Cam Talbot's new Oilers mask

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Garbage butt ugly mask. If it was brown it would look like it was swimming in feces.

With any graphic possible this is what a goalie is going to want? Cartoon imagery? Dubnyk part 2?

Do people put these goalies to bed and read bedtime stories? Milk and cookies? :laugh:

Something about Talbots presentation reminds me of J Schultz. Not sure what it is.

looks like a kid trying to grow a beard.

"Slimer mtask, cradle of stupidity"

It's a goddamn mask! When was the last time you agreed with anything? I'm all for freedom of speech, but you sir are really a buzzkill. Every thread.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Talbot seems to like it, which seems to be the most important aspect in whether or not the mask will be used...

So, get used to it!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not even the ugliest Oiler mask of the last 4-5 years

ilya-bryzgalov-01052014-e1393658126950.jpg

Fasth-Full.jpg

24-jeff-deslauriers.jpg

Duby's last one (the Ranford style throwback) was nice ... too bad he played so badly in it that it almost ended his NHL career.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

hahaha

welldone.

I got plenty of buzz about the Esks at the moment with Franklin at QB. Expect I'll have more about the Oilers when the winning starts.

Buzzed about the mostly good weather and summer we've had.

While the most of you are looking forward to hockey season I'm hitting the trails every day. Just great summer for outdoor activity of any kind.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
hahaha

welldone.

I got plenty of buzz about the Esks at the moment with Franklin at QB. Expect I'll have more about the Oilers when the winning starts.

Buzzed about the mostly good weather and summer we've had.

While the most of you are looking forward to hockey season I'm hitting the trails every day. Just great summer for outdoor activity of any kind.

ObPwDAX.jpg

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Meh, pretty nice to put your kid's work on there
Khabibulin's mask was fine. If you want to go for the goofy look then having it done by your own kids would be something that would at least make it meaningful to the player.
I would have thought any fan would understand that. Apparently not though.

This new Talbot mask is not that great imo. It looks over designed. Lets face it, there's only so much space on a mask and the only time it get viewed by the public is during games when most people can't see the little googly eyed monster on the back or whatever. It just seems like overkill on "concept" for something that should be more about color. From a distance most people would just look at that mask and say "what is it".

Talbot's head though. I guess he can wear whatever he wants as long as he stops some pucks.

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Maybe his secret weapon is that his mask will force opposition players to avert their eyes from the net?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Runaway winner for worst mask. Awful.

its worthy of mention that that mask, and the current slime mask are made by the same "Daveart"

Both are garbage, so many similarities in design elements as well and to me just looks like a lot of fill and very little image. Which is odd considering a mask is a small artwork to begin with. It requires fill? who knew?

These are silly designs where from row 20 its impossible to even get the reference or what that is. An artwork should be designed to be viewed, to be seen, and look like something from usual perspective. Somebody tell Dave that these images don't come off at all.

looks like the untalented work of a kid that got busy with marking felt pens. That's about it.

Oh, and just what we needed last year, another clown in net, sheer genius..

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
When the lights go down to start the game and it glows for the first time I think it'll be pretty sweet!

In the end if he likes it and stops the puck he could have a my little pony themed mask and I'd still cheer for him!

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I wouldn't normally comment on a players mask. I may be conservative on the matter, but i think it should always be more representative of the organization first then your own creativity rather than the other way around.

As a player your still representing a team and a league.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
id take a goalie wearing a clown wig as long as he stops more shots than the previous tenders

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
its worthy of mention that that mask, and the current slime mask are made by the same "Daveart"

Both are garbage, so many similarities in design elements as well and to me just looks like a lot of fill and very little image. Which is odd considering a mask is a small artwork to begin with. It requires fill? who knew?

These are silly designs where from row 20 its impossible to even get the reference or what that is. An artwork should be designed to be viewed, to be seen, and look like something from usual perspective. Somebody tell Dave that these images don't come off at all.

looks like the untalented work of a kid that got busy with marking felt pens. That's about it.

Oh, and just what we needed last year, another clown in net, sheer genius..

I'm in this camp as well, with respect to what I think is a good looking mask. I'm not one for a mess of squiggly lines and clutter.

I was browsing the daveart website and I noticed a theme. It was the theme of somebody who was fairly one dimensional in his design concepts. (Before I'm jumped on, no I could not come close to anything resembling his quality of work, but seeing as how we're critiquing artists...) It left the impression of a kid who finally learned how to draw splashing liquid, and thus felt the need to incorporate it in every single piece of work. :D

Clearly a whole lot of people including piles of NHL goalies disagree with my opinion. I'm good with that.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I'm in this camp as well, with respect to what I think is a good looking mask. I'm not one for a mess of squiggly lines and clutter.

I was browsing the daveart website and I noticed a theme. It was the theme of somebody who was fairly one dimensional in his design concepts. (Before I'm jumped on, no I could not come close to anything resembling his quality of work, but seeing as how we're critiquing artists...) It left the impression of a kid who finally learned how to draw splashing liquid, and thus felt the need to incorporate it in every single piece of work. :D

Clearly a whole lot of people including piles of NHL goalies disagree with my opinion. I'm good with that.

Good post.

I know some people that are graduated Graphics designers that learned and continue to learn what makes for effective design and getting images to leap off a print no matter how small, how big.

In the case of "Daveart" all his work is the same because it looks like its all he's got. I personally know a dozen people with more artistic ability than this guy is presenting and yet he's getting some big league customers for this very limited work.

Theres several people on this board possessed of much more artistic ability. It seems for some reason Daveart's shtick sells with goalies.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

No one is going to jump on you for that. Daveart is reviled by hockey fans, as he should be. Most of his masks are just an absolute ugly mess of nonsense and lens flares.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
I wouldn't normally comment on a players mask. I may be conservative on the matter, but i think it should always be more representative of the organization first then your own creativity rather than the other way around.

As a player your still representing a team and a league.

See I kind of like goalies that have a theme and run with it. I think its cool. (ex. Ed Belfour)
Now whether its done right is a different story, but in theory I like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad