, remember we still have Aberg and Sissons that are just as capable as Beck IMO.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Voracek is about the only one I want now. Tired of older middlin' guys on the downhill side. Team need top tier offensive talent. And I know we'd have to really pay for that. I'd make Jones, Weber, Wilson and Forsberg untouchable and mortgage the farm for top tier guys.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
we are building towards the future. had Suter stayed, we'd by trying to ice a Cup competitive team right now, and trades like some of these might be considered.

But I think we really are trying to get everything line up for next year and the year after that at the earliest. this year will be a combination of restoring respectability and letting some of the youth cut their teeth

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013
we are building towards the future. had Suter stayed, we'd by trying to ice a Cup competitive team right now, and trades like some of these might be considered.

But I think we really are trying to get everything line up for next year and the year after that at the earliest. this year will be a combination of restoring respectability and letting some of the youth cut their teeth

Agreed.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Yeah, agreed. I feel like the plan was to gradually turn this roster over into a younger squad back when we parted ways with Arnott, Dumont, Sullivan, etc..., but the Suter departure, Radulov fiasco, and the like threw us off the tracks a bit. We have some expensive filler, but I feel like the organization is on the right path over the next few years.

That said, I'd still consider bringing some of these names in, but not for significant assets or picks. A winger or two, and a few of our second-tier prospects and later picks I could see us part with, depending on the piece, but nothing more than that unless it is a surefire elite player.

Last edited:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Don't think that holds much appeal for the Panthers. If they're unloading Flash, they're looking to get younger pieces and draft picks back to help build around. Legwand doesn't really do anything for a complete also-ran.

Throw in a young forward . But it was an off hand thought

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad