Prospect Info: Cam Squires (#122 Pick - 4th round - 2023 Draft)

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Scott Wheeler thinks highly of him. Had him ranked #90

"Squires scored 30 goals and 70 points in 71 combined regular-season and playoff games with Cape Breton this year, good for third on the Eagles in the regular season and first in their four-game sweep to Halifax in the first round of the Q playoffs. He’s one of the most intelligent players in the draft, with advanced instincts on and off the puck, a great attention to detail, and a mind and feel for spacing and timing on the ice. He’s also got a ton of runway in front him physically to fill out his frame and find another level. I like his skill level and sense and while his play away from the puck isn’t a strength, he has made progress in rounding out his game and I debated ranking him higher here."

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
TV said very good skater, this report says it needs work.

Skinny kid for sure.

Button has him 87th.

Think I like this pick, I assume he's going the college route?

Scott Wheeler thinks highly of him. Had him ranked #90

"Squires scored 30 goals and 70 points in 71 combined regular-season and playoff games with Cape Breton this year, good for third on the Eagles in the regular season and first in their four-game sweep to Halifax in the first round of the Q playoffs. He’s one of the most intelligent players in the draft, with advanced instincts on and off the puck, a great attention to detail, and a mind and feel for spacing and timing on the ice. He’s also got a ton of runway in front him physically to fill out his frame and find another level. I like his skill level and sense and while his play away from the puck isn’t a strength, he has made progress in rounding out his game and I debated ranking him higher here."
Very much like this write up. 90th, and debated ranking him higher.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Three very pretty primary assists in this playoff game.

I wonder how intentional that first one is. Was he just throwing it in front, or was he really putting that on that guys stick? A real beauty if that latter.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
We will see hopefully once they are selected hope for best but some good defenseman that could have been added....

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I wonder how intentional that first one is. Was he just throwing it in front, or was he really putting that on that guys stick? A real beauty if that latter.
Probably just throwing at the front to a danger area, but the second assist was also somewhat a blind pass to the same linemate in a similar area, so seems to have a general sense of where his linemate will be

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
So with Squires, I had him ranked as an honorable mention, which is fair game to me at 122. Loved his progression. Went from a complete no name at the start of the year to a halfway decent prospect. I don't know if there's anything he does exceptionally well, there's a bit of scoring, a bit of physicality, some decent playmaking, and in general he's just someone I'd feel comfortable having on the ice. Super smart player, very obvious pro mentality to how he approaches the game, he's not gonna put you at risk trying to do more than he should. Again, sort of in the Hameenaho mold, this feels like a player type you try to trade for at the deadline to bolster your bottom 6. Is that the best use of a draft pick? Ehh. But 122 is ok, I'm pretty sure Button is a fan of his. Now clearly, I don't view him as a high skill player. I won't even come out and say what I think the likelihood of him making the NHL is. I'm fine with the compete but it's not quite high end enough that, when combined with his meh skating, I can project him like that. But what I will say is, the rapid progression over the course of the season is at least interesting to me and could lead to more being under the hood than we currently see. By far, though, the best part about this kid is his character. I'm not just hyping up anyone, he's been majorly invested in community outreach, and from his interviews you can tell it truly matters to him. This is a special level of character I don't commonly see get highlighted in draft eligibles. Not that anyone really wants that to be my favorite part of this selection lol but he deserves the recognition. Good kid, ok prospect, but oddly redundant to the Hameenaho selection.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

More guides and such (all the text from the screen grabs is quoted so people don’t go blind trying to read it).

6913A8FD-4ADC-4078-9AFA-5845B6E73095.jpeg
0E681164-14C9-4E12-BE49-F6B43B23E955.jpeg

Scout Series:
7E070C89-D5E9-4021-9DCF-CC1D56A0817D.jpeg

928720A8-AEC6-49CF-903C-0D23D46012C3.jpeg

Scout Series:
Expectations were high for Cam Squires to assume more responsibilities and become one of his team's main offensive catalysts. That's precisely what he accomplished by demonstrating his all-around skill set, his outstanding play down low and his relentless motor throughout the year. He ended up being one of the most productive first-year draft-eligible prospects from the QMJHL, despite playing for one of the league's worst teams. Squires exhibits quick hands in tight situations to evade pressure, exceptional vision and passing prowess.
Ranking:
Squires is a skilled, hard-nosed forward with a north-south game, exhibiting intensity and a strong work ethic down low. He effectively fights hard in front of the net, and his anticipation and stick placement help eliminate opponents' options. With quick shot release and the ability to find holes in the netminder, he poses a genuine scoring threat. Although Squires demonstrates awareness in covering the net-front in his own zone, he can sometimes be too focused on the puck and occasionally forgets his assignment when defending the rush. His wide stance and forward lean limit his mobility, but improvements in these areas could increase his explosiveness. As a stealthy forward with a slick set of hands, Squires thrives in tight spaces, displaying agility and spatial awareness. His smooth shot release is expected to improve further as he physically develops. Even though he can be outmuscled at times, his highly competitive nature and adaptability make him a valuable prospect. His battling in the net-front and along the boards is impres-sive. Squires is a fearless offensive scoring forward with quick reflexes, soft hands, and a high IQ. Squires' natural instinct to support pucks in both offensive and defensive ends allows him to gain puck possession without sacrificing speed, time, and space. With work on his skating stride and edges, he can become a versatile offensive asset by adding more shiftiness to his gameplay. Squires has the potential to be a valuable addition, offering a well-balanced offensive skillset, competitiveness, and adaptability.

With continued development and attention to the areas in need of improve-ment, Squires could develop into a top-six forward.

March 2023
DA674DE3-37F7-4025-A64A-60A709B0DC56.jpeg
EB240726-2ACF-48CA-BC5C-A5AD5D0C1DAA.jpeg

Squires is a stealthy forward with a slick set of hands who can move the puck to linemates or bulge the twine himself. I love his skills in tight spaces where his agility and spatial awareness allow him to maintain possession and attack the net from high traffic situations. He also has good off-puck play in open ice and in this game, he showed great ability to apply puck pressure, jump on the loose puck, and distance himself from his opponent. In one particular sequence,

Squires displayed great straightline acceleration, patience, and deception in his pre-shot approach and an accurate quick release. I've never found his shot to be powerful, but his release is so smooth that it jumps off the blade and seems even quicker than it actually is and he can get it off no matter if the puck away from his body or in by feet. It's scary to think how far his shot can come as he continues to physically develop.

Squires can be outmuscled at times, but he's clever and quickly adaptable to varied situations with a highly competitive nature all over the ice so that doesn't concern me. With the 2023 draft approaching, Squires looks like a potential top-six forward and could be a mid-round target at this point but it wouldn't be a surprise if some organizations valued him higher.
February 2023
A356BA13-68B3-47A1-9258-19F53BB31395.jpeg
5D5120DC-F93D-4A72-A061-D57F66D796D3.jpeg

Squires is a fearless offensive scoring forward with a knack for working down low and in tight to create any scoring opportunity possible. His ability to use quick reflexes and soft hands allow him to utilize his high hockey IQ to bury pucks in the net. By always battling hard in the net front and along the boards, it allows him to create open looks for teammates in high quality areas. What is most impressive is his natural instinct to support pucks in both the offensive and defensive ends. Squires positions himself to ultimately give him the best look at gaining puck possession without sacrificing to much speed, time, and space. He possesses an elite ability to shoot in stride and up close with his pure and powerful shot release. With some work on his skating stride and edges, Squires will become quite the offensive utility tool if he adds a bit more shiftiness to his gameplay. I believe he will be taken around the late third round of the 2023 draft.
February 2023
74756283-FEA0-4B55-A595-CD8542A7A405.jpeg
2BD02785-0C95-497A-AE30-E104AB0A439D.jpeg

Squires is a skilled, hard-nosed forward with a north-south game. He plays with a lot of intensity and rarely seems to take a shift off. His work down low is impeccable, as he inserts himself as a stingy presence around the net and fights hard in front of the opposing goalie. A smart player, he anticipates well and offers very good stick placement to eliminate the opponent's options. He displays good hands in-tight to escape pressure and doesn't waste much time feeding open teammates with precision, sometimes even without looking. He releases a quick shot from the flank and shows the ability to find holes though netminders.

Even in his own zone, Squires usually shows the awareness to cover his net front when his defensemen teammates battle for the puck in corners or behind their goalie. Alas, I find that he sometimes waits for the puck instead of taking open spaces to create better chances. He seems too focused on the puck and may forget his assignment when defending the rush because of that. He exhibits nice speed through his first steps, but he keeps his feet wide and leans forward a bit too much, which limits his mobility and prevents him from recovering with crossovers. He could become more explosive if he works on his skating mechanics and motion as he occasionally seems behind the play. I also saw him being a bit too aggressive at times, cheating on his forecheck coverage as he tried to double the puck carrier. He could show more consistency since he sporadically makes questionable plays. Essentially, Squires remains an intriguing prospect, offering a well-balanced offensive skillset paired with competitiveness. I wouldn't be surprised to hear his name called somewhere in the fifth round of the 2023 draft.

E9D1EE67-C2A0-4869-9F49-70E229A49729.jpeg

112 players ranked
AB234C62-FDF6-4589-85E2-E17F9C430B11.jpeg

How their ranking works
4F273FD2-3785-4B5D-89F5-60001DF75CC1.jpeg
A6CC3019-C9F7-46CE-A199-4DD9BAB4596D.jpeg
Cam Squires was selected in the 2nd round (22nd overall) by the Cape Breton Eagles in the 2021 OMJHL Draft and this was his 2nd season with the organization. He has spent the majority of his draft year playing W on the first line for the Eagles and has also spent a bit of time playing center. He finished the year with 30 goals and 64 points in 67 GP on an Eagles squad that has really struggled for the 2nd year in a row.

Squires can really shine at times on the offensive side of the puck. He uses above average hands to makes moves in tight or to fake out defenders close to the net. His playmaking is pretty good when in the transition game as he is able to send nice crisp breakout passes to teammates. However, in the offensive zone he is way too trigger happy, sending shots from all over the place instead of looking for passing lanes. He has a sneaky quick release that allows him to score goals from in tight but lacks the shot power to score from the perimeter on a regular basis.

We would say that his skating is good. Because of good explosiveness, he can be very effective in the transition game and on the forecheck. However, there are some limitations when it comes to footwork mainly when it comes to his edgework, which could be a useful tool when creating separation, but he hasn't properly developed it. We also find that he can be seen gliding far too often on the ice and that reduces his ability to win 1 on 1's and cover opposing players.

We find that Squires could really improve on the defensive side of the puck, particularly when he is playing at the center position. To be quite honest, sometimes he just seems disinterested in playing defensively at all. In multiple viewings this season he was far too passive on the puck carrier or would just totally miss defensive assignments. He never seems to have much urgency on the backcheck and often gets caught going to the transition game too early. He is a pretty good forechecker as he uses his speed to put pressure on the puck carrier. Sometimes he can show good anticipation and we find that he can have a pretty active stick but other than that, we see many holes in his defensive game.

For now, Squires seems like he will be a really good junior player but not worth the gamble in the upcoming draft. We say that, because while his offensive skillset is decent, he does not have enough qualities to be a top 6 player at the next level. He is also severely limited on the defensive side of the puck which means that he would not be very effective in a bottom 6 role. An organization might take a shot on him in the later rounds for offensive instincts and net front play, but we feel that their will be better players available at any point in the draft.

8CA8C5BA-0FEF-4C5D-A857-0BAC077DF11F.jpeg
6A5C8DD9-CCF7-4D1D-AF7F-D676EDC94DFC.jpeg

Offensively, Squires had a good game. He uses good speed to find open ice and be effective on the counter attack. He scored the only goal of the game for the Eagles on a sneaky little shot from the slot. We found that he couldve passed a little more as he would sometimes kill offensive chances by launching the puck on net from a bad angle instead of finding open teammates.

Defensively, he was almost non-existent. Apart from a few hits delivered on the forecheck or down low, Squires looked like he didnt even want to play defense at times.

Its not just that he dosen't play physical, he shows a clear lack of even wanting to get involved in the defensive game by not pressuring the puck carrier when its on his side of the ice and not even trying to have an active stick to get in the way of passing lanes. He was often seen just coasting in the defensive zone, only to activate once his team regained possession of the puck. This will not fly if he wants to succeed at the next level.

136 players ranked
E62DD4D8-DCF4-4C6F-9F89-D3518625ED7C.jpeg
A0926B3B-D238-4C72-8562-B4F67113D268.jpeg
C1CC345A-5AAC-4E31-AE16-472600DEFF0E.jpeg

GAME REPORTS

David St-Louis: April 1st, 2023 - Cape Breton Eagles vs. Halifax Mooseheads - QMJHL

Squires is a passer first and foremost. He picked up three assists in this one and they were nice. Some fakes followed by behind-the-back passes and precise feeds, ahead of teammates, inside space. His awareness is mostly a positive, but he also misses better plays he could make. I still see him more as a Junior scorer than an NHL prospect, however. I like his hockey sense, but don't think it's high-end. His skating will really have to improve for him to translate his playmaking to higher levels. Adding some physical skills would help, too.

David St-Louis: February 10th, 2023 - Shawinigan Cataractes vs. Cape Breton Eagles - QMJHL

Squires lacks the technical ability necessary to project to the NHL. He can't chain plays in movement due to a very wide stride that
lacks depth. He's a passer who links plays and positions well overall. He could become a good Junior player, a productive one, but I doubt he ever moves well enough to reach the highest level. Learning to shoot in stride more fluidly would open up his scoring.

David St-Louis: January 21st, 2023 - Cape Breton Eagles vs. Shawinigan Cataractes - QMJHL

We have to look past Cam Squires's skating. Right now, his hunched-over form and wide stride limit how much we can project him to an NHL role. But he's an intelligent player, one who can intercept opposing plays and transform them into offence, make imaginative passing plays, fakes, and who can find openings in goalie's coverage. He has the offence and adding just a bit more speed and agility would certainly unlock it even more.

David St-Louis: October 13th, 2022 - Charlottetown Islanders vs. Cape Breton Eagles - QMJHL

Squires has some really great ideas. He makes more complex plays than many of his teammates, especially off the rush. He cuts laterally and uses the back layers of the attack. He tries to veil his plays. His connection rate isn't all that high, or at least it wasn't in this game -- he made a few blind passes - - but the hockey sense seems to be a positive.
(Game Reports quoted under spoiler)
Scouting Report

Cam Squires's statistical profile is enticing. He has NHL size, but also a lighter build, suggesting that he might have room for growth than other draft-eligible forwards. And he showed year-to-year scoring development; his production with the Cape Breton Eagles almost doubled this season.

The Eagles forward understands the playmaking game - that deception works best against defencemen, that the players who have the most space are the ones behind him on the attack, and that he can hit these rush trailers with abrupt changes of speed and turns.

"He's an intelligent player, one who can intercept opposing plays and transform them into offence, make imaginative passing plays, fakes, and who can find openings in goalie's coverage," Elite Prospects lead scout David St-Louis wrote in a report in January.

With his passing skills and offensive sense, Squires should help the Eagles continue their ascent up the standings, but these qualities, on their own, won't be enough to carry him to an NHL role. To become a better NHL prospect, the forward will need to add more ancillary skills, like a better puck protection game and more agility moves.

210C2DBB-C8AE-4174-93E3-BD1976315400.jpeg

224 players ranked and ~90 HM
2713299C-849A-4AD2-9815-FB1C352B79D8.jpeg
83943C6E-988E-42BE-B468-669FC0B98380.jpeg
Playing on a retooling Cape Breton squad, Squires' game improved a lot in the second half of the year as he gained confidence in his ability to attack between the dots. A highly skilled and intelligent winger, Squires has great scoring upside thanks to his finishing ability. The key for him is to further improve his linear quickness and strength on the puck. Squires probably goes higher than we have him ranked, however our East scouts are not sold on his NHL projection. - BO

Out of 240 ranked players
B856B0EC-0F11-4B23-B38B-83F2CD698B94.jpeg

3DE755E7-E89D-4B8C-8898-7BCFE53D5499.jpeg
Skilled, hard-working winger that has a knack for setting up goals. Held back by his lack of strength. Will throw the body around and grind out players along the walls. Knocked around quite easily due to lack of weight. Dump and chase kind of player, has the speed to track down the puck. Extremely hard working on the forecheck and will harass his man into coughing up the puck. Uses a strong stick to badger opponent with constant stick checks. Willing to sacrifice the body for the betterment of the team. Can find a second gear while skating to beat out defenders. Defends the puck quite well using his speed and body, adding that weight will make him even more dangerous. Stout puck control and can make some moves as well. Has the IQ and vision to always scan the ice before going into the boards to look for possible dump off passes once he’s pulled defenders out of place. Not the flashiest player but can drop some jaws with some beautiful passes. Perfect set up man for a sniper on his line. Improving shot that has some quality velocity but will pass off over ripping a shot home. If he can add the weight in a timely fashion and keep his speed, he should be able to become a quality two-way player. - TK

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

"For the last two weeks, the six-foot, 160-pound Squires has been training in California with former Canadian Football Player Chris Munford, who’s the CEO and president of California Sports Institute Inc."

“I’ve been working on my movement from head-to-toe,” said Squires, noting the connection to Munford came through his agent."

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
TV said very good skater, this report says it needs work.

Skinny kid for sure.

Button has him 87th.

Think I like this pick, I assume he's going the college route?

Very much like this write up. 90th, and debated ranking him higher.
I'd call Squires an average skater, which is fine but not ideal. He's raw, but there's middle 6 upside here if his development goes well. He's not close to as refined as Hameenaho but possesses greater ultimate upside.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2