Player Discussion Cam Talbot

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
:shakehead He looks nothing like Scrivens.

Came from a team that had a great goalie/defence playing in front of him.

Had good stats on his previous team.

Around the same age.

Goes to the Oilers and flops.

Throws critical points away by letting in deflating goals.

He's just not the goalie we need. The Oilers messed up again. I'm praying for Laurent B in the AHL to be the guy now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
:handclap:

Absolutely spot on.

With the only addition that not only D, but team application to D and system play is at fault here. The Oilers played a monumentally stupid game last night. The type of game we are quite faimilar with and that looks uncoached. Because quite clearly the Oilers gave limited adherence to any coaching plan which flew out the window by the 3rd shift.

This is really concerning. Because we played very poorly in the last two games. Really if one looks at it we played poolly against Washington and Minny as well.

Is this team once again giving up? Or ignoring system play.

They aren't giving up or ignoring system play, they just aren't good enough to execute any system
They are playing shorthanded most of the game with Ference, who is absolutely beyond done and an utter disaster every time on the ice, and Davidson (despite the nice goal) on 2 separate pairings.
Add in Sekera who looks clueless in his own end most of the time and Nurse who is expected to carry too much of a load too soon along with Klefbom who gets caught watching a lot of times in the D zone and it's an utter nightmare for any goalie to deal with.

The problem as I see it is that $9.5M is now used up long term on players who are going to have a hard time living up to it. I liked the Sekera signing a lot at the time but this is a very different player than the one I thought the Oilers were getting and I didn't like the Klefbom signing from the beginning. Not only was it way too soon to commit to this player long term but I think it's also put unnecessary pressure on the player to live up to the contract. Now, their options are limited because all this money is tied up into players who quite simply haven't earned it.

I understand that a lot of money is coming off the cap this offseason but it doesn't matter because that money is going to McDavid, Draisaitl and Nurse when their extensions kick in 2 short seasons thereafter and probably huge contracts to each if the Klefbom negotiations are any indication so it's going to be exceedingly difficult to beef up the defense in any meaningful way.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Came from a team that had a great goalie/defence playing in front of him.

Had good stats on his previous team.

Around the same age.

Goes to the Oilers and flops.

Throws critical points away by letting in deflating goals.

He's just not the goalie we need. The Oilers messed up again. I'm praying for Laurent B in the AHL to be the guy now.
Give me a break. He's had one bad game since he's been here. Until he starts giving up weak, back breaking goals every game, he looks nothing like Scrivens.

Where are all these deflating goals at critical points (besides the obvious one last night)?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Give me a break. He's had one bad game since he's been here. Until he starts giving up weak, back breaking goals every game, he looks nothing like Scrivens.

Where are all these deflating goals at critical points (besides the obvious one last night)?

Agreed, 2 bad plays on the season does not make him Scrivens. Scrivens would have at least a couple of brutal mishandles of the puck in a game, Talbot prior to that GA has been good to very good at moving the puck. He has held us in every game that he's been it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Agreed, 2 bad plays on the season does not make him Scrivens. Scrivens would have at least a couple of brutal mishandles of the puck in a game, Talbot prior to that GA has been good to very good at moving the puck. He has held us in every game that he's been it.

How long before he gives up on the Oilers? They've given him almost nothing to work with.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He's due for a contract. He's not giving up on anything.

Sure didn't seem to motivate Fasth at all.

This is a goalie graveyard. The times where Talbot play well the team did nothing for him, so of course the time he doesn't play well... They still **** the bed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Sure didn't seem to motivate Fasth at all.

This is a goalie graveyard. The times where Talbot play well the team did nothing for him, so of course the time he doesn't play well... They still **** the bed.

No argument there. I just don't see him giving up on the team.
I fully believe that Talbot is better than Fastivens, he just needs better support. I trust Chia to get this done but it won't be easy.

Reinhart coming back healthy and getting Ference out of this lineup for good will certainly help the cause. I swear that Ference must have been solely responsible for about half of the scoring chances against the last two games. He singlehandedly killed the momentum the Oilers built up last night with several absurd turnovers that kept them hemmed in right after the Oilers were running the Flames out of the rink.
He can't see the ice again as an Oiler, he just can't. If Mclellan doesn't realize that, Ference should be a good "leader" and acknowledge that he's hurting the team and step away.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He's a good goalie who has been playing as best as can be expected. The team in front of him is not playing well. I can't think of another team that is so much less than the sum of it's parts than the Oilers.

He was bound to have a bad game eventually.

The Oilers will break him by the end of the season if this keeps up. This runs the risk of making it hard for the Oilers to attract a FA goalie or a goalie on a NTC if the team can't fix it's issues which are outside the crease.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
He is a good goalie and mentally strong. He had a game in the preseason where he handled the puck like a grenade. I have not seen him do that since that game, odd how it shows up last night. I still have issue with how few quality prospects we have in the Goalie or for that matter any position. With our new scouting staff maybe we can finally turn that around.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Listen to his post game scrum from last night. He took full blame for the loss. Good on him for being a stand up guy.

space321

May 11, 2011
Ugh bad game from him, but why does it have to be against the flames? Why couldn't it be some random team from the East :(

Kohr

Mar 30, 2013
Pretty sure goalies like Price & Lundqvist have the odd bad game here and there.. Not saying Talbot is among that grouping, but he's good enough to rebound from a bad game and come back with a few good one's. Still 100% confident in our goaltending.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Good goalie. Don't worry about him. Worry about the D. That, and the 3rd and 4th lines, r the problems with this team.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
I think people are reading too much into last night's last minute goal. And the game itself for that matter. The Flames played maybe their best game of the season and got every bounce in the book. They got a gift in the form of a legitimate goal that was called back on a terrible review that ultimately decided the outcome. And the last goal, while it should have been stopped, came on a shot that will go in once out of every 50 times it's attempted.

That's one side of the coin.

The other side of the coin is that a good team, which the Oilers are not, can overcome a bad break or two. It all comes down, as it has for years, to team defence. This is a group that may be clearly starting to show that they are uncoachable when it comes to the finer points of the game. It's not a matter of will or desire, or a byproduct of a system that doesn't work or isn't being attempted. This is a team for which half of the squad consists of individuals who are simply not complete hockey players, and probably never will be.

You address these deficiencies through the office of the GM. This is going to be where Chiarrelli's abilities are going to be challenged like never before. Whether he's capable to do it remains to be seen. But this team is still broken and fixing it, if it can be done, is going to take longer than a lot of people think.

Last edited:

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
He's a great goalie IMO. Couple bad bounces last game and a few deflections and everyone's at his throat. Pretty unfair if you ask me.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
He's a great goalie IMO. Couple bad bounces last game and a few deflections and everyone's at his throat. Pretty unfair if you ask me.

Our problem is confidence in our backup right now. Talbot is our clear number 1 but he's human like all other 1'S. If we can't spell off talbot correctly, that's when we run into trouble.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Our problem is confidence in our backup right now. Talbot is our clear number 1 but he's human like all other 1'S. If we can't spell off talbot correctly, that's when we run into trouble.

Nilsson was very good in 2/3 games he played. It's too early to abandon confidence in him IMO.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Nilsson was very good in 2/3 games he played. It's too early to abandon confidence in him IMO.

I agree with u but the coach can't spell off talbot like he wants too because of questions with nilsson. I like nilsson too but our sloppy play and quality chances against during the first few games make it hard for nilsson to gain confidence. Several good goalies failed in Edmonton due to this effect.

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
They need to split starts between Talbot and Nilsson instead of giving Cam all the starts

That's what coach did until nilsson got destroyed that one game (not really his fault). Call up scrivens for a couple games, let nilsson get game some action on the farm, then bring him back. It still remains to be seen who our backup should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad