Cam Talbot - Mod warning #251

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I don't buy the love story about why he stayed.

I think it has more to do with $1.45M being a nice figure for a backup goalie and, before 20 games ago, nobody in the world thought he'd be in consideration to be a full-time NHL starter.

Anyway, the cheap price tag could/should play into his trade value for a team that would be foolish enough to take a gamble on him as a starter.

You think he stayed because he had no other option? You're lost in the sauce if you think teams weren't interested in a back up goaltender that still succeeded in his role, going 12-6 the year prior...

This 'love story' you criticize does make sense if you think about it. ;)

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Can someone please explain the trade scenario for Talbot? He signed a one year extension for $1.45 million. He told the press he took it because he wanted to stay in NY and continue working with Allaire. Maybe that's just talk, I don't know. What I want to know is if a team acquired him, would he still only make 1.45 as a starter for next year? How does this work? I am guessing that all these guys would love to play anywhere even for a pittance but it doesn't sound quite fair to me.

But he also said he wanted a shot at a number one spot somewhere down the line, knowing that the chance of it being as a Ranger is practically non-existing with Hank here. That make it highly unlikely for him to stay past next season, especially the way he has played. Then it comes down to business for both the team and Talbot. I'm sure he could have signed a longer deal last year, but wouldn't commit to being a career backup.

Talbot has in essence played himself into a starting role in the future this season. He had good numbers from last year, but has proved that he can be a number one in Hank's absent. I would be shocked if there were no team that has him on their radar for next year. If the offer is enticing enough you pull the trigger on the deal.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
But he also said he wanted a shot at a number one spot somewhere down the line, knowing that the chance of it being as a Ranger is practically non-existing with Hank here. That make it highly unlikely for him to stay past next season, especially the way he has played. Then it comes down to business for both the team and Talbot. I'm sure he could have signed a longer deal last year, but wouldn't commit to being a career backup.

Talbot has in essence played himself into a starting role in the future this season. He had good numbers from last year, but has proved that he can be a number one in Hank's absent. I would be shocked if there were no team that has him on their radar for next year. If the offer is enticing enough you pull the trigger on the deal.

I agree wholeheartedly. Talbot wants to start somewhere eventually, and I would be 100% for trading him this off season to get the best value in return for him.

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
Specifically I am wondering if he were traded this summer, could the acquiring team use him as a starter for the whole year and pay him only 1.45 million? I understand the team is taking a chance, but if it worked out for them that is all he would get? He signed a contract to be a backup goalie, not a starter, but I am wondering if this is a distinction covered in the contract.

On a related note, are players' contracts available to the public?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Huh? Talbot is in the top 1/3rd of the NHL goalies this season. He's THE top goalie in the NHL over the past 12 months (min 40 games played). There's no foolishness here, teams need goaltending and we have it to offer

He has, literally, the best team in the NHL in front of him. Circumstances have changed drastically compared to Lundqvist's first 6 or 7 years in the league where he literally carried the team on his back.

I think most teams would've realized that, and wouldn't be falling over themselves to sign Cam Talbot.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
You think he stayed because he had no other option? You're lost in the sauce if you think teams weren't interested in a back up goaltender that still succeeded in his role, going 12-6 the year prior...

This 'love story' you criticize does make sense if you think about it. ;)

Absolutely, that played a role in it.

Circumstances have changed in the last 20 games, but theres not a team in the world that would've signed Talbot to a 1.45M contract in the offseason had Lundqvist not went down.

Hes proven a lot more over these 20 games but, like I said, I don't envision teams absolutely fawning over the guy.

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Specifically I am wondering if he were traded this summer, could the acquiring team use him as a starter for the whole year and pay him only 1.45 million? I understand the team is taking a chance, but if it worked out for them that is all he would get? He signed a contract to be a backup goalie, not a starter, but I am wondering if this is a distinction covered in the contract.

On a related note, are players' contracts available to the public?

The only salary that changes dependent on the role is if you have a two-way deal and get sent down to the minors. The role you have has nothing to do with what you get paid. If we were to use Hank as a backup and start Talbot next year we would still have to pay Hank his 8.5 a year salary. Talbot will play for the same salary as now regardless of role and team until his current deal expires at the end of next year.

nyhockeyfan

Apr 9, 2014
Are the contracts available somewhere for the public to read them? How do you know exactly what is in them?

I remember hearing a few years ago when Cory Schneider was looking that he wanted a contractual guarantee he would be a starter. So I am wondering what kinds of detail the contracts go into about the role the player will have. For example, is it possible it is in Lundqvist's contract that he has to start at least a majority of games if he is healthy? Is it possible it is in Talbot's contract that his salary would get bumped up if he played more?

Just wondering how people know what is in the contracts.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
New York Rangers ‏@NYRangers 22m 22 minutes ago
#NYR @ctalbot33: 5th-best GAA in the first 50GP of his NHL career among those who made their NHL debut in modern era (1943-44). @EliasSports

Go Cam. :handclap:

KingStian

Jan 8, 2011
Are the contracts available somewhere for the public to read them? How do you know exactly what is in them?

I remember hearing a few years ago when Cory Schneider was looking that he wanted a contractual guarantee he would be a starter. So I am wondering what kinds of detail the contracts go into about the role the player will have. For example, is it possible it is in Lundqvist's contract that he has to start at least a majority of games if he is healthy? Is it possible it is in Talbot's contract that his salary would get bumped up if he played more?

Just wondering how people know what is in the contracts.

There is nowhere you can go and actually read a copy of the contract. The info we as fans know from the contract is based on news reports and interviews mostly.

Some players might have special clauses in their contract, but when it comes to salary we live in a hard cap era, so clauses of different salary based on the dept chart I don't think exist. There are some contracts that contains bonuses based on performances. Kevin Hayes has one for exceeding 20 goals if I'm not mistaken. But the base salary will be the same for Talbot if he starts 15-20 games as a backup or 60+ games a starter. And I don't think he has a lot of bonuses in his deal.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
T-Bone sure increased his trade value this game on national TV. He was our star of the game by a wide, WIDE margin.

NYRangers84

President's Trophy
Nov 21, 2009
New York
Player in media on teammate: "He's been very good, but he still needs to prove himself more."

Let me know when that ever happens.

2013/2014 season
Lundqvist- .920 save %
Talbot- .941 save %

2014/2015 season
Lundqvist- .922 save %
Talbot- .928 save %

:biglaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
2013/2014 season
Lundqvist- .920 save %
Talbot- .941 save %

2014/2015 season
Lundqvist- .922 save %
Talbot- .928 save %

Does it make you feel good inside to know you are the sole reason that on HFNYR we can't be happy about Talbot's success together? That you are the only thing standing in the way of a harmonious celebration?

Just wondering what your motive is.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
2013/2014 season
Lundqvist- .920 save %
Talbot- .941 save %

2014/2015 season
Lundqvist- .922 save %
Talbot- .928 save %

Lundqvist:

Only goaltender in NHL history to record 30 wins in each of first seven seasons.
Most shutouts by a goaltender in Madison Square Garden.
New York Rangers club record, games played, single season: 73 (2009–10).
The Rangers all-time leader in shutouts---regular-season and playoffs combined.
Most wins (309) by a New York Rangers goaltender.
Most shutouts (50) by a New York Rangers goaltender.
Most Playoffs wins (43) by a New York Rangers goaltender.
Consecutive Game 7 wins (5).

Not to mention countless Vezina nominations and the win itself.

Talbot has done very well for the Rangers during this stretch. But until he can hold those numbers over 7-8 years and nearly single-handedly drag a team like the Oilers to be an annual playoff team, he's just a good backup that is still wet behind the ears and has had one of the best teams in the league in front of him between this year and last.

Wolfy*

Talbot has turned into a great goalie, he deserves a much bigger salary, so the Rangers will probably lose him when he becomes a UFA. Skapski looks like a pretty good backup goalie to replace him.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
2013/2014 season
Lundqvist- .920 save %
Talbot- .941 save %

2014/2015 season
Lundqvist- .922 save %
Talbot- .928 save %

Oh boy, now you're just making yourself look silly.

Carey Price CAREER: .919 SV%
Mackenzie Skapski CAREER: .978 SV%

Cherry picking stats is so stupid.

As another poster said, you're making it hard for us to enjoy Talbot's success. Why can't we be happy that our backup has played extremely well while still knowing Hank is still a top 3 goalie in the world and he's the unquestioned starter?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
2013/2014 season
Lundqvist- .920 save %
Talbot- .941 save %

2014/2015 season
Lundqvist- .922 save %
Talbot- .928 save %

A. That has absolutely nothing to do with sample size, which is the main (and frankly only) hit against Talbot at this point.

B. I've asked maybe 6 times now and you've never, ever responded, so I'm not holding my breath here. But, how is it in anyway fair to compare Talbot and Hank's SV% when, until this patch of games right here, Talbot was playing games hand picked for the backup (AKA the easiest games on the schedule) and Hank was playing the hard games AND playoff games, which are the hardest games?

Last edited:

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
All kidding aside, Sather REALLY does need to explore shipping Talbot to the Oilers sometime next season. Talbot wants to be a starter and he would absolutely be the starter there, so he will sign with them (so the whole "rental" argument should get thrown out the garbage).

We could probably get a really nice haul for him from the Oilers who are going to be very desperate for him.

Do a sign and trade to the Oilers, get a good return back, then sign a washed up goalie to be our backup(there is always a bunch sitting around). Or use Slapski. With Slapski, Halverson, and Shesterkin in our pipeline, we are good with goalies.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
People really need to cool their jets with Talbot's trade value expectations.

Scrivens had amazing stats in Quick's absence as a starter for the Kings last year. Fasth had good numbers in a significant number of games for the Ducks. Neither has worked out in Edmonton.

Point is, Talbot hasn't proven much more here than Scrivens at the time in LA. Oilers already got burned and despite Scrivens' numbers in LA, all he returned was I believe a 3rd round draft pick.

Talbot won't be the only guy potentially available in the summer. Hammond from Ottawa is slated to be UFA. They will also be moving either Anderson or more likely Lehner. Dubnyk is a UFA this summer. Lack is likely to be on the market in Vancouver. Check out Pickard's stats for Colorado this year. They don't need him long term with Varlamov there. Martin Jones is RFA in LA. There's Mrazek in Detroit. Tampa might throw Bishop on the market if he isn't great in the play-offs, with Vasilevsky in the fold already. Hell, our friend Scott Darling has great stats this year.

The goalie market is flooded. More goalies with potential than starting jobs at NHL level. I'm 99% sure most Talbot fans on this board will be disappointed with the return if he's traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad